Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding civ question...  (Read 795 times)

Ryke Masters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding civ question...
« on: October 26, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

I'm attempting to mod in a primitive troll civilization for use in Adventure mode. Seems to work, I can choose a troll in Adventurer mode, I made them intelligent, and I gave them some pretty low-tech stuff (Loincloths, sandals, stone warhammers and mauls), I even modded in troll-sized slings and sling bullets because I figured they wouldn't use bows and blowguns suck, but now I can't actually find one of their towns to check if it all works. Is there any way to actually select the Troll civ I want at character creation, as with the standard races?

I'd also appreciate if anyone could make or point me to a checklist of the tokens that should be there (for the creature and entity files) in order for them to make settlements. That's a bit of a hassle though, and I'm pretty sure I've done it all. I made a new world, too. >_>

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Modding civ question...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

There are several tokens that make a civ generated as a playable civ in adventurer mode: a nuisance or babysnatcher race will never be playable (they won't make full "countries" of cities), a [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] civ will be used in fortress mode, and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] will make the civ controllable in adventurer mode even if it is a nuisance race.

So, your civ must be: [SIEGER] or [AMBUSHER], and [something_SETTLEMENTS], ie mountain, in order to make proper settlements. They will replace a large number of the previous one and sometimes none will generate at all, so if you go to adventurer mode and don't see it there, you'll have to make the world over again.

Ryke Masters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

They have to have the SIEGER or AMBUSHER token? I don't quite like the thought of being sieged entirely by trolls in Fortress mode, but I'll try it then. But won't that make them replace human civs, which'd make them live on plains, or does the [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS] token overrule that?

And for the record, I can play as a troll using Play Now!, the thing is they don't spawn in Troll settlements, and therefore I'm not sure there are any.

[ October 26, 2007: Message edited by: Ryke Masters ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

If you give them [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS] then your trolls will live in the equivalent of dwarf halls. [SIEGER] alone won't make them displace humans; Dwarves have that tag too.

Ryke Masters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

Created two new worlds after adding SEIGER, no troll civs in the race/civ selection for Adventurer mode. I don't see what I'm missing, so it might just be luck. I went on a bit od exploring with a dwarf adventurer, and found no troll mountain halls. =/ Here's the troll entity bit, if it helps.

code:
[ENTITY:TROLL]
   [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS]
   [SIEGER]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:TROLL]
   [TRANSLATION:GOBLIN]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MAUL]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SLING]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SLINGBULLETS]
   [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:COMMON]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SANDAL:UNCOMMON]
   [INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_DRUM]
   [CLOTHING]
   [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:WILD]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:VIOLENT]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:UNTOWARD]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:UGLY]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:ALL:PRIMITIVE]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL :DOMESTIC]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:FLOWERY]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:HOLY]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:PEACE]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATOR]
   [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:GOOD]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:SITE:NAME_ENTITY_TOWN_FOUNDER]
   [STONE_PREF]

SLING and SLINGBULLETS have been properly put in as weapon and ammo.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

This looks like an exciting mod! I hope you decide to um... share... it with us when it works!
(by the way, wouldn't Trolls be a 'forest' civ? that's the tag that elves use, and would you really mind if the trolls overwrote the elves?)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ryke Masters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

D&D trolls would be forest, but I always imagined DF trolls as Tolkien trolls in dark caves, which makes sense seeing as trolls are tameable, and I don't think D&D trolls would be.  Besides, D&D trolls are greenish, and DF trolls appear grey.

I'll post it there, if it works. I upped trolls' damage reduction to make them more useful without armor (I don't imagine trolls just walk into stores, give up gold pieces, and buy full plate) and made their punches stronger.

EDIT: I added [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] (Which I didn't want, don't want them in Fortress mode) and it works. Is that necessary, or was I just not lucky the 5-ish other worlds I created? Problem not is sling users don't have ammo, despite sling bullets being apparently right. I'll look into that tomorrow, sleep tiem for now.

[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Ryke Masters ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

This seems like a good place to ask: is it possible to add CIV_CONTROLLABLE without making the civilization have Mountain Halls for settlements?
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 06:15:00 am »

I made a custom plains race able to make a fortress by adding civ controllable to thier entity def AFTER worldgen.  But DF crashed 50% of the time on fortress creation and reclaim, and when I visited thier plains towns later in adventure mode they appeared to pack up the whole town and move into some dwarven mountain halls.

Otherwise it worked.  I should also point out this was the non-Z version.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!