Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Incandescence - turn 4 - 4/4 players  (Read 2834 times)

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
Re: Incandescence - turn 1 - 4/4 players
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 01:21:28 pm »

Space is big. Really big. We have better odds of being the first to actually investigate stuff other people have found than to actually stumble on something in the middle of nowhere.

Accelerate into the current.

You raise a very good point.
+1

Updated my original response to reflect this change.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:29:28 pm by S1lentWanderer »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 04:45:36 pm »

"Sonia" (my narrative control) will set whichever course gets majority vote. Unless BlackPaladin99 weighs in, that's accelerate along the current, right?

I'd rather not run the second turn without any input from him, of course.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 10:17:55 pm »

Well, nothing from him... update will be sometime tomorrow at the latest, then. He did say in some other thread that he wouldn't be super active for a bit.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Incandescence - turn 2 - 4/4 players
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 09:30:47 pm »

Accelerate into the current.
Gun the engine into the current. We've many miles to tread yet, best to make as good of time as we can.

[3] Having made it back to engineering station, Morgan throws the switches to fire up the engine. The rooms near the aft of the Quintessence warm over several minutes as the coils heat, cloaked in static that sucks ether greedily through them. The Quintessence rotates gently in space to stay aligned with the current and shoots forward. All is well for about an hour, then there's a loud crackling and the coils slow down.

The sensory appendages mounted on the outside of the ship relay a report to the scientists' station, but the printout is garbled and can't be understood directly. Dr. Vellan unfurls the still-warm printout and tries to interpret it, [6] discovering that the instruments indicate some unexpected curl in ether somewhere within the engine. If something physical got in there somehow, it's not something anyone picked up on the periscopes. The report doesn't match up with running into a whirlpool either.

The engines are still on, but the crackling noises become louder as they fail to compensate. If they're interacting with the ether in an unexpected way, the vessel certainly won't be traveling on its expected course.

Players:
Spoiler: Dr. Mia (Egan_BW) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Vellan (syvarris) (click to show/hide)
Sonia Potmend (NPC): Navigator
Vessel Status: the Quintessence's engines are nominally at full power, but are behaving erratically in practice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:32:47 pm by Eschar »

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 10:24:47 pm »

Miles feels the shuddering of the engines, and gives the part of the mechanism that is making the loudest noise a swift kick.

"Shaddup, you hunk of scrap. Don't have time to argue with you, we're in a bit of a time crunch. Just get back to doing what you're told."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 01:10:12 am »

The loudest sound emanates from deeper within the engine area. Finding something to kick there will require entry into an area much closer to the actual coils, but it is a viable choice. Continue (Y/N)?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:14:04 am by Eschar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 11:02:28 am »

Cobble together a magnetic chamber to contain the hypothesized 'curl'! This phenomena must be studied!

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 11:38:31 am »

The loudest sound emanates from deeper within the engine area. Finding something to kick there will require entry into an area much closer to the actual coils, but it is a viable choice. Continue (Y/N)?

Continue. Modern problems require modern solutions, and something in there needs some percussive maintenance.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 02:26:21 pm »

Review sensor logs prior to the engine failure.  Try to find hints of what might have caused this; was the ether outside abnormal in any way?  Or perhaps something more subtle went wrong first, and it only caused a large enough effect to draw our attention after it grew?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 02:38:13 pm »

Slight mechanical change!

Previously: roles that don't fit a specialized task got a flat -1 penalty to their roll when attempting that task, with the fitting role using regular d6.

From now on: roles that fit a task get advantage on the roll (use highest of 2 rolls). Taking an action that needs a role other than your own uses regular d6, instead of penalty.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:42:58 pm by Eschar »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

Miles feels the shuddering of the engines, and gives the part of the mechanism that is making the loudest noise a swift kick.

"Shaddup, you hunk of scrap. Don't have time to argue with you, we're in a bit of a time crunch. Just get back to doing what you're told."

Morgan decides to confront the problem at its root: the engine coil! Hurrying towards the engine core, he worms through a darkened emergency access port to the "monitoring bay": a long crawlspace barely lit by amber incandescents, ringing the length of the ship between the engine coils and livable space. There isn't much observation to be had - the only view of the actual coils is through long narrow 'ports' of very reinforced glass piercing the thick wall between the bay and the vacuum that the coils live in.

Still, through the glare put off by the struggling coils, he discerns the closest point in the bay to where the coils mount to the ship. Muttering, "shaddup, you hunk of scrap, just get back to doing what you're told," he squeezes around to that area. Winding up in the cramped crawlspace, he delivers a mighty kick to that panel and - by some mechanical miracle, the crackling stops! There's still some worrying noise from the coil area, but the glare from the coils resolves to a healthier tint.

Something floats past him in the crawlspace - "up", out radially from the engine core towards the inhabited area of the craft. There's nothing to touch, but he's sure he saw a... flutter? a flicker? It's gone now. So is the noise.

Cobble together a magnetic chamber to contain the hypothesized 'curl'! This phenomena must be studied!

Dr. Mia nimbly disassembles a probably-nonessential equipment panel and looks over the components. A few coils, some wiry mesh, vacuum tube, reactive etherometer - yeah, she can work with this. She fashions an etheric tokamak, suitable for confining electromagnetic or etheric phenomena! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like she can manufacture another one without cannibalizing something actually important.

Dr. Mia can hear a faint crackling from nearby. Sounds familiar. Hoisting the tokamak in her mechanical chelicerae, she clatters off towards the mystery, nay, the opportunity!

Review sensor logs prior to the engine failure.  Try to find hints of what might have caused this; was the ether outside abnormal in any way?  Or perhaps something more subtle went wrong first, and it only caused a large enough effect to draw our attention after it grew?

Dr. Vellan worries at the cooling printouts as his colleague glides out of the room. Sadly, he can't puzzle out much more from them. It seems like the information from the sensors on the front of the ship started noticing the curl first. Odd.

Players:
Spoiler: Dr. Mia (Egan_BW) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Vellan (syvarris) (click to show/hide)
Sonia Potmend (NPC): Navigator
Vessel Status: Engine's back to normal!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:27:20 am by Eschar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile

I ain't afraid of no ghost!

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile

Attempt to shout up to the rest of the crew over the engine noise, warning them about the oncoming ethero-spiritual entity.

"Fixed the rattlin', but y'all have somethin' headed your way! Looks like a ghost or somesuch."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

I'm afraid no one will be able to hear you past the observation crawlspace. Change action (Y/N)?

It's information Morgan would be able to assume, so you get a chance to reconsider.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:33:52 am by Eschar »

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile

Hmmm. It's already outpaced me, and I can't warn the others. Troubling.

Change Action: Inspect the coils more closely, whatever that ghost was isn't my problem now. The smart people can figure out the ghost, I'm here to keep the ship moving, and if I've learned one thing about engines it's that there's always some tuning up that can be done to make them faster, more efficient, or whatever. If there's a hood to poke around under, poke around under it. If not, then whatever maintenance/optimization is available.

"Already crammed myself in here, may as well see if I can't get a bit more oomph out of these coils.  Where'd I put that wrench?"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 04:00:52 pm by S1lentWanderer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3