Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waging War (Requesting Advice)  (Read 1208 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waging War (Requesting Advice)
« on: May 08, 2023, 03:49:27 pm »

My current game has my civ at war with neighboring elves. I've never messed around with missions or raids before, but I'm toying with the idea of making a commitment to this world to fully conquer their entire nation. That being said, I'd like some advice and answers to a few questions

When I send squads to attack another site, how much of the population should I assume are military? How many need to be taken out for the site to be considered conquered? What are the odds of citizens revolting against an occupying force and how many dwarves should I leave there to deal with such a thing? Will elves from conquered sites potentially turn to my side and be able to be requested as warriors?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Waging War (Requesting Advice)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 03:16:53 am »

When I send squads to attack another site, how much of the population should I assume are military?
All of the nobility present will defend the site. The sieges I do assume 1/3 of the population will also defend the site.
With elves the problem is not so much their military (it's trash) but tbewar zoo they keep on hand for this kind of situation.
How many need to be taken out for the site to be considered conquered?
To capture a position it needs to be surrendered. Either you attack and conquer, or you demand surrender, then attack and conquer. Both of those options, if successul, result in a captured settlement.
What are the odds of citizens revolting against an occupying force
None afaik
and how many dwarves should I leave there to deal with such a thing?
I usually let 5 to 10 with a squad of wardogs just in case, bvut my captured settlements are never attacked.
If you have squads of weaponmasters with full metal armor, keep in mind they can deal with elven armies far greater in size, and that advantage is compounded if you have also superior tactics.
Will elves from conquered sites potentially turn to my side and be able to be requested as warriors?
Unless it changed with the new version, no

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 08:39:04 am »

On the last three questions

Any site you conquer in fort mode can't be reconquered by anyone else. They can attack it, but they will fail. If you wanna make the sites conquerable by enemies you gotta start a new fort or retire and unretire

You can't request them or get them in migrant waves, but they will generate.
If you ever playa  civ at war with your old civ you will be invaded by people from that civ so you'll be fighting elves in iron and steel armor, etc.

Kruggsmash did this in one video where he waged war on a civilization he controlled in a previous fort that incorporated thousands of goblins into its civ. So the invasions were mostly goblins except now they had steel gear to make them more menacing!

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 08:07:35 am »

My current game has my civ at war with neighboring elves. I've never messed around with missions or raids before, but I'm toying with the idea of making a commitment to this world to fully conquer their entire nation. That being said, I'd like some advice and answers to a few questions

When I send squads to attack another site, how much of the population should I assume are military?

I found mysef, that you basically can't tell if a site is heavily defended or not. Most sites are not, but then a random site can demolosh your army of steel clad axelords.

Size seems to me to matter enourmously in off-site combat, much more than skill and gears. So if they have some big creatures like elephants or whatever, you can be in trouble.

I am thinking, maybe it is good to do some recon by spending a squad of expendable dwarves first to check out what's there. IDK if any would survive though to tell the tale?

It's either that or an admittably pretty low risk that a random easy-looking site destroys your army so you have to make another one.

Another option is maybe to raid all the livestock first, to clean out the animals in the site so the army only faces elves, whom they should destroy.
IDK which way is easier.

Asdfe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 09:28:50 pm »

Tactician skill is very good, but be sure to send a messenger to recall them after capturing a site before they decide to settle down and declare themselves ruler of the captured site.

Ambush is good for violentless raids that just take livestock or treasure. Situationally good, but maybe not in your situation. You could use ambusher to try and steal some war animals.

Speaking of which, war animals are great. Grizzlies are a good choice, as they're fierce and breed decently well. Assign them to dwarves on squads, then send the squad out as normal.

Finally, you can get surprisingly far by sending troops out just to demand surrender. Not worthwhile if your goal is to cleanse the world of elves, though, as then they'll just be living under your rule.

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 04:58:05 am »

Demand surrender is probably bugged. I've never seen a (Q) raid fail, even if I sent a single unskilled peasant as the attack squad.

You also need to be aware of when the conquered site's administrator dies, because I've seen conquered sites suddenly turn "no civilized population" when that happens, and then you have to wait for some NPC civ to settle in it before you can interact with it again. And refrain from making a megabeast or semi-megabeast into your administrator, as it WILL leave the conquered site to terrorize others, leading to the same problem.

Also, try siezing a vault :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 10:39:47 pm »

Demand surrender is probably bugged. I've never seen a (Q) raid fail, even if I sent a single unskilled peasant as the attack squad.

I have. Seems to be based on the size of the site population.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 04:13:59 pm »

Yeah, demand surrenders will be refused if the attacking party isn't big enough. I would usually batter down an enemy settlement, then send a single useless dwarf to occupy the settlement with a demand surrender outing.