Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Tower of Makhios - I Lost Count of the Turns (8/8, waitlist open)  (Read 11017 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile

The Tower of Makhios

”The Tower is older than memory itself - that is what we have been told. ‘The Tower came first,’ the clergy of that place say, ‘and the city after.’ I do not care old and venerable the place is, however; the shadow it casts over the soul is greater than even that cast by its awesome height. The place reeks of greed, and of sorrow, and of death. Do not be dazzled by those that return... be afear'd by those that do not, for they are doubtless far more numerous.”

-Brüder Johannes Antoninus, Abbot of Grelitz, 988

In the Year 1022, the Tower of Makhios, an enigmatic monument of a past age, stands yet enduring at the mouth of the Gulf of Selenopolis, dwarfing even the tallest man-made structures of the city. It is a holy site, administered by priests of Makhios, God of Battle. Some say that the Tower is the haft of the bloodthirsty deity's spear, plunged into the land, while others say it is the first of his temples, built in the spot where he was born out of his slain father's blood.

While the Tower's origin is shrouded in mystery, its contents draw great champions and unproven warriors from all corners of the world, and tales of the riches within have spread to even the most remote hamlets. The Tower functions on a simple principle; those who enter are free to loot as they please, and those who manage to leave sometimes do so with a fabulous amount of wealth in tow. Swords and armor of the finest make, crowns and scepters beset with sparkling gemstones, and the hides of exotic beasts have all been brought triumphantly from the Tower, yet not all gifts within are material: unnatural vitality, striking beauty, and even the ability to work magic have been bestowed upon the most fortunate.

These treasures come at a cost, even to those who survive unscathed: much of one's memory of their time within the Tower is quickly taken from them should they leave its threshold. The priests say that this is a blessing of Makhios; a warrior who forgets their foes so too forgets their fears, and fear is the bane of the warrior. Sparse fragments of these memories may return, briefly beheld in dreams - or nightmares - but they are all that survive the Tower's overwhelming magic.

Spoiler: Rules and Rolling (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How do I Win? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Feel free to ask questions if anything at all is unclear - this is my first RTD since I lost my account's password about 4 years ago!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 10:24:42 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 01:25:58 pm »

interesting.
I'll likely be making a character sheet in a bit. lil busy atm.

could you tell us a bit more about the world? does the world outside the tower have monsters? non-human civilizations?
what is the tech level of the world outside the tower? are people just beginning to experiment with matchlocks? do people know how to make steel reliably?
arcane and arcana seem to be part of the world, how well is it understood? are there research facilities for it?
how literate is the populace? are there good roads between cities or are people going to have traveled cross-country to reach the tower? what type of government are we living under?
you said our goal is roughly 10,000 Crowns plus for a Tower raid, how much money is that? a year's salary? a dragon's hoard? a day's stay at an inn?

no need to answer all of this, I'm just trying to decide on character background and want to feel out what the setting is like and what kind of character I could bring.

so that you know, if the option is available I'm quite likely to play a non-human character, but it looks like your game isn't designed for that and I don't want to break anything.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:27:33 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 02:09:27 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 02:11:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello! I'm more than happy to answer your questions.

I did not do too much speculation into the nature of the world outside, but I did not initially imagine non-human civilized races as being a part of it. That being said, this is because I didn't imagine much of it at all - if you wish to play an elf, a troll, a lizard person, or anything in between or beyond, that is totally fine - that being said, your character will have the same perks and stats available to them regardless of their race.

Both the technology and extant cultures of the world are roughly cognate with the 15th century of our own, although anachronisms are certainly welcome - if you want your character to be a Greek-style hoplite or a Viking-esque marauder, this is absolutely fine as well. Early firearms, while present, are unwieldy and far from omnipresent due to their expense of manufacture and operation. Arcana is far from an exact science, and is treated differently by different cultures: some view the ability to use magic as a blessing, while others see it as antithetical to holiness, and a facet of witchcraft.

Travel is certainly not easy, but pilgrims to the Tower are afforded many rights and protections in most lands. The Tower itself is under the jurisdiction of the Priesthood of Makhios, headquartered in the city of Selenopolis, capital of the Antezuntine Empire, an absolute imperial monarchy.

10,000 crowns is more than a peasant could hope to make in a lifetime, roughly equivalent to the cost of 20(!) good warhorses. It’s a bit hard to equate this to a tangible value in real-world currency, but fret not! There will be opportunities to appraise the worth of your loot within the Tower. 

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:51:12 pm by Rethi-Eli »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 10:40:16 pm »

I'll get to work on a sheet when I get home.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 01:58:27 am »

Spoiler: Meleria (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 11:08:24 am »

Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 08:54:15 am by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 01:11:10 pm »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:12:46 pm by TricMagic »

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 03:06:48 pm »

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Artistic Rendition (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 09:16:22 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 07:31:56 pm »

WIP

Will post sheet tomorrow

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 07:59:00 pm »

Sheet:

Spoiler: Arek the Butcher (click to show/hide)

Changed my mind. Here, a wild sheet with a misleading name
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:09:10 am by Knightwing64 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 08:48:21 pm »

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 10:59:50 pm »

Spoiler: Meleria (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Artistic Rendition (click to show/hide)
Sheet:

Spoiler: Arek the Butcher (click to show/hide)

Changed my mind. Here, a wild sheet with a misleading name

Accepted, one and all. At this point, I'm inclined to wait just a bit further, so that we can start with a solid 8 tower-delvers.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 11:13:21 pm »

Not sure if my build is good for anything, but I guess if I die I'll get to try something else! :D

First idea was unshakeable nun, as pretty much a morale tank with whatever "communing with the divine" is on the side, and my second idea was a non-combat knight. Who would probably work as a great normal tank if we found heavy armor.

For some reason basically all of my ideas involved dumping Skill.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 11:34:16 pm »

eh I'm probably the most 'tanky' character already, with with my approved total of '4' brawn and ability to wear heavy armor.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12