Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Work order conditionals  (Read 2061 times)

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work order conditionals
« on: April 15, 2023, 01:18:25 pm »

Are these OR conditionals or AND conditionals?

In my experience, they appear to be OR conditionals. However, they're set up like they're AND conditionals. Is it glitched?

My example is that I would only like to make fine meals if I already have sufficient easy meals. If they're AND conditionals, I would just need:
Unrotten prepared meals is greater than 100
Unrotten prepared meals is less than 150

Using that style of conditionals elsewhere, I have ended up with massive numbers of extra items, such as when I set up a conditional to make 10 items, but only if at least 10 of the raw materials are available. I get 100+ in that kind of situation. This is why I feel it might be an OR conditional.

If they are indeed OR conditionals, then I need to check the status of my other meal prep:
If completed "Prepare Easy Meal" then
(And I'm not even sure this would work...)

So, OR or AND for work order conditionals?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 01:51:19 pm by Aloriel »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Work order conditionals
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 04:10:37 pm »

They are AND.  All conditions must be met before a work order can activate.  (Verify this in v0.47 by generating conditions "from reagents" or "from products".)

Keep the following things in mind:
  • Food is made in stacks.  Cooks will fetch four entire stacks of ingredients for making lavish meals, resulting in that many meals from just one job.
  • Items in containers (such as bins) may not count towards the total available items while the container is used by any unrelated task.
  • Reagent and product conditions are best inserted automatically using the "suggested conditions" in v0.50 or the hotkeys in v0.47

If the orders keep producing more than you expect, please show a specific example.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 06:22:57 pm »

Unrotten prepared meals is greater than 100

Wouldn't this stop meal production forever if you ever fell below 101?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 07:46:09 pm »

Of fine meals, yes. Of easy meals which go until greater than 100, no. Fine meals are bonus for mood. Easy meals are there in case I have a shortage of ingredients.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 03:35:34 pm »

Given that cooking creates a number of items equal to the combined sizes of the ingredient stacks, I believe that there’s no reason not to just set your cook to making lavish meals from the get-go.  Also, (while I’m just starting out) I like to set the order conditions so that I have twice as many meals as citizens (it used to be 3 before I found out that visitors don’t eat).  This leaves me with a one season buffer (which I probably should expand it…). 

Similarly, I set conditions to ensure that the number of drinks that I have on hand is equal to five times the number of citizens.

Unfortunately, this does require me to edit the conditions every time I get a new citizen.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 12:07:05 pm »

Given that cooking creates a number of items equal to the combined sizes of the ingredient stacks, I believe that there’s no reason not to just set your cook to making lavish meals from the get-go.

If you have fewer than 4 ingredents, those last few can be turned in a small batch of easy or fine meals.
In the unlikely event you are trying to max skill gain then your want to opt for easy meals too as you end of with more xp per ingredient.

Also, (while I’m just starting out) I like to set the order conditions so that I have twice as many meals as citizens (it used to be 3 before I found out that visitors don’t eat).  This leaves me with a one season buffer (which I probably should expand it…). 

Similarly, I set conditions to ensure that the number of drinks that I have on hand is equal to five times the number of citizens.

It never occurred to me to base the meal numbers on the population... damn it that is so obvious in retrospect, we should ask to have a type "citizen" we can use for the numeric orders.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 12:28:01 am »

Also, (while I’m just starting out) I like to set the order conditions so that I have twice as many meals as citizens (it used to be 3 before I found out that visitors don’t eat).  This leaves me with a one season buffer (which I probably should expand it…). 

It never occurred to me to base the meal numbers on the population... damn it that is so obvious in retrospect, we should ask to have a type "citizen" we can use for the numeric orders.

See here and here(near the top).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 01:36:01 am »

Given that cooking creates a number of items equal to the combined sizes of the ingredient stacks, I believe that there’s no reason not to just set your cook to making lavish meals from the get-go.
All meal types give the same XP so easy meals are the best way to level up a cook rapidly.

That said it happens fairly quickly anyway so considering the higher likelihood of a lavish meal being pleasing to a dwarf because of its ingredients, I'd still usually just go ahead with lavish from the beginning.  This might be different if you had a very difficult embark where your food sources were very limited and biscuits were the best you could do and feed everyone.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 11:21:08 pm »

All meal types give the same XP so easy meals are the best way to level up a cook rapidly.

That said it happens fairly quickly anyway so considering the higher likelihood of a lavish meal being pleasing to a dwarf because of its ingredients, I'd still usually just go ahead with lavish from the beginning.  This might be different if you had a very difficult embark where your food sources were very limited and biscuits were the best you could do and feed everyone.

Personally, I see little significance in either argument.  Cooking experience is earned fastest by rendering obscene amounts of fat from the Forgotten Beast Of The Week, or even just from any wild animals.  Cooks usually take all ingredient stacks from the same source, in my experience.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 07:45:02 pm »

Personally, I see little significance in either argument.  Cooking experience is earned fastest by rendering obscene amounts of fat from the Forgotten Beast Of The Week, or even just from any wild animals.  Cooks usually take all ingredient stacks from the same source, in my experience.
For that you need an FB that you can actually kill (and that is butcherable).  If you do nothing but roll FBs made of iron ore that shoot webs, this isn't going to work.  If you embarked with cats I suppose you could induce a catsplosion and use that.  In either event, though, you end up with giant piles of a nearly worthless ingredient that will ruin any roast you put it in. 

I usually just start with lavish (after enough biscuits to last a little while) (and setting a max final products conditional to keep cooking easy off unless we are short) because I want an excess of food to eat so I can use it as a trade good, which playing 0.47.05 still, is wickedly broken.  I'd rather have a giant pile of high quality roasts than a giant pile of a junk ingredient.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 07:46:45 pm by muldrake »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 09:37:36 pm »

So if you take a look in your "\Dwarf Fortress 0.47.05\dfhack-config\orders\library" folder (if you aren't using DFHack I have no words for you) you'll find a pretty comprehensive set of work orders that Myk and I put together. Including meal prep. While they aren't perfect we worked hard to minimize cancellation spam (it makes me insane) and they are pretty good examples of how to use work orders (I'm particularly proud of the armor & weapons ones).

That being said, the latest published Myk did some changes on his own I am just getting around to trying out myself. Traditionally I've always just done lavish meals from the get go, but we've got a panic level of under 400 for biscuits now which will make up to 150 per order. So far I am pretty non-plussed with all the cancelation spam. The lavish meals have more complex conditions but also now don't kick in until we're over 400. Considering it is seldom and only early on that I might not have 4 different ingredients to make a lavish meal (I can probably hold out until then anyway) and you get the same amount of meals per ingredient I can't see any compelling reason to ever make anything other than lavish so I'm not sure why the change. Maybe he was testing something.

So anywho, food is just too easy, at least in 47.05. Now booze I will panic if that runs low, but food they just don't eat often enough. I bring enough to make 20 roasts and that alone will get to 1st caravan. Butchering and cooking the pack animals covers any migrants and gives surplus. 1st caravan I'll buy ingredients but by 2nd my farming and geese are up and running and I don't really think about food anymore other than how much do I want to sell as a trade good. 5x5 storage next to the great hall and we stop making lavish meals at 3500. A single kitchen. 3 Chefs who cook/butcher/tan hides. I'm sure it is overkill, even for 200+ but once the fort is established, it is fire and forget.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 11:53:25 pm »

If you have fewer than 4 ingredents, those last few can be turned in a small batch of easy or fine meals.

You might want to keep some spare raw food for starving animals.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2023, 08:24:02 am »

Wait!What?
Animals eat food? I thought only grazers graze and the rest transmute nutrients out of the air.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 10:49:56 am »

Wait!What?
Animals eat food? I thought only grazers graze and the rest transmute nutrients out of the air.

Grazers which are not assigned to a pasture (such as pets) must be fed.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 10:10:44 pm »

And this may also be limited to grazers, but I found that when I caught animals in traps (in my case they were unicorns, so, grazers) and constructed the cages in my fort, the dwarves needed to feed the animals in the cages, too.

I also caught some... dingos, I think, but I didn't keep them in the cages long enough to find out if I needed to feed them. Or maybe I wouldn't have noticed -- because the unicorns left seeds behind and that's how I knew they were being fed. If dingos eat meat, for example... that doesn't leave seeds behind so unless I caught them with a memory of being fed recently, I wouldn't actually know that it had happened I think.
Pages: [1] 2