Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding an Old Fortress  (Read 848 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding an Old Fortress
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:22:00 am »

My human hammerer is nigh unstoppable now, so I'm ready for him to visit my old fortresses, especially my last one.  But how do I find it?  I've wandered around for a while, asking about surroundings.  And while in fortress mode I wrote down all the names of the nearby civilizations.  But the world map is huge, and it seems like it'll take forever, especially if I charge off in the wrong direction and have to circle back.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an Old Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:22:00 am »

Really the only way is to mark the location when you start the fortress. It's hard to rely on blind luck to stumble upon it on a map this size. When I start a fortress I figure out exactly where on the world map it is before embarking. This can be quite a challenge in itself.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

Asking around is how I usually find them.  After someone tells me about the fortress (or if you're not paying attention to what they say) I go to the map and look for the fortress in the list (mind you this isn't the world map you use to travel I'm looking at, just the actual map your adventurer carries.).  Then I just follow the green path as well as I can.

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

Does anyone know if the newer version will have the ability to easily mark the fortress location on the world map?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

Choose 'start now' and you'll start at one of your fortresses.  Then wander around a bit and discover nearby important locations.  Later on, you can use those to find your way back.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

I've done this before: remember to export a world map just after world creation. While selecting a location, find it on the world bmp file, and (optionally) mark it. In the fortress mode, look at the civ screen and note the name of the dwarven or human civs.

Then, once you get in to Adventure, start in one of those civs. Find your location on the world map (by comparing the in-game map to your bmp file). Voilą, you can march to your old fort.

Just asking around is usually easier, like Pacho said. As long as you start in the same civ.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Choose 'start now' and you'll start at one of your fortresses.  Then wander around a bit and discover nearby important locations.  Later on, you can use those to find your way back.</STRONG>

Aquillion has a good point. The best way to handle it is to 'retire' your old adventurer, and keep starting 'play now!' cavemen until you find the place you want, then wander around to get the local areas a little and starve yourself.
Then go back onto your megafighter and go hunt down the local areas. At the worst you'll lose about a 'month', game time.

Random sidenote: Yes, the 'play now' characters are cave men. Possessed cave men. They start off fully  matured (adult) with no skills and naked.