Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Space Wars (turn 6)  (Read 3587 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wars (turn 4)
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2023, 04:26:27 am »

Should be fixed now.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2023, 11:32:21 am »

I'm short one drone

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2023, 01:55:13 am »

Gain access to the Telepathic Insight ability, which can be used once per Turn, to reveal the orders of another Player for that Turn (this does not count as submitting your turn, but just like it can only be done once! Additionally, if the targeted player stalls (or is very late), you will have an extra 24 hours from their submission to submit your own turn.)
The way this rule is worded has undesirable side effects. Since only a late submission from the targeted players allows a psionic an extension, non-psionics are encouraged to delay their turn to discover if they are being spied on or not. It also encourages psionics to delay their turn, in order not to reveal this information.

Perhaps this rule could be improved, for example by allowing psionics to submit their turn after all other players are crossed out? Or in some other way.

And a second request, could you please announce the deadline in GMT as part of a turn update? Then I do not have to do an error prone translation from forum time to local time.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2023, 03:58:41 am »

Yeah, as fun as it is to spy on your neighbors, psions are definitely getting a different ability in the sequel.
I am also thinking of replacing Psychic Assault with Mind Control: "choose an enemy and a star system, during all battles in this star system on this turn one of this player's RPs will switch sides." It's still a net 2 bonus, but allows for interesting shenanigans.

And a second request, could you please announce the deadline in GMT as part of a turn update? Then I do not have to do an error prone translation from forum time to local time.
Sure.

BTW, all moves are in and the turn will (hopefully) be processed tonight.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2023, 04:16:04 am »

Could mind control be used to take a territory that's only be defended by one dude? Or does there need to be a battle for you to be able to use it?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2023, 05:21:49 am »

In the current version, yes, a battle must occur for you to use this ability. But I'm just spit-balling right now, so if you think Mind Control should work differently, there's still time to convince me.

Maxine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wars (turn 5)
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2023, 06:42:25 am »

Please, please, stop whining if someone takes bit longer than you. Isn't like you have to think about your moves anyway. :P

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2023, 07:53:50 am »

All they have to do is see empty territory, and attack it. See an attack, defend it. Take a contested territory, just send 1 more RU than the other guy. (I had absolutely no hope of taking Thaanides early game. They'd just send more than me and invest the rest if possible, instead of split/conquering.)

zemaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2023, 11:59:31 am »

I actually like the Telepathy ability, its a nice thematic bit.  Just needs a nerf, something like X-shot, or only usable on even numbered turns, or has to be used on every player before you can hit any target a second time.

Or even a global action economy... every Tech gets an action or two, maybe some commander trait gets one as well, but can only use one or two actions each turn.  As one of the other "powered" techs, I can definitely see room for abuse of these systems, as they stand... the lock-down that can occur with Stasis being another, along with the delays Telepathy promotes.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2023, 12:08:56 pm »

Telepathy seems like it might be too powerful in a 1v1 situation with an evenly powered foe, though I suppose the foe could try to counter by just playing completely evenly making both attack and defence a challenge.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2023, 06:49:38 pm »

I do like how the ability to spy on and interfere with people across the map means psionic can be very diplo-focused. But insight 1v1 is indeed very strong. Chrono can counter it though by shutting down access and just out-scaling the psion. That only works if there are limited approaches. But given time Chrono absolutely beats psion. As the numbers involved increase the accuracy of our insight goes down. Though this is a rather small and rather tight map so the game was always going to move quickly. Honestly I quite like both psion and chrono.

Biomech and Taychon however are a bit of a different story;
Biomech seems like a tech that's only good when you're already winning. When you've got lots of planets you can use to recover drones and raise new ones. But there's not much you can use to help get you into the kind of position in the first place. Especially while everyone else has a lot of potent stuff at their disposal. What I would suggest for biomech in future games is some way to sacrifice drones for offensive benefits. Something like a once a turn ability that gives all drones participating in the targeted attack +1(or maybe even +2) to their value but are all lost after the battle is over even if you win. Then those drones can be regenerated as normal.

Taychon also needs a bit of fixing. Its abilities are deceptively powerful in the hands of someone playing very aggressively. You can squeeze a lot of combat power out of it and it would be a powerful tech set in a game that didn't have psions, chronos and yes even biomechs. As it is it's just not as interesting as the other factions and doesn't have any fun tools to play around with. What does Taychon need for future games? I don't know but I do know it needs something.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2023, 07:04:50 pm »

I played to a war and conquer playstyle, but resources meant I had no chance of beating the local pysker head-on. Hence attempting to reach Empire Status first, but they also did that, so.. A final assault that ended up failing. Least I rolled Defender for the new General.

That +1 to each drone could have ended up stacking into a ball of stats had I lasted long enough, but I'd also just ram headfirst into the Chronospacial Wall. Due to the narrow corridors of spacelanes, that kinda shuts me down if I'm attacking a single chokepoint. If I had broken past you Jerrik, Quarque would be fairly easy pickings. But in order to combat Chronotech, I'd need a Psion. Catch 22.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2023, 09:50:39 pm »

I disagree about this Jerick, imo Biomech and Tachyon are perfect while Psion and Chronotech are both broken OP and need a nerf, by Haspen game standards. The problem with Chronotech isn't as obvious yet, but it might become more clear in a few turns (NQT will be at 120 RU + unlimited drones on turn 9, coupled with the ability to make systems invincible).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2023, 08:51:05 am »

The Chrono freezing ability is quite nicely balanced, in that you get no RU from the system if you do freeze it, and you can't attack from it. So it's useful for defence, but the more investment you make the bigger the opportunity cost.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2023, 12:04:24 pm »

TURN 6

notquitethere
Uses timeskip on Cilliuwei temporarily boosting it to 9 RP
Invests 24 in Thutulea
Invest 12 in Celliuwei
Invest 12 in Zurn JO6
Raise drones on Zurn J06, Celliuwei, Grixonia  and Thutulea
Defends Grixonia, but no enemy comes
Defends Zurn JO6, but no enemy comes
Defends Celliuwei, but no enemy comes

Jerick
High Admiral Moonstein personally oversees the defense of  Yubarth with 19 ships and 2 drones and beat back the attackers.
Defends Chobrourus with 1 ship, but is defeated.
Make drones on Nerus, Yubarth, Benvilles, Uthaulea, Chobrourus
Invests 6 into Nerus, gaining 1 resource production.
Psionic assault zemaj's forces attacking Yubarth
Psionic sabotage Thaanides

Maxine
Declare galactic empire.
Timeskip on Lesihines temporarily restoring it to 5 RP.
Admiral Darjed Gurons perosnally oversees the defense of  Lesihines, but no enemy comes
Time Stasis on Launov

Empire of Tea
Build drones in Cunroatea, Millides
Admiral Killgore personally oversees the defense of Cunroatea , but no enemy comes

Starlink
Sabotage Chobrourus
Use Assault against the invading army of Zemaj in Yubarth
Defends Izovis with 10 ships and manages to repell the attackers.
Supreme Admiral Sedrick Vandermeulen personally leads the assault of Xevorth with 10 drones, 11 ships, they crush the defenders with overwhelming power.
Xevorth is conqeured. Sedrick Vandermeulen's show of force makes the surrender smoother and Xevorth is only pillaged for 5
Build drones on Garia, Gonrorix and Senarth
Invest 5 in Izovis
Invest 20 in Ladus YTE6
Defend Garia, but no enemy comes.

Kashyyk
Regenerate 1 Drone at Cippe C142
Build Drones at Cippe 142, Geruta and Xevorth
Supreme Admiral Choria V'josillit perosnally oversees the defence of Xevorth with 17 ships and 2 Drones, but are crushed by overwhelming force.
Supreme Admiral Choria V'josillit is surrounded with nowhere to run.
High Admiral Kekzad Soaelatet the conqueror wins on the "kick Stralink out of Xevorth" ticket.

zemaj
Uses timeskip on Dalerth temporarily boosting it to 10 RP
Build Drones in Cocarro, Narvis 9C, & Thaanides
Invest 9RU in Hazuno
Attackers of Yubarth report low morale.
Attacks Chobrourus with 1 ship
Attacks Yubarth with 17 ship: 17 -2 -2 + 6 Vs  4 + 19 + 6 + 7 = 19< 36
Supreme Admiral Unit GC-XE42 peronsally oversees the defense of Thaanides, but no enemy comes.
Defends Cocarro, but no enemy comes
Defends Narvis 9C, but no enemy comes.

Maxine and Kashyyk
Maxine Attacks Izovis with 1 ship and is defeated (6 Vs 14)
Kashyyk Attacks Izovis with 1 ship and is defeated (6 Vs 11)
Stralink retains control of Izovis.

Empire of Tea and zemaj
Empire of tea attacks Chobrourus with 2 ships: 2 + +2 + 9 Vs 1 + 8 = 13 > 9
zemaj's forces walk into undefended Chobrourus
Empire of tea's forces push zemaj's forces out of Chobrourus.
Chobrourus is conqered and pillaged for 1.

Moves Needed: Jerick, Kashyyk, Maxine, notquitethere, TricMagic, Quarque, zemaj

Spoiler: Resource & Drone Count (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Admirals of Space (click to show/hide)

Feel free to mention any mistakes.

Stalling time is 17:04:24 on 2023/05/03 GMT
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:40:20 pm by a1s »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7