Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread  (Read 13632 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of China discussion thread
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2023, 03:08:54 pm »

Well that's probably because of the same reason you don't mention any Swedish memes
At least we can thank Sweden for Ikea, lutefisk, Pewdiepie and eurovision memes
Chefs. You missed Chefs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2023, 04:42:36 am »

Well that's probably because of the same reason you don't mention any Swedish memes
At least we can thank Sweden for Ikea, lutefisk, Pewdiepie and eurovision memes
Chefs. You missed Chefs.
I never did see the muppets

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2023, 08:41:05 am »

Spotlight shining upon Hangzhou , it was going to host the Asia Games these days ! In one word , I felt thrilled and  proud for I had this strong motherland , in another word , I felt a little distant , for I had to solve some stuff , preparing to change my undergrand major or get a master degree .
In China rumors also spread that Prefabricated dishes is about to go into the schools , from this piece of news you can know how devil the mechants are , they want to earn bad money from ,I do not know how corruptible our government are , but we are concerned .
In America or some other foreign nations  , do students eat prefabricated food ?
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2023, 12:04:06 pm »

In my secondary school in California we had a combination of prefabricated (packaged) food and fresh-made food.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 06:16:04 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2023, 12:37:18 pm »

In my secondary school in California we had a combonation of prefabricated (packaged) food and fresh-made food.
In my primary school the food was freshly made, but was all so terribly cooked no one wanted to eat it anyways. In secondary school there was a large mixture of prefabricated food, well-cooked fresh food and the cadets got given their own food too (still have a sticker I took from one of the food labels warning "this food may contain genetically modified organisms"). But past the age of 15 most of the people in my school ate at one of the nearby markets (there were guys who would make venison burgers from deer they shot, for cheaper than a cafe sandwich), or at a baguette place or fish and chips place (there were absolute legends who gave any schoolkids giant troughs of chips for £2)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2023, 06:25:44 pm »

I don't know how to fully explain the situation to zjh, being barred from anywhere I might wish to link to, but (as LW will surely recall), there was that fuss a number of years ago when schoolkids were served healthy school meals (courtesy of Jamie Oliver) and the patents retaliated, or perhaps gave into their spoilt brats' demands, by actually shoving fast food items through the fence for them.

(I didn't have many school meals, at that time I was within walking distance of my childhood home (about a mile) and usually had a homecooked dinner of some possibly unusually healthy variety. Occasionally parental schedules led to having to 'suffer' the results of the dinner-ladies, which was probably not that bad apart from being mass-cooked, mass-served, probably over-prepared... like a scoop of mashed-potato, as a textureless portion, being one of the three veg. At college, I think the canteen was more open to providing 'fast food' options. At uni, it was mostly what I cooked myself (probably far too much pasta), or the local chippie or occasionally a particular italian place in Town... the latter options being at least freshly prepared, but maybe with far more fat to them...)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2023, 05:59:20 am »

I don't know how to fully explain the situation to zjh, being barred from anywhere I might wish to link to, but (as LW will surely recall), there was that fuss a number of years ago when schoolkids were served healthy school meals (courtesy of Jamie Oliver) and the patents retaliated, or perhaps gave into their spoilt brats' demands, by actually shoving fast food items through the fence for them.
I think the mirror might be unblocked but unsurprisingly the kids who succumbed to the gluttonous feeding of their parents are now overweight and back then it wasn't much better with 14% of students binning their fruit. I remember in primary school though all the kids loved the hell out of the fruit because it was rationed like wartime

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2023, 06:46:38 am »

Well, I disliked the old school milk 'ration' (probably the crate was left on or near a radiator, for however long it was until we were given it), and the eventual 'snatch' back of it was one of the few Thatcherite policies I had absolutely no problem with . ;)

(I still had, and have, milk on my cereal[1], and I might go for a properly prepared milkshake (or meal-replacement drink, when I'm feeling both flush and in the need of something healthy) plus I definitely need milk in my coffee; but to this day I'll avoid just a drink of milk.)

I can't ever remember fruit, in my pre-secondary time (and fairly sure never after). Outside of rhubarb/apple/rhubarb-and-apple crumble, and the like, on the few occasions I didn't go home at midday and had to have school-dinners.

[1] We'd never been a cooked breakfast family. When (in 'bigger school') I was learning French I think I found out that I was the only one who had to (try to) say something like "cornflakes and toast" instead of "eggs, beans, sausage", etc, during that part of the conversational learning...

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2023, 07:38:07 am »

It's the mid-autumn Festival ! My dear bay watchers , hoping that you can have a good time with your family and let the elegent moon witness your family's togetherness and happiness , however due to the massive tourists , some of my classmates fail to get together with their family , that really makes me  upset .
Hoping that you can enjoy the mooncakes , it's really tasty and sweet , which stands for the sweetness with your family !
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2023, 07:08:45 am »

Congratulations , happy birthday to the people’s republic of china !
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 07:11:46 am by zhijinghaofromchina »
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: China discussion thread
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2023, 08:25:59 pm »

Since discussion has shifted from Republic of China to People's Republic of China, I have changed the tread title.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2023, 04:28:28 am »

Since discussion has shifted from Republic of China to People's Republic of China, I have changed the tread title.
Just like the United Nations lol

Congratulations , happy birthday to the people’s republic of china !
Happy national anniversary to you

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2023, 01:19:44 am »

Dear Bay watchers , sorry for my late reply , after a 7-hour-long jouney from my home to my school , yesterday night I was tired out that I even had a nap just after my breakfast . After the Holiday of our national anniversary , a joke spreads that --do you feel that the 8-day holiday is short , we will make you feel that the next 7 days is longer , it is lucky that today I did not need to have any lessons , just have a relax and adjust my biological clock .
My father has went to Vietnam for his business , hoping that he can be safe and sound there !

Now I am at a study room , dealing with a disgusting education about the safe in chemistry labs , it seems useless .

问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2023, 07:11:51 am »

For those who don't know, China has 'make up' days after most holidays, meaning you work on the weekends before or after (or sometimes both) a holiday. After national holiday is a week straight of work.

ZJH, you probably don't know but this is completely insane and basically no other country does it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2023, 07:36:39 am »

When I worked in China I was shocked that national holidays either got taken out of your already slim annual leave or led to a constant work week. It's just utter insanity, you have no productivity if you're exhausted
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12