Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread  (Read 13631 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of China discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2023, 02:04:09 pm »

By the way I am interesting in your quote , it may means you are shining upon and filling fish in your hovercraft.
There's a famous English comedy skit where a man, misled by a bad translation, says the nonsensical phrase "my hovercraft is full of eels". I imagine this is what Starver was referencing.

Specifically Monty Python's sketch "Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook", in case you want to look it up.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2023, 03:50:28 pm »

Yes, forgive me a bit of English humour (originally about Hungarian!) that might not have travelled sufficiently into your part of the world.

I just checked this page and guessed which version to try without even trying to be intelligent about it. Probably chose the version that was wrong for you, then, as I imagine the people who compiled that list didn't leave anything too incorrect. ;)

Anyway, that aside, you understand me well enough and can make yourself understood. Which is far more than it would be if roles were reversed and I were somehow trying to talk with you on an online forum that wasn't English.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2023, 08:24:44 am »

Yeah some websites such as the Wikipedia were forbidden here, but that was never mind ,but this link is easy for me to open dear friends, while losing some freedom ,I am getting used to it.
Nowadays as I am on a trip to the provice of Gan Su ,Qing Hai and Shan Xi I am amazed by the beautiful scenes , both natural and humanity.
However, what makes me upset is that the mild rain makes the scenes in Qing Hai a little less spectacular, while in Xi An ,we entered the city of the Tang Dynasty , what I saw was just millions of people from all directions of the country , needless to say ,it is quite prosperous , but our tourist experience is so upsetting, while standing on the other site , the prosperity of Xi An is just an epitome of my coutry' s security and great wealth , I'd love to ask that whether you can see so many tourists in Kiev, in Iraq or in somewhere the wars were broken out ?
Maybe my country was not so democrate as the western country , but I still feel proud for my motherland for its peace in life , scenes, cuisines and security, just as what the people in other countries do .
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2023, 08:50:00 am »

What's nonsensical about "My hovercraft is full of eels"?  That seems like a very plausible scenario, given the operating environments of hovercraft and habitats of eels.   ;D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2023, 11:00:45 pm »

Yeah some websites such as the Wikipedia were forbidden here, but that was never mind ,but this link is easy for me to open dear friends, while losing some freedom ,I am getting used to it.
Nowadays as I am on a trip to the provice of Gan Su ,Qing Hai and Shan Xi I am amazed by the beautiful scenes , both natural and humanity.
However, what makes me upset is that the mild rain makes the scenes in Qing Hai a little less spectacular, while in Xi An ,we entered the city of the Tang Dynasty , what I saw was just millions of people from all directions of the country , needless to say ,it is quite prosperous , but our tourist experience is so upsetting, while standing on the other site , the prosperity of Xi An is just an epitome of my coutry' s security and great wealth , I'd love to ask that whether you can see so many tourists in Kiev, in Iraq or in somewhere the wars were broken out ?
Maybe my country was not so democrate as the western country , but I still feel proud for my motherland for its peace in life , scenes, cuisines and security, just as what the people in other countries do .

China's the Great Granddaddy
Sadly Living Separate from his Lovely Wife
She claims Half his Stuff

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2023, 06:00:09 am »

My dad visited China twice for business for his employer at the time and my sister was a student ambassador in high school and went on a trip. I'm the only one who hasn't visited yet, maybe someday but that will hopefully only rely on my eventually getting my finances in order!
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2023, 07:13:40 am »

However, what makes me upset is that the mild rain makes the scenes in Qing Hai a little less spectacular, while in Xi An ,we entered the city of the Tang Dynasty , what I saw was just millions of people from all directions of the country , needless to say ,it is quite prosperous , but our tourist experience is so upsetting, while standing on the other site , the prosperity of Xi An is just an epitome of my coutry' s security and great wealth

This is really the downside of almost every major site in China - they're so full of people, it's hard to focus and enjoy being there. On top of that, because there are so many people, the sites themselves are often changed a lot to accommodate the people. The Great Wall, especially the most frequented parts is a very disappointing sight...All concrete.

I still feel proud for my motherland for its peace in life , scenes, cuisines and security, just as what the people in other countries do .

This is really the reason I still live here. All issues aside, it's a comfortable country to live in, and is safe as hell these days.

My dad visited China twice for business for his employer at the time and my sister was a student ambassador in high school and went on a trip. I'm the only one who hasn't visited yet, maybe someday but that will hopefully only rely on my eventually getting my finances in order!

Let me know if you decide to come down, I'll be happy to make recommendations. It's dirt-cheap once you actually get over here, especially if you're in my neck of the woods and not during the major Chinese holidays.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2023, 09:59:52 pm »

Our country’s foreign minister has been dismissed for a long time, rumors spread that Qin Gang has a paramour who is a secret agent, these days our country caught many secret agents, is there any foreign bay 12 friends could tell me about this piece of news ?
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2023, 02:12:55 am »

Does anyone have any reliable source regarding Chinese nuclear submarine that reportedly sank\had a major accident in Taiwan straight? I see mentions here and there but nothing from sources I'd consider reliable
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2023, 04:23:40 am »

Foreign Minister: It has been noted for a while that he has fallen out of sight (example story for the benefit of others, which last month summarised his mysterious removal and vanishing), but I can't find anything reliably definite since then. Sorry. Your own rumours could be as accurate as anything out here in the rest of the world, and not just what's left when the 'real story' is suppresed internally, but there's not much known out here anyway (at least publicly).

Submarine: Nothing had crossed my radar(/sonar!), and even searching for news on it gave nothing overly useful. Certainly a lack of anything worthy of headlines. (Yet!)

I feel a bit silly being a spokesperson for the "nothingburger" that both these currently are, especially as Breaking News could prove me wrong even a minute or two after saying so. But, as a two-for-one reason to poke around the more useful news sites, I at least updated myself on various other news from the region... ;)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2023, 08:54:16 am »

Many weeks ago when I watch the Ukrainian series Servant of the people, I was surprised by a scene about the Chinese government killing the corrupt officials cruelly and massively, about 200 a time, I should say that it is not the truth, although our country likes killing corrupt officials, bout not so many people , many of them get into the prison, not the death penalty.

By the way , the headlines nowadays is solving the corrupt problems in medical systems , which might be very interesting to the foreign friends.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2023, 11:33:09 am »

I haven't even seen Servant Of The People (though had heard of it, even when it was perhaps the most important thing Volodimir had yet accomplished), but don't forget that it was a comic/satirical take on the situation. I'm also not sure how seriously and literal anyone would have been expected to take the series's 'facts'.

Something like The West Wing (an entertainment/drama depicting the situations that a fictional President of the US, and his administration has to navigate) occasionally talked of things that (named) middle-eastern countries, etc, were doing, consistent with contemporary international politics (it started showing prior to 9/11, but went well into the era of Afghanistan and the subsequent Iraqi 'intervention', in the Real World™ ), just for verisimilitude in portraying a 'realistic' drama in the parallel universe where this other man was President. Other times, fictional depictions might use a "Fictionlandia", "Imaginedivia" or "Madeupistan" placeholder.

I suppose sometimes there's a deliberate and pointed direct allusion to how another country is actually perceived to do actual things, rather than just extending the fictional events further than the 'home territory' of the production. I imagine every country has its own standard levels of casual mischief (even up to full blown propoganda) in alluding to what happens in other countries, as well as itself. Up-playing and down-playing both positive and negative qualities as it seems necessary. Whether or not justified, I imagine memos (at the very least) are occasionally passed between the respective governments making representations about how well these things are 'appreciated' by the nation concerned. ;)

And perhaps there could be the 'safer' option of just referencing an even more 'out there' real state, such as North Korea. Which maybe you'll be aware of as having... 'extreme' forms of justice, but I don't know how well the same news that percolates out to our kinds of country (not exactly on the "friends" list of the North Korea) manages to spread in your own nation (which maintains a greater degree of cross-border support/'friend-zoning'). But, honestly, there's little reason to hold back on creating fictional problems, there, as they're already unhappy with us and seem to have plenty of real problems already (which, if referencing in a comedic light, might even be considered too cruel and serious - leave all that to actual news and/or diplomatic announcements).

What exactly is currently China's medical corruption, and how it handles it, might or might not be useful over here (i.e. the UK). Or anywhere else, as I know you were concerned about the US in a prior post. Right now, we in the UK have got the fallout from a rather infamous nurse-gone-rogue (i.e. how we did not stop her sooner), and the separate but still lingering key issues of disagreement between medical professionals and the government. It'd be hard to apply the phrase "corruption" to either. Perhaps mismanagement(/ineptness) and over-management. Possibly, to some perspectives, under-management. Characterising the US situation is a different issue, yet again, naturally.

To paraphrase Tolstoy[1], perhaps "All functional systems are alike; each disfunctional system is disfunctional in its own way."

[1] The original, if this link works for you is here[/here]. Even if not, the URL itself should be readable enough to reconstruct the whole thing!  8)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2023, 07:28:39 am »

Since it is the forum about China , why there is nobody mention the famous meme "CHICK YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL ",it is a famous meme that nearly every youngling here are all know it , it came from a Singer who called caixunkun , he sings the song "ONLY BECAUSE YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL '', in Chinese the pronouncement of'' chick ''is similar to the'' only beacause'' .

This meme speads all across china if you search about the following few Chinese characters "鸡你太美"or the English word "ikun ",you will get a lot of fun!!

问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2023, 07:51:36 am »

Well that's probably because of the same reason you don't mention any Swedish memes
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2023, 08:27:18 am »

Well that's probably because of the same reason you don't mention any Swedish memes
At least we can thank Sweden for Ikea, lutefisk, Pewdiepie and eurovision memes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12