Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread  (Read 13625 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Republic of China discussion thread
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2023, 02:00:21 pm »

BBC is pretty legit in their criticisms of the United States, for what it's worth. They're only really untrustworthy regarding their own country, the United Kingdom/England.
Not that this is the place for it, but what kind of things did you have in mind for the latter?

(Could you keep it brief, if replying here? If you want to do a long point-by-point a la Ameripol, then find/make a better thread and perhaps let me know. A serious question, which I nearly sent via PM, but don't want to over-involve others who are here for China stuff (and related), and nothing more British than HK issues...)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2023, 03:52:07 pm »

BBC is pretty legit in their criticisms of the United States, for what it's worth. They're only really untrustworthy regarding their own country, the United Kingdom/England.
Not that this is the place for it, but what kind of things did you have in mind for the latter?

(Could you keep it brief, if replying here? If you want to do a long point-by-point a la Ameripol, then find/make a better thread and perhaps let me know. A serious question, which I nearly sent via PM, but don't want to over-involve others who are here for China stuff (and related), and nothing more British than HK issues...)
The BBC is funded by the British Government, hence I am not 100% convinced they will be 100% accurate on criticizing their own government.
Link to their Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

More than that, and you'll have to ask a Brit, and you might want to check out the UK thread.

Also: They're banned in PROC because of reporting on Uyghers.
So you'll need alternative sourcing on that.  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2023, 05:24:09 pm »

The BBC is funded by the British Government, hence I am not 100% convinced they will be 100% accurate on criticizing their own government.
Link to their Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

More than that, and you'll have to ask a Brit, and you might want to check out the UK thread.
I'll ask a Brit then... <looks in mirror> ...um, so I'm gonna take this bit to PMs after all.

Also: They're banned in ROC because of reporting on Uyghers.
So you'll need alternative sourcing on that.  :P
This is pretty much a problem I mentioned that our enquiring friend would be suffering from. Any actual valid source of information that he should be able to trust is probably going to fall foul of the state machinery that accompanies the very problems concerned.

(Addendum, as I try to post this again... Mysterious connection problems trying to reply here, not affecting anything else. Apols if this posts twice (or more) now. Enough to make one paranoid, though. ;) )

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2023, 07:15:04 pm »

There are other news sources, although I mostly get American and British ones on the US internet, so I dunno what would work in PROC.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2023, 02:07:04 pm »

Greetings from china ,dear Loud Whispers .Unluckily , your links are unable to be opened here in Chinese internet ,so it is impossible for me to check whether your evidence provided are true or false . Could you quote some content from your links, just in short, please.
But it should be pointed out that our government has lots of shortcomings, our country has the class solidification than any time before and the declines in national population but it is still shock for to understand why you are so confirmed that the PRC government killed the Uighers.
To be frankly, I don’t trust what our government said, at the same time, the so-called facts that you heard from the medias such as BBC VOA should be verified in detail .
I live in the Jiangsu province of China, my dad went to where the Uigher lived, he was amazed by the spectacular scenes and delicious dishes that were made from lamb. If he caught sight of the slaughter he would told me. However I didn’t hear any word from him.
Maybe my words should be a little incredible for you.
If offended I apologize for your understanding and I am willing to get any punishment from the Bay 12 forum.

To be separate from this topic, if you are curious enough to read any blocked content, you can use a VPN, though it costs a little bit of money (about 8 USD/57 yuan a month). These are not illegal in your country for personal use. One example is here, which is popular in your country, but many others work. I hear it may be difficult to install it in your country but if you ever go abroad you can install it there and continue to use it at home. Just an option.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2023, 05:06:40 pm »

Greetings from china ,dear Loud Whispers .Unluckily , your links are unable to be opened here in Chinese internet ,so it is impossible for me to check whether your evidence provided are true or false . Could you quote some content from your links, just in short, please.
But it should be pointed out that our government has lots of shortcomings, our country has the class solidification than any time before and the declines in national population but it is still shock for to understand why you are so confirmed that the PRC government killed the Uighers.
To be frankly, I don’t trust what our government said, at the same time, the so-called facts that you heard from the medias such as BBC VOA should be verified in detail .
I live in the Jiangsu province of China, my dad went to where the Uigher lived, he was amazed by the spectacular scenes and delicious dishes that were made from lamb. If he caught sight of the slaughter he would told me. However I didn’t hear any word from him.
Maybe my words should be a little incredible for you.
If offended I apologize for your understanding and I am willing to get any punishment from the Bay 12 forum.
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to share your side of Chinese geopolitics with us. We won't judge. It is nice to see someone from China here that takes the trouble and effort to openly communicate and debate the topic. We won't judge you just because you are from China.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2023, 06:09:27 am »

Dear friends from all over the world, I would love to hear that you can read to my posts tearfully and carefully.
I am not very interested in what our government did to the Uighers ,what I care about is what our government’s policies to the pre-college students such as me. Students such as us will facing the difficulties of finding a job several years later ,maybe I will be exploited by the rich .Maybe you will ask how many welfare benefits the government will provide for us who did not get a job , haha , that might be a joke.China is the lowest-welfare country. If I chose the wrong university majors ,the burden on my family would become heavier.
Concerning what I know, It makes me think of another problem about the coronavirus.Firstly when the pandemic broke out everyone of us here were feeling well about what our government did,in the report our country’s media provided ,western countries were the most chilling hells, they said that people in other countries were dying in unbelievable speed. To be honest , China’s abilities in fighting the virus should not be under estimated.
Time passes and the toxicity of the virus became weaker ,our attitudes towards our country gradually changed from gratitude to a little bit dissatisfaction .When the broke-down policies were lifted ,what our government did when fighting the pandemic was described as a great accomplishment and was included in the most amazing accomplishments of China in the passing history. This event was written in our history book just in short world ,its topic head cooled down.
My father once told me a very interesting simile—“China is a great tiger that has a great strength , it will
get wealth from us it will protect us in peace , it is a tiger both to us and to the enemies.”

问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2023, 08:51:53 am »

There are other news sources, although I mostly get American and British ones on the US internet, so I dunno what would work in PROC.

It's very hit and miss. Censorship is mostly a proactive game (seeking out and blocking sites by domain), which means the more fringe and smaller your footprint, the more likely you are to avoid being blocked in China. It also means the non-censored western stuff that comes through is more likely to be poorly funded, poorly fact checked, or just blatantly conspiratorial.

Some of the censorship comes from the other side, because of botnets mostly being from Chinese servers (hey they're cheap!) many webhosts just block all Chinese traffic. Cloudflare sites are inaccessible, even if they're not blocked by the GFW.

On the topic of VPNs, feel free to PM me and I can help you out.

There's plenty of positives to any country, and there's a reason I still live here - the standard of living in China is consistently going up. Try not to take anything in these threads too personally. The politics threads are almost all criticisms of current events (the Ameripol thread is just us arguing, and the Europol thread is all about the slow collapse of social programs in Europe). You can point out mis-informed ideas, and give your point of view, and you'll find the community here is pretty welcoming, but also try to present articles to back up their points. It'd be good to see research and news articles from Chinese sources on many of these topics.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2023, 01:49:00 pm »

1.2 Million Chinese have been evacuated from the Hebei province, after the heaviest rainfall ever since scientific data collection started in 1883 has caused massive floods.
In 5 days time, 744mm of rain fell from the sky, which is more than the previous record from an entire year dating back to 1891.
It's also one and a half times more rain in 5 days time than fell in the entire year of 2022.

Water pipes have been destroyed by the flood, as have roads. Many places suffer from power outages. 20 people have been killed by the floods.

Most evacuees have been evacuated from places that have been designated by the government as likely routes for the water to drain. It is expected that it could take a month for the water to drain.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2023, 07:48:38 pm »

It’s good to see that many foreign people could care what happened in China here . In what our media said that the rain in Zhu zhou ,which is in Beijing ,was the most heavy rain since once the rain was recorded in 150 years.
It was really horrible ! More importantly, my family was planning to go to Beijing for a trip in August for I was admitted into Shan dong university ,which was a 985 University school in China.
Now we were going to northwestern China (maybe Xing jiang )for a trip which is very dry.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2023, 08:29:29 am »

Just out of curiosity Zhijinghao, are you using translation software for your posts, or can you read and write english yourself?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2023, 09:16:18 am »

Dear martinuzz , I am writing English on my own , I would only referring to the internet when I met some troubling nouns such as black lives better.
When I translate my posts into Chinese I could see that there are lots of grammar mistakes! :-\
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2023, 09:37:40 am »

Your English is better than my Chinese!

我隻氣墊船裝滿晒鱔

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2023, 10:41:04 am »

In my opinion , using English to write my posts is a great honor for me ,which show my respect to the foreign friends online here on the forum.
English is a crucial skill for the students here in China , so in this way I can practise my English and get to know the world outside China without the use of VPN , for I was not allowed to get economical independence . what I need to do is to learn more hard .
In fact , my family is against me to play any games such as Dwarf Fortress , they restrict me .
Dear Starver , my English may not be so good and I am welcoming everyone on the Bay 12 games forum to correct me , it's nomal to see me writing some Chinglish!
By the way I am interesting in your quote , it may means you are shining upon and filling fish in your hovercraft.
My quote was adimitted from a great poem , who lives in the tang dinasty,  the meaning of this quote is similar to what Scarett said in the novel Gone whit the wind"Anyway , tomorrow is another day".
If I translate my quote in English ,it must be "whether there were pains and upsets here in the world where I was ,let me mess my hair and enjoy the fondness and freedom of speeding my leaf of boat tomorrow!"
Maybe my translation rhymes not so well please forgive me!

问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2023, 01:47:54 pm »

By the way I am interesting in your quote , it may means you are shining upon and filling fish in your hovercraft.
There's a famous English comedy skit where a man, misled by a bad translation, says the nonsensical phrase "my hovercraft is full of eels". I imagine this is what Starver was referencing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12