Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47309 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 2: Bloodbath [10 / 15]
« Reply #1035 on: April 23, 2023, 09:21:01 pm »

Goofy interactions with Cat, more serious response with Hector. Lenglon was also acting really goofy with FoU so I think this makes Cat look better and Hector worse.
Does it? Fallacy was on Lenglon's team in an important sense.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 23, 2023, 09:25:08 pm »

Goofy interactions with Cat, more serious response with Hector. Lenglon was also acting really goofy with FoU so I think this makes Cat look better and Hector worse.
Does it? Fallacy was on Lenglon's team in an important sense.
Fair point.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 23, 2023, 09:46:17 pm »

They actually started acting goofy a bit before that happened.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 23, 2023, 09:47:16 pm »

I'm still standing by my result and consider Toony outed mafia.
Brain Power: High
If I simply don't think too hard about things, I can't be outsmarted by overthinking AND I have more time to play videogames and update forum games and sleep.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 23, 2023, 10:00:24 pm »

snip

I definitely agree with Knightwing not being Lenglon's partner here, Lenglon would definitely keep him under a tighter leash.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 23, 2023, 10:15:18 pm »

They actually started acting goofy a bit before that happened.
When did FoU and Lenglon begin communicating? Would you be able to point to a specific post in this thread?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 23, 2023, 10:16:51 pm »

Eurgh why do you guys leave it so late to post? It’s almost like you have lives and loves outside of mafia or something.

T’be fair I was waiting for Toony to post as I suspected he would have me as his top scumread.

I’ve been thinking, mostly about me. Narcissus personified eh? Anyway, If Toony’s team were about to be eliminated it wouldn’t matter how many votes I had, they’re not going to win. Consequently, I don’t think Lenglon and Toony were partners, because Toony is interested in taking me out of the game.

Further to that point, the scum team that opposes Toony wants him taken out during the day, so they can save their mafiakills for the town without having to put effort into manipulating the town to murder each other.

I propose a ballsy move, that we keep Toony alive today so he has to get killed in the night by the opposing team. That way we actually spend the day not being wholly distracted by inspect results, and finding the scum still left during the day, while they murder each other by night.

Toony’s also a clever sausage, and he knows he has to find the other team, so, me aside in that, maybe his analysis actually has some truth to it?

Something to consider anyway, there’s not much other discussion going on, presumably because of inspect results and it’s the weekend.

Max what was up with you at day end D1? You don’t get worked up, and you don’t bottle out of silly games like Chicken. What were you doing?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 23, 2023, 10:30:03 pm »

T’be fair I was waiting for Toony to post as I suspected he would have me as his top scumread.
What gave you that impression.

I propose a ballsy move, that we keep Toony alive today so he has to get killed in the night by the opposing team. That way we actually spend the day not being wholly distracted by inspect results, and finding the scum still left during the day, while they murder each other by night.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 23, 2023, 10:45:38 pm »

What gave you that impression.

Mostly the “oh there’s not enough time to lay out my case” nonsense at the end of D1. I suspect you were just chancing your arm on starting a wagon on someone else, and also allowing you a starting point for D2 if it didn’t end in an elimination.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did say it was ballsy, not necessarily clever. Frankly, even if both teams chicken out of finding the other team in the night, I represent an even greater threat than the Mason’s with how many votes I have. I’m cool with that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 23, 2023, 10:51:06 pm »

Max what was up with you at day end D1? You don’t get worked up, and you don’t bottle out of silly games like Chicken. What were you doing?
I didn't get worked up until you did this:
I'll let you know if you still have that vote on him in 42 minutes.
So to be clear, you are challenging me to a game of chicken?

I never lose those.
A dumb EuchreJack making proclamations that make no sense because he's paranoid is a town EuchreJack.

Yet you're still voting for him...

If not Jack, then who?
It's D1 my reads on everyone don't have to be perfect, so if you're more interested in a game of chicken than eliminating scum, I'll re-evaluate you N1 and D2. [...] It's better than leaving your vote on someone you think is town.
Aye exactly, coward.

In other words, you challenged me to hold my vote on him, which you yourself acknowledge you already knew I would definitely go along with; then you tried to use my agreement to paint me as scum for holding my vote on him while telling everyone else I thought he was town (which I would have had no reason to do as scum!); then you called me a coward as emotional manipulation after I decided that letting such a shady player as you talk me into keeping my vote on an obvious townie wasn't worth it. (And now you use my not voting for someone I was sure was town to cast aspersions on my behavior.)
Even then, you can see from my other, non-you-related intervening posts that I wasn't all that worked up, like this one:
Who's gonna take the blame?
Who's avoiding the blame?
Okay, there's still half an hour, settle the god damn down. Vote for hector, maybe.
I wasn't so worked up that I couldn't calmly abuse Jack for his panicking just like in d1 of the recent Paranormal. But you're right, it really did bother me, a little, to have to choose between petty pride in not backing down, and my strong townread of Jack. It bothered me even more to actually finally give up on the petty pride. I love petty pride. I hate having my love for petty pride exploited like that.

Man, looking back on that, especially knowing Egan and Fallacy were doing it because they were in bed with Lenglon, really reminds me how scummy I thought you were that day. It really did look like just a collaboration of the four of you all willfully ignoring the obvious towniness of first Tric, then Jack. And now look, Tric and Jack were town all along.

So I'm just going to go for it. hector13.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 23, 2023, 11:41:01 pm »

Jesus H, Max, I have rarely seen you make a post with so much wrong in it.

In reverse order:

Jack’s first post of the game was basically “I’m not going to play this game”, which is entirely pointless, and frankly ticked me off. I tried to get him to play the game, even asked him who I should vote for at one point, all for naught. The one thing that really stood out for me was he acknowledged that he shouldn’t rely on his playing shite to be townread. If a player is aware of their meta to that degree, does that meta cease to work as a means to read them? Abso-bloody-lutely.

I never once said Tric was scum on D1. I had him in my scum reads at one point (and even said he probably shouldn’t be in them at the time!) solely because you were brown-nosing Jim the entire day, and I had huge issue with Jim’s reliance on meta to read Tric, then getting upset with FoU for disagreeing with that meta read, then meta-reading FoU as scum to justify it.

Your petty pride is not and was not my problem. See above on my thoughts regarding EJ’s panicking meta, which we discussed at the time.

As above again, your petty pride is not my problem. I did not challenge you to a game of chicken, those were your words, not mine, and I never acknowledged that game once. What I acknowledged was your strong read on EJ being completely at odds with whatever nonsense you were pulling at the time: as you have made abundantly clear, that game of chicken was between you and your pride, it had nothing to do with me. I said the 42 minute thing because, as we both know and as actually happened, things could very easily change over the course of that time. Consequently, whatever game of chicken you were playing I wasn’t even expecting to matter before that 42 minutes was up.

Further to that, we now know thanks to Lenglon via KW and FoU/Egan, that the scum teams are probably aware that there’s another scum team they need to deal with, so scum!you may in a more traditional game have had no reason to move your vote from a strong townread, but it doesn’t really move you toward your ultimate goal of winning the game in this one. You’d need to hit scum just as much as town do to win this one bud.

I will acknowledge that calling you a coward was emotional,  but that was because I was pissed off that somehow I was getting pushed toward being eliminated, and was expecting you with your balls of steel to not falter in your own personal game of chicken.

I wasn’t casting aspersions because I was genuinely curious what was up there… but now I’m not so sure.

TL;dr

EJ is aware of their meta, so meta reads don’t work on them now.

I said Tric was scum maybe all of one time D1, as an associative read of Max and Jim who I felt were scum.

Max challenged himself to a game of chicken with himself and lost.

Max claiming scum!Max wouldn’t be bothered about eliminating a strong townread doesn’t work in a game with two scum teams because he would need to eliminate the opposing team as much as town.

Huh, maybe I can do brevity after all…

So yeah, I’ll get pissed off for no reason to and suggest maybe another idea to explore is Max and Jim fakeclaiming as scum. They’ve already found the other team, might as well get their biggest town problem out of the way by taking out the biggest voting bloc.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 24, 2023, 12:00:29 am »

In fact IN FACT! Why don’t we actually do it?

*taps his temple* I’m a fucking genius.

We flip one of Max and Jim today. If they’re scum the game is over, ggs.

If they’re town, we have 2 confirmed town in Egan and the survivng Max/Jim that the scum can’t go after because of the sort of Prisoner’s Dilemma they both face in that they don’t know if the other team is going to work with them to get rid of the town so they have to go after each other first.

NQT has been inspected as town, though admittedly by probably scum, but we still also have the 2 investigative roles for N2 as well, so we could have as many as 5 confirmed town players tomorrow if Max or Jim flip town, so even if nobody dies that’s half the goddamn town cleared, and even better than that if someone does!

I realize it’s also midnight and I am very tired, but this is workable.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 24, 2023, 12:02:16 am »

You and I both know that I would take the "42 minutes" comment as a challenge, and you practically admit you knew that when you said it. I don't know how you expect to pretend that it was all me.

As for the claim that I would want to defend town Jack to get an "enemy scum" player out... I don't even agree in principle. I think my instinct would be to get town down to at least half before trying to take out an enemy scumteam, because otherwise town will easily pick apart the corpses. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend, for now."
Of course, now knowing that at least half the players have admitted they'd go for the competition first means I'll have to rethink that if it comes up in the future, but whatever.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 24, 2023, 12:08:09 am »

Nah bro your thought processes are a bit alien to me for whatever reason to the point I think you’re a machine, and think I might be somewhat autistic too so other people’s motivations are… tricky, but all that’s not important right now.

My idea is brilliant.

I also feel like I’m coming across a bit like FoU when he has his ideas, which is… probably a bad thing, but if this is how he feels when he has then I can understand why he is so goddamn stubborn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 24, 2023, 12:12:50 am »

Nah bro your thought processes are a bit alien to me for whatever reason to the point I think you’re a machine, and think I might be somewhat autistic too so other people’s motivations are… tricky, but all that’s not important right now.
I'm the opposite of a machine. I'm an enigma. Well, almost the opposite of a machine.

Your plan honestly sounds like a great way for town to throw the game even if you think I am scum, unless you specifically think ToonyMan is Lenglon's partner. I don't know how you could possibly believe that, but whatever, you did just make the argument that our thought habits are totally incompatible, so I guess that's okay. But I'm not going along with it. Not even if you promised to lynch Jim instead. Well, maybe then, but I'd feel bad.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92