Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47812 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2023, 04:14:28 pm »

A combination of my perception of their meta and the context of the arguments they are making.

I’m sure you’ll find some fault in that, but it’s literally what we’re all doing.

No, it’s not a gut feel check, if that’s what you were wondering.
How do you square this claim to have done thorough analysis with your earlier statement about driving a bus on fire into hell?
silly Max. You can be chaotic while still performing analysis.

It’s just that usually I fuck up somewhere along the way, resulting in the fire.

That and I prefer to take less safe strategies. Honestly I could probably have active lurked and subordinated to Day 3. Played like a mix of Egan, Jack, and Tric himself.

But that wouldn’t be as fun as watching the total shitstorm that happened when I started trying to pursue Tric.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2023, 04:19:51 pm »

@FoU:
I can find the inspection quote when I'm at a computer, unless you said it as a joke? Why are you even questioning me about this? I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong about that.
I am wrong.

It was this post:
Jim is voting me just because I don’t agree with him on Tric?

This is especially aggravating because he simultaneously implies I’m competent enough to easily figure out Tric’s alignment but too incompetent to hide my scum strategies when I’m mafia.

That’s not a reasonable stance to take. I’m doing my first investigation on Tric, to try and validate my read or prove it wrong, but Jim Groovester gets my vote for that garbage.
I thought you were implying you were going to vote Jim today since you have an inspect for Tric, but that clearly isn't what you meant now that I re-read it.

I can’t believe anyone is able to follow Tric’s arguments in the slightest.
Being able to actually follow Tric's arguments is a mafiatell of his.

I have no idea what he's saying either.

Under this measurement, Jim is less genuine and Fluffe and Toony are more genuine.
Then vote Jim for being disingenuous.

Why is Tric mafia because Jim has a dishonest opinion about Tric? It's POSSIBLE Tric is mafia if Jim is being dishonest. But if you truly believe Jim is faking his feelings and that assumption is correct then HE'S MAFIA. Jim is literally using the same logic to vote you by claiming your own motivations are fake. This feels like a clown show.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 19, 2023, 04:21:43 pm »

Ultimately, Lenglon and Fallacy, the thing is that I consider Fallacy's "Genuineness" reads to be a distraction, possibly intentional. I don't want clarification of them. I want Fallacy to stop managing town. If at any point in this he had acted like his townself, I would have reconsidered, but he just keeps doubling down on the "too clever for my own good" act.

Being able to actually follow Tric's arguments is a mafiatell of his.

I have no idea what he's saying either.
Is it bad that I understand it, then?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2023, 04:25:47 pm »

Here’s the definition of genuine I was using in that post. ‘Does this person appear to be arguing in good faith?’ Less genuine would be ‘this person appears to be arguing in bad faith, that is, they are arguing to protect TricMagic because they have ulterior motives for doing so.’
How do you determine this?
A combination of my perception of their meta and the context of the arguments they are making.

I’m sure you’ll find some fault in that, but it’s literally what we’re all doing.

No, it’s not a gut feel check, if that’s what you were wondering.
Thanks for answering what you meant by that word. (You type it enough times it stops sounding like a word, but eh.) The Meta is always changing though, isn't it? After all, you've already argued yours and mine can have shifted. Are you above applying that to others? (Compared to others applying it to you)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 19, 2023, 04:30:35 pm »

Whether you're town or mafia FoU you're being incredibly stubborn. Do you want the satisfaction of being right about Tric that badly? I am extremely confident Tric isn't mafia, like 99.9% sure. It's probably a 50/50 chance he's third-party but that doesn't matter. If you really believe I'm being genuine here then voting Tric is not helpful, at all.

By being a stubborn idiot you're allowing quieter players like Knightwing/Fluffe/Egan/Juicebox/etc to not get as much attention as this turns into the FoU/Tric battle of the century. It's also possible you're both town and this is a complete waste of effort and people's good will. I think if that's true then town players are more likely to waste effort to join this debate, because it's a lot of work for a pay off that doesn't exist (which we wouldn't know for sure). Meanwhile mafia get to chill and watch town be morons.

Is it bad that I understand it, then?
Well, you live in another dimension so...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2023, 04:32:04 pm »

Okay, if that’s the game you want to play, then fine.

If you really want to use the argument that I’m scum because I’m conforming to my mafia self, then.

A. Why is it too unlikely that I’ve personally grown since my last game?

B. Are there no other factors that could trigger a difference in behavior?

C. Is that really sufficient reason to attempt to execute me?

D. Please provide examples and quotes to use for comparison instead of appealing to your authority as an ‘expert in Fallacy’. Justify what you’re saying.

Funnily enough, your argument that I’m scum because I’m acting like scum me usually does is similar to Jim’s argument that Tric is town because he’s apparently within his town meta and needs no further explanation?

I don’t have an exact quote for that particular statement, I’m just going off my memory since I’m still posting from phone. Consider that and that alone uncertain until I dig up a quote.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2023, 04:33:00 pm »

(Above post is in response to Spin.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2023, 04:33:05 pm »

Enjoying the chaos?... FoU, isn't that similar to my stated reason for existence as mafia? As Mafia I'd be focusing on causing chaos as everything burns down around me, in this scenario at least. So why did you start it...

ninja'd

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 19, 2023, 04:35:30 pm »

Whether you're town or mafia FoU you're being incredibly stubborn. Do you want the satisfaction of being right about Tric that badly? I am extremely confident Tric isn't mafia, like 99.9% sure. It's probably a 50/50 chance he's third-party but that doesn't matter. If you really believe I'm being genuine here then voting Tric is not helpful, at all.

In order

Yes (see comment about flaming bus)

And I can believe you’re genuine (arguing in good faith) without believing you’re correct. Similar to Fluffe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 19, 2023, 04:37:43 pm »

Enjoying the chaos?... FoU, isn't that similar to my stated reason for existence as mafia? As Mafia I'd be focusing on causing chaos as everything burns down around me, in this scenario at least. So why did you start it...

ninja'd
I believe that you’re capable of restraining yourself.

If Jim hadn’t been so ridiculously active in your defense and support I never would have cottoned onto you. Thanks, Jim. You’re next.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 19, 2023, 04:44:13 pm »

If Jim hadn’t been so ridiculously active in your defense and support I never would have cottoned onto you. Thanks, Jim. You’re next.
How do you feel about Lenglon?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 19, 2023, 05:05:45 pm »

To double check, when does the day end?

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 19, 2023, 05:11:02 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
-> FallacyofUrist --3-- Jim Groovester*, Maximum Spin*, A_Curious_Cat*,
-> Toaster        --3-- EuchreJack*, EuchreJack*, ToonyMan*,
EuchreJack        --2-- notquitethere*, Fluffe9911*,
TricMagic         --2-- FallacyofUrist*, juicebox*,
Jim Groovester    --1-- Lenglon*,
Lenglon           --1-- TricMagic*,
notquitethere     --1-- hector13*,
A_Curious_Cat     --0--
Egan_BW           --0--
Fluffe9911        --0--
hector13          --0--
juicebox          --0--
Knightwing64      --0--
Maximum Spin      --0--
ToonyMan          --0--
No One            --0--

Not Voting        --3-- Egan_BW*, Knightwing64, Toaster*,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on April 20, 2023 at 18:00 Central Daylight Time (~24 hours remaining).

NOTE: In the event of a tie, the Mafia chooses the execution target.
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 19, 2023, 05:12:37 pm »

Thank you Mamobo.

Toony, still hold reason to vote Toaster?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 19, 2023, 05:42:13 pm »

*sits at a computer to type out a post, the first time this has been done in frickin' years*

Okay, I was going to read through things and kinda respond to things as I went along but the whole Tric/Fou/Jim/Max thing really bothers me and there are a lot of big posts I need to trim to make it easier to parse...

So here goes.

Toaster

Hector:
Why you answerin’ questions for other people eh? Totes scum. /s

I should be voting so I guess I’ll back up my stuff on NQT.

*10 hours later*

notquitethere

How serious is this vote?

Not very, but I'm sure that's why you asked. I had kinda checked out of the game at that point, but a weak vote is infinitely more useful than not voting at all. I basically voted NQT there to let folks know where my suspicions lay, and wasn't really expecting much from NQT because he's not silly enough to slip as scum on D1.

Responding to you because it's a little relevant to Jim's portion later; context brah.

MaxSpin

This is one of the first bits that raised my suspicions.

hector is similar, but I can reify it a little more because I was scum with hector not too long ago (Proc Gen... I want to say 4?), and he reminds me of his play then, in that he seems to be "managing town", so to speak. You know, trying to rhetorically cut off certain things and promote others, not too different from what I accused Fallacy of doing. In that game, we... this may not be the best thing to bring up at this immediate point in time... we goaded Fallacy into acting shady to set him up for the d1 lynch, and made NJW2000 the fall guy. This kind of managing is a strong suit of hector's, I think.

I will quite willingly walk into whatever you're setting for me here because I'm just that kind of person:

You bring up me doing this but don't provide examples of how I'm managing town, nor to what end I'm managing town toward.

I am within the scumpicks of you, Jim, Toony, NQT, FoU, EJ, probably Toaster. Basically all the people that matter and could actually build a case on me if they wanted. If I'm "managing the town" as you say, I am doing a spectacularly poor job of it.

Further, the... oddly cautious way of approaching it, relating to someone else's question rather than directed at me, reminds me an awful lot of FoU's D1 play in the Supernatural game we played recently, in which his D1 play relating to me was basically "hector is scawy" and he was scum.

You can argue that the main strategy for scum is not necessarily to be viewed as the most townie, but just now be viewed as the most scummy, but dude it's D1, once the other scumpicks are out of the way, I'm on the chopping block.

Jim

This was another thing raising my hackles.

notquitethere

Mmmmmm, I don't feel this. I'll stack it on top of all my other misgivings about you.

I should, but I won't, check what your case on notquitethere is and see if I feel there's merit to it.

You know one thing that really ticks me off about mafia games? Having to read through Tric's posts, don't make me do it, guy.

Another thing that bothers me though, is disingeuousnessnessness.

You've trimmed out context for that vote, and also ignored the post I made nearby that one (this quoted post is #347, the one I refer to is #342) in which I laid out some questions for NQT to answer, one of which was less than serious, and should thus alert people to how serious the vote was.

That post was also 10 posts after post #332, in which I said I was not feeling up to playing mafia for the day for myriad reasons, or am I also allowed to get all hot and bothered the next time you say you'd prefer to play Noita than mafia?

I think the only points of reference for TricMagic's non town game are Fallacy's BYOR whatever where he was a dragon (deez nutz), the one cult game I ran where he was the cult leader, and then notquitethere's Revolutions game. If he's been scum in other games I don't recall them.

Fallacy's BYOR is a wash since he was a third party SK and did literally nothing SK-like. In the cult game I think I recall him blending into the background and from what I remember of Revolutions TricMagic dialed down the boisterousness, exuberance, personality, etc., a lot for that game.

This game's TricMagic does not match Revolutions or the cult game I ran, but it does match literally every game TricMagic is town in and when he was a dragon or otherwise not on a team, which is what people have been saying.

I stopped closely reading midway through FallacyofUrist's and TricMagic's argument and I maintain I missed nothing of substance.

Anyways, let's lynch FallacyofUrist. I think I have honestly seen this pattern of doubling down on a bad argument in a past game where he was scum.

These two also bother me. I have significant issue with meta arguments being used to clear/indict someone in a game to the extent you are using them and that's all your read on Tric and FoU is.

You've pointed out two games in which Tric was not town and said you don't think Tric's play in this game is similar. In order to counter those arguments, people then have to read those games, not this one we're actually playing, and even if they do that your response could reasonably be "that's just, like, uh, your opinion man".

Tric's  alignment in those games have zero bearing on his alignment in this one, so there's zero point to bringing this up.

Further, a major problem with meta reads is that given a sufficintly long enough career on a forum, as FoU has here, you can find anything from any other game to back up your "read" on any alignment.

I've seen FoU double down on shitty arguments as third-party (MafiaKart, the game he outed himself as benign TP in his first post and said (DESPITE STRONG MISGIVINGS ON MY PART) that he would only sell his actions to town, when he then proceeded to sell his actions to the mafia team and SK) and I'm pretty damn sure I've seen it as town too.

FoU is a tenacious MF'er, once he has an idea in his head and thinks it's right, there is basically nothing that will change his mind, particularly when he is unsure of the motives behind people trying to change it. It's NAI.

This leads me very happily into this bullshit:

Anyways, let's lynch FallacyofUrist. I think I have honestly seen this pattern of doubling down on a bad argument in a past game where he was scum.

I think the game I'm being reminded of is Paranormal 27. I feel like there are a lot of similarities between that game and this game for how FallacyofUrist is playing.

Okay Jim is the hivemind leader and he converted Max, the psychic warden. Got it.
Wait, fuck, that actually makes sense.

Jim as Hivemind, uses the tech slot to get a Permanent Holoform Modulator. Uses that to show himself like a Kook would.

Converts Max, the psychic warden.

Gets Max's results, and uses the fact that I was roleblocked to fakeclaim a Snooper Bot.

Well, fuck.

I think scum FoU has a bad habit of doubling down on obviously stupid arguments.

Yes, but unrelated to his alignment.

However, this quote, much like when you trimmed away everything else in the post about my vote further up, is very devoid of context. That's the problem of quoting from games that other people played in, they might remember what was going on in them :o

It's D2, Vector has been outed as having attempted to kill ToonyMan by Tric's Loud Bodyguard or whatever the role is called (he died in place of the target but tells the target who the killer was) and the three suspects remaining for scum in that game were me, NQT, and FoU. The latter two were scum.

The game was basically mechanically solved at that point, and FoU knew it, so really his only option was to try to throw shade on the two power roles he knew about that could mess his team up: the tracker/watcher, which was you, and the Psychic Warden (a blocker) that he thought was Max. The fact he didn't  give up and actually tried something, however insane, was commendable. D1 lasted until page 31, that quote is from page 33, and the game was over two day phases and two night phases later basically by page 40.

An even worse point for you in that game was scum!FoU's D1 play, which was the polar opposite of what he's doing now, in that he basically did nothing except passive-aggressively throw shade my way until I got upset about it and spent the remainder of the day failing to convince the rest of the town I was right, and being scumspected as a consequence.

My horribly belaboured point is that of all the examples available on the forum, you chose one in which FoU basically had no choice but to make insane arguments, and one in which his D1 play shares absolutely nothing in common with his D1 play in this game.

Do I have to hammer home how ridiculous this is?

Max/Jim Again I'm leading into the next bit, Max's utterly ridiculous comment:

I believe you absolutely have, because I know I have.

Oh, I see you got an example, too. That was a great one.

You were in the game and know the context, wtf is this bullshit!?

I don't know if you and Jim are scum, but I'm pretty convinced that at least one of you is, I just don't know if it's the blatantly disingenuous one or the blatantly buddying one.

Maybe someone else should decide, seeing as I was hoping he'd do something in the time I was gone but was disappointed.

EJ

EuchreJack:
Toony: I was voting on my own to see how others responded, including voting Toaster as you & Jim seemed to suspect him. But you seem to have been doing well, and I love TMNT, so I guess I can sheep you for a bit.

"I was voting on my own by copying what you did"

At what point of the game are you going to stop sheeping?  I don't mean pretending to not sheep; I mean actually stop.
Day 2, ideally.
Otherwise Tric is gonna have to roll out the "Jack is a Sheep" meme again.

How's about ideally now? You think I'm scum but you're not voting for me, and I at least asked you to find someone else for me to vote at some point though I can't be bothered to look.

So how's about this: you got any thoughts on this Max/Jim connection? How's about the Tric/FoU thing?

I should type these out more often that was fun and easy and really convenient why do I keep playing this on just my phone?

Oh, I should also say that I also don't particularly like FoU's tunnel on Tric, but it's at least generating some content from others, and it's sufficiently different from his D1 play as scum in Meph's Supernatural that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

*makes to leave, turns around at the last moment*

Just one more thing!

Jim

Jim: Do you mind presenting your full case for us? this is all I can find:

. . .

And then your most recent two posts.

The problem I have here is that your entire basis is that "FoU's argument is bad". You don't include what the actual problem with the argument IS.

Please, take the extra steps to build a foundation for your house. What is the core, base, central, problem with FoU's case that makes FoU scum for having it? Stop skipping this step please.

FoU is scum because he thinks TricMagic is scum which is completely incompatible with my meta read on TricMagic. Moreover, if FallacyofUrist were genuinely town, I think he should have the same read about TricMagic that I do given that I think he's a capable enough player for it and he's played with TricMagic enough to recognize it.

There are also aspects of his scum play that I recognize, but these showed up after my initial vote on him. I elaborated a bit in my previous post.

I don't think I've been mysterious about my reasons why so I'm confused why there's a gap for you. I wasted too much time answering this befuddling question.

Asking people about, or clarification of, the reasons they're voting is... kinda basic in the game of mafia. If you think it's a waste of time we can get rid of you early so you can play Noita if you like?

There's a ridiculous number of people who are getting away with not doing anything right now, and being new is no excuse.

I'll post this just now, I think there was something else I wanted to say but being able to type this all out probably makes the wall a bit too big :|
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 92