Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47947 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #315 on: April 18, 2023, 10:47:17 am »

Also, to be fair to TricMagic, he makes baffling decisions but he does put in effort and has a reasonable understanding of the game state at any given time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 18, 2023, 11:01:02 am »

Jim, that's a reasonable question. Why random? Because at this stage of the game, what with phoneposting and time constraints, I've got a pretty poor handle on the game. Digging into the bucket and pulling out three worms at random is a quicker way of untangling them than sifting slowly through, looking for the slimiest.

---

Re: Tric, I think it's fine for players to have different styles, it only becomes a problem when this is cause to drop all suspicion or when players decide not to engage with them to avoid the headache.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 18, 2023, 11:16:35 am »

Tric is king hat man

He noice

I respec

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2023, 11:30:47 am »

still sleep-deprived, must get something at least semi-productive in anyway.

first, here's some old stuff I missed:

Lenglon: You’re… starting the game in a… weird aggressive-but-not-particularly-useful way. Why did you choose those particular people to ask questions of?
I don't remember why. I think it was semi-random.

@Lenglon What was the point of those questions earlier anyway? Do ya think they would actually help catch mafia or was it just shitposting?
mostly shitposting. The real RVS was the "you gonna vote me or what punk?" staredown with Cat. the shitposts and refusal to spread pressure evenly were ways to get myself voted to get the ball rolling, and if they happened to generate useful info on the side that was just bonus.

Decent enough reads list, not too much wrong I can see here other than Toaster, and probably FoU. You’re trying to refine some of your reads, so I think I don’t need to do too much with your slot for the time being, other than ask what you’re seeing about Toaster that makes you think they’re town?
Independence. Toaster is using completely independent reasoning from every other person here. They are focusing on Tric, sure, but they haven't dropped their attention on the rest of the players and the game as a whole. So the whole "pressing Tric on D1 for being Tric is an out for scum to not scumhunt" reasoning just plain does not apply here. I frankly dislike the flak Toaster is getting on the subject. I personally find it troublesome and annoying to bother trying to scumhunt Tric because of Tric's off-base priorities, and I will admit that I've been avoiding dealing with it as a result.
But yeah, Toaster in my eyes is thinking for themselves and keeping their eyes on all players. Seems town to me.

next:
Max: why did you drop your meta-based arguments that why should be guessing what alignment people requested pregame? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you did, but why?

Jim: You and I have extremely different views of FoU. Why do you think FoU is scum? I doubt it's only FoU's stance on Tric, despite that being the only thing you said when you voted him.

NQT: What are your thoughts about Max at this point?

unvote
Knightwing: Please participate in the game.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2023, 11:51:14 am »

Max: why did you drop your meta-based arguments that why should be guessing what alignment people requested pregame? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you did, but why?
Like I said in the context of Fallacy, I don't really think I did drop it. It was never meant to be the absolute key to the game, it was just something I was thinking about and I wanted others to consider. There's no need to harp on it. I'm still keeping it in mind as one element of my thoughts on people - for example, I think it tends to implicate Fallacy, Knightwing, and possibly juicebox, and tends to exonerate NQT, Jim, and Tric. That was never fully going to convince me of anything by itself, though.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:18 am »

Jim: You and I have extremely different views of FoU. Why do you think FoU is scum? I doubt it's only FoU's stance on Tric, despite that being the only thing you said when you voted him.

It literally is only about his stance on TricMagic. FallacyofUrist has been around and should recognize that this is 100% unteamed TricMagic, yet he suspects him.

Why suspect TricMagic? Dunno. I think it's an easy read that town FallacyofUrist should easily be capable of.

FallacyofUrist is alwaysscum but he's also not very good at being scum, so I tend to think he reveals his agenda much more freely than other players would, which is what I think I'm seeing here.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - Error Found While Loading Flavor - Requires Reboot
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2023, 12:15:48 pm »

I meant that as in there hasn't been any follow up on it so far. Also what do you mean you're out of vote changes?
I don't like changing my vote a lot. If I don't have someone in mind to change it to, I tend to leave it in one place. So I was just kind of making a joke referencing that.
I didn't really think I needed to follow up. I still think Fallacy's suspicious - Jim actually just did a great job explaining why - but so do several other people, there's a lot of game left, I didn't think I needed to press the issue? This might be part of what ToonyMan means by saying I play selfishly. I just sort of think it is not my job to get this guy in particular voted out. You can even see the clear difference, if you look up webadict's Supernatural, when it was in fact literally my job to get one guy in particular voted out.

Maximum Spin - no complaints, much like notquitethere; His statement about trying to be more helpful did make me raise my eyebrow a little because I remember EuchreJack's comment from AutoMafia where he said if Max is trying to be helpful then he's scum and if he's trying to be aloof then he's town.
I like most everything in this readslist, but I just want to reassure you that EuchreJack isn't the god of my meta.

The eight posts starting from here:
I don't like this disengaged Knightwing, I don't feel good about this fake-looking Jack Panic, and I'm not a fan of this interaction, especially from two people I would most expect to interact like this as scum.

Wow, I guess that's everything. I thought there was going to be more. Maybe in my first readthrough I had more to say that I cared about less this time around.
My first instinct is to vote Knightwing. This isn't related to Lenglon doing so, I've been thinking about it since last night; but the reasoning is the same. This Knightwing seems, once again, to be faking playing the game. I also 100% believe he would submit mafia as his role preference, for what that's worth.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2023, 12:45:38 pm »

PFP

Jim is voting me just because I don’t agree with him on Tric?

This is especially aggravating because he simultaneously implies I’m competent enough to easily figure out Tric’s alignment but too incompetent to hide my scum strategies when I’m mafia.

That’s not a reasonable stance to take. I’m doing my first investigation on Tric, to try and validate my read or prove it wrong, but Jim Groovester gets my vote for that garbage.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2023, 12:53:34 pm »

This is especially aggravating because he simultaneously implies I’m competent enough to easily figure out Tric’s alignment but too incompetent to hide my scum strategies when I’m mafia.
I mean, yeah.

There's a pretty big gap between those thresholds!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2023, 12:57:26 pm »

ToonyMan:
Why do you think Tric is town?
Initially, it's because of his first post since it implies he's not mafia if he's telling the truth unless Web is being a weirdo. If you don't want to accept that as an argument then fine that's understandable. Having looked at his play in the game so far I've observed the following: He selfishly wants to gobble hats and is goading the mafia to try to kill him which is extremely in-character for him as town or third-party, he's done this numerous times (like the previous BYOR15 even). I really don't believe he's mafia here. It's a bad vote.
Perhaps, but do you think he's actually accomplishing anything?
No, but he could as long as he isn't killing town or protecting mafia at night. If he's stealing hats or tracking people or inspecting people then whatever, more power to him. He will likely be a benefit.

What if I told you he forgot mine too?
(I caught him before he left and he sent it before my first post.  I didn't think it was worthy of mention at the time.)
Let's say I believe you, I don't think this changes my opinion of Tric.
Does it change your opinion of me?
It would. I think if you're telling the truth I feel better about you from a meta-game standpoint.

Yesman Jim
I think I'm okay with Jim being on the exact same wavelengths with me because this game isn't decided after D1 ends.

Your read on me is horseshit though. It’s basically “hector’a a good player”, and while I *smarm* at that, It’s a pretty poor reaaon for scumreading someone, and I absolutely stand by my distaste of what EJ is doing.
I don't have a counter to that, you're right. It's possible we just aren't seeing eye-to-eye about Jack. I think I trust a player like Max more than you here because I find Max more agreeable than you since we don't seem to be seeing things from the same perspective.

I'm not feeling juicebox currently, and WAY to many unexplained votes on that wagon.

I was going to vote Fallacy, but I also should be sleeping and/or paying my taxes.  So sympathy not voting.

I can't legitimately vote hector13.  Yeah, I think his vote on me is horseshit, and his play is horseshit, and he reminds me of that game we thunderdomed and I totally owned his scummy ass.  But lashing out at the one person pushing a case against you is counterproductive.

Instead, let's see how everyone really feels about Toaster
Have you come to a consensus on who to sheep or are you going to vote for yourself?

I'm voting Toaster so I want this to be clear.

I want to see Toony use his vote.
Want to see a magic trick? *waves a wand in front of NQT*

More later

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2023, 01:06:19 pm »

TricMagic.

So far, he has gone nuts posting about hats.  Besides hatting up the place we have:

Briefly we see a flash of analysis
His refusal to state his alignment, which I find suspicious.

Other than that, it's the hat bonanza party hour.  I realize Tric's play can be weird, but no one responded to that.  As such, Tric has not actually done anything useful, but he's made a lot of noise.  I'm quite happy voting him.

I am fundamentally appalled you think that's a flash of analysis. Like... Really? That's what you call analysis?
That said, you've certianly leaned scum for me with this. Which kinda makes all the noise I'm making worthwhile, it's meant to draw out scum. If I eat a kill, that's an L for mafia. And I never say I'm town, unless I'm a dragon, then I say I'm a Dragon. (I find that game the funniest since I outright said what I was and was read as town the whole game, all the way to the end.)

I like hats. I need to steal hats to actually do anything. Gib me ma Hat.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2023, 01:10:44 pm »

Not fake playing, it’s called school. I’m gonna post more now that I’m out, first half the day in pretty much non existent on this forum, you can check my posts on other games if you don’t believe me.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2023, 01:18:32 pm »

Do you trust Tric? I don’t trust Tric. Vibe check doesn’t pass. He reads like he knows what he’s doing. It’s like how I always play better when I’m scum.
Voting Tric looks like a potentially reasonable option.

Basically, what we're trying to figure out here is if he's substantially varying from his town baseline. Given how much Tric projects, that's much easier done than for say, Toony. I'd be willing to vote Tric later if a reread of his posts makes me feel like he's scum. Or malevolent third party, though I'd prefer to vote for scum. Chasing third parties too far is a fallacy (rip me).

And Max doesn't feel particularly town, except that's exactly what I felt the last few times I tried to read him, too. There's always this level of detachment which is hard to parse things through.

I do not like these posts. FallacyofUrist gets the read on TricMagic horribly wrong and I do not get any sense from them that FallacyofUrist could hold or could have developed this opinion genuinely. While typing up this post I've at times called these posts gross.

Do you trust Tric? I don’t trust Tric. Vibe check doesn’t pass. He reads like he knows what he’s doing. It’s like how I always play better when I’m scum.
Fallacy, you're always Scum. This is fact. What's with the disingenuous sentence?

(It's a Fallacious Fact, but a Fact all the same.)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2023, 01:20:30 pm »

Siiiigh

Okay.

Tric when competent / focused? Scum.
Tric when incompetent / unfocused? Town.

This Tric is incompetent / focused.

Combine that with the heavy fixation on hats, part of the opening flavor (reminder that we submitted flavor fragments), and an awareness of alignments while making no active effort to scumhunt, while talking about its importance?

He’s probably third party. Outsider or SK I’m guessing. More town points to Toaster then.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2023, 01:42:40 pm »

snip
K, I'll be honest. This would be really impressive as Scum. Particularly given Max's usual day 1 style. As is, just makes me town-sheep you. So that's 2 out of.. 14 other players. 1/7 of the way to winning isn't bad in such a large game.

Siiiigh

Okay.

Tric when competent / focused? Scum.
Tric when incompetent / unfocused? Town.

This Tric is incompetent / focused.

Combine that with the heavy fixation on hats, part of the opening flavor (reminder that we submitted flavor fragments), and an awareness of alignments while making no active effort to scumhunt, while talking about its importance?

He’s probably third party. Outsider or SK I’m guessing. More town points to Toaster then.
I see this in the editor. I have a question for you, how would you describe my play when I was the Dragon that one game?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 92