Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47775 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #600 on: April 19, 2023, 10:55:29 pm »

FoU, Toaster said it's a phrase they don't use. You're arguing with people that agree with you that it's a nulltell.
Oh.

Misread that.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 19, 2023, 10:58:33 pm »

Everybody makes fun of me for wanting to play Noita,

but I haven't played any goddamn Noita since starting this game. :(
I've never played Noita!

unvote.
It's a goddamn miracle.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 19, 2023, 11:08:08 pm »

No one's going to tell me what "managing town" means?

Not really a phrase I use, but the best example I can give is right here in thread where Fallacy is proposing a plan and trying to get everyone to go along.  At least in my opinion.

Ok, thanks!  I think I understand now!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 19, 2023, 11:09:52 pm »

I'm going to go play Dota

When I come back in an hour or two I better not be hammered. Anyone trying to hammer me before I can respond by sharing the information I referred to earlier, is scum.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 19, 2023, 11:14:29 pm »

When I come back in an hour or two I better not be hammered. Anyone trying to hammer me before I can respond by sharing the information I referred to earlier, is scum.

You're at 4 out of 9.  This is "blackmailing the town" territory.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 19, 2023, 11:24:28 pm »

I'm going to go play Dota

Yeah, I think I can cut you some slack if it's only 2 hours.  Not going to unvote you now, but I might if the votes on you rise before the two hours are up.

Oi!  Mamobo!  Where we at?!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 19, 2023, 11:27:29 pm »

Oi!  Mamobo!  Where we at?!

Only change since the last one is Fallacy unvoted Tric here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 19, 2023, 11:44:58 pm »

I wanted to respond to this before but I was needed elsewhere, and now everyone is sleeping.

Max

You were in the game and know the context, wtf is this bullshit!?
Not only that, but I'd just reread it only a day or two before. I just don't see your point.
"Fallacy did X in Y context, so he wouldn't do it in Z context!"?
I also remember Fallacy acting in a way like this as scum with me in Kill Webadict Now. I see similarities to his play in Bring Three just a moment ago, too. Yes, he always has some kind of a reason, the point isn't the reason, the point is this is his standard toolbox.

It’s more “FoU did X in A,B, and C context so drawing conclusions from it is fallacious.”

FoU sometimes goes with the flow, sometimes goes off and does his own thing, sometimes the latter is a little bit bananas.

Point is he was scum in the game Jim quoted, and I think that quote was not a particularly great example of FoU doing mad things as scum because that was the only thing he could do on the face of his team having basically lost at that point, as well as FoU acting very subdued and trying to blend in on D1 of that game by not really doing much of anything beyond dropping read lists, which is a significant departure from what’s happening in this game.

As to your complaint about my complaint about you, part of your argument is reasonable: that I didn't give examples of you managing town, but part is not: that I was somehow being "oddly cautious" by answering a question from somebody else. If I hadn't been asked I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all today, since my focus is on Fallacy, plus you were absent by your own admission so I'd have given you the benefit of the doubt for a while anyway. It's not oddly cautious to frame it as an answer to a question when somebody else asked me the question entirely outside my own control. Unless you think I coordinated with Toaster to open the opportunity to shade you? That's actually fair, but I probably wouldn't have bothered doing that as scum, I don't think.
Back to the reasonable part: Well, I can't really speak to what end you'd be managing town toward yet, because I don't know your plans. I can see the patterns but I don't know where they point yet. I didn't have a list of examples ready because, like I've said before, that's not really how my brain works, but I looked back over your posts and I think I see signs of it here, here, and here, just for a start, not to mention in the post I'm responding to now.
Still, man, like you said, it's d1, I don't have any super strong scumreads yet. If someone wasn't dead set on voting out one of my strongest townreads I don't really know what I'd be doing. I'm not trying to set you up, and don't read too much into it. I'm more suspicious of you because I know you're a strong player.

Alright I’ll accept the accusation of odd caution on your part was an inaccurate assessment on my part, you do tend to keep your cards close to your chest regardless and perhaps I was reading a bit too much into it after the conclusions I drew from… whatever is happening between you and Jim.

As for your examples there’s quite a range of things in there, and I’ll confess to thinking the third example in there would be what you brought up. PPE: I also was going to ask what “managing town” meant, but you answered that already and… I mean, that’s mafia in a nutshell isn’t it? You’re trying to get people to do what you want as town ‘cause you don’t know who to trust beyond yourself, and try to do it as scum ‘cause the best way to win is to co-opt their biggest weapon against you: the elimination.

I also don’t like this idea of people being more wary of me because I’m good at the game, but that’s just a personal gripe that I have to do a little bit extra work as a consequence and I’m lazy.

You and Lenglon and Fallacy have all been harping on about "context" and I really don't get it. I don't think it's disingenuous to quote something "out of context" when the context is easily available? None of the quotes that I've seen have struck me as particularly misrepresentative at all. It feels insincere to an extent, although I don't actually think all of you are scum, so at least some of you probably mean it. I think I just don't get it. I may be biased in that I think Tric and Jim are both extremely townie, I guess, but you knew that already.

I mean… ease of availability is subjective. Like I said above, I’m lazy, if folk can lay out their case with links and highlights so I have to put less effort into understanding it, cool beans. If I have to go to a post to understand context it’s not so cool beans. If I have to understand the context of a completely different game, that’s not happening.

Context is very important though. If we just immediately hammered someone on D1, there would be no context to analyze in relation to their flip on D2. If we let the game take a natural progression though we have a lot we can build on for D2, like voting patterns, how they interacted (or not) with other players, basic stuff like that.

So yeah, when Jim trims things down on a post I made, limiting easily available context, people could click the link to the post, but I personally wouldn’t. Not that egregious really, but when he uses a quote from a different game to justify his read on a player in this game, and that quote means something different within the context of that game, then yeah I feel that’s a lot more problematical, and a reason why I’m not liking Jim in this one.

On that same token, Jim has referred to a handful of games in which Tric was anti-town and how his behaviour in those relates to his behaviour in this game, and I think (without checking since I’m back on my phone) he didn’t link to those games, so people wanting to check the veracity of those claims would have to find those games, then read through those games. That means they’re not reading this one, which is obviously more important to solving this game. Similarly with his justifications about FoU, but he provided that one quote and possibly other links I’m not remembering.

With that I think I’ll call it a night. I should go to sleep but I’ll probably read Shigurui manga until very late and be tired and cranky for tomorrow.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 20, 2023, 12:05:54 am »

I've forgotten how awesome LurkerTracker is.  Thank you Web for using it and Book for making it.

TIER UPDATE

Lenglon has participated pretty well and pursued her cases.  Twice my gut has pinged scum on her, but nothing that stands to reread; pretty sure I'm just jumping at shadows.  DOING WELL ENOUGH FOR D1 TIER.

Jimson's case on FoU stands up and makes sense.  I've not seen anything specific from him that says scum.  What I would like to see from him is his thoughts on non-FoU players.  I don't see him having a second pick, I believe?  TOWNISH BUT NEEDS TO DIVERSIFY HIS BONDS TIER.

Jimothy: Who's after FoU on your scumlist?

Let's not do END OF D1 VOTE SWAP MADNESS this game please.  I probably can't make another substantive post D1, but I'll keep an eye out for questions.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 20, 2023, 12:11:47 am »

I've forgotten how awesome LurkerTracker is.  Thank you Web for using it and Book for making it.

TIER UPDATE

Lenglon has participated pretty well and pursued her cases.  Twice my gut has pinged scum on her, but nothing that stands to reread; pretty sure I'm just jumping at shadows.  DOING WELL ENOUGH FOR D1 TIER.

Jimson's case on FoU stands up and makes sense.  I've not seen anything specific from him that says scum.  What I would like to see from him is his thoughts on non-FoU players.  I don't see him having a second pick, I believe?  TOWNISH BUT NEEDS TO DIVERSIFY HIS BONDS TIER.

Jimothy: Who's after FoU on your scumlist?

Let's not do END OF D1 VOTE SWAP MADNESS this game please.  I probably can't make another substantive post D1, but I'll keep an eye out for questions.
There's literally another 19 hours. You're planning on being idle for 19 hours?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 20, 2023, 12:19:34 am »

I mean… ease of availability is subjective. Like I said above, I’m lazy, if folk can lay out their case with links and highlights so I have to put less effort into understanding it, cool beans. If I have to go to a post to understand context it’s not so cool beans. If I have to understand the context of a completely different game, that’s not happening.
Hm. I can see how that would be a problem because I refer back to other games a lot.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2023, 12:29:27 am »

Lenglon:
There's literally another 19 hours. You're planning on being idle for 19 hours?

No, I plan on going to sleep as soon as I post then and then going to work when I get up in the morning, where I will be unable to even PFP until after lunch.  I'll get home and talk to the boss lady as she goes out the door until approximately 15-20 minutes before day end.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 20, 2023, 12:40:41 am »

I also agree with Toaster concerning referrals to other games.  It's enough having to keep up with this game.

Also, I've been thinking...

Assuming that we don't lynch Tric (and he isn't shot) on D1, how soon do we need to know his alignment?

Would it be ok if we knew on (say) D3, or would we need to know no later than (say) D2?  Would it be OK if anyone (assuming they had the ability) told the town what Tric's alignment was, or would it be better coming from a particular person?  If the latter, than who?

Just some thinking...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 20, 2023, 12:46:19 am »

Actually, take those "say"'s out of my previous post.  I want to know if Tric's alignment absolutely needs to be known no later than D2.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 20, 2023, 12:53:00 am »

Cat: there's no clean answer to that, especially when we're in a BYOR.

You have to bear in mind that there is potential for people to have false inspect results (which FoU and Max have claimed to have by the way), there's potential for people to even have false roleflips on death. There's potential for people's alignments to change throughout the game.

What you've hinted at Cat, intentionally or not, is that you have either an inspection ability or a nightkill. If you didn't mean to advertize that, then you should think a bit more carefully about the implications of the kinds of questions you ask. if it's a nightkill, using it on Tric is a decent decision but it would be better for you to try to kill scum with it. If it's an inspection, things get more complicated. You can either use your inspection to try to find scum, or you can use it to try to find town. It'll give you a way to be modestly certain (and no more than modestly certain because having the ability to deceive inspection results is fairly common in these kinds of games) that you can trust someone, or that they're a good choice for the D2 lynch. I personally would suggest that you pick someone you're very middle-of-the-road about. That way you can shift your focus away from the confusing person and instead focus on someone else.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 92