Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47288 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Role Decorating In Progress - [15 Players Loaded]
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2023, 02:13:11 am »

Also, don’t you need to unvote EuchreJack before you vote Lenglon?  Or can you vote both at the same time?  I’d probably vote both of them if I could…
Cat: then why are you voting neither? A vote unused doesn't accomplish anything now does it? Vote scum!

Fine, then!

Ask and ye shall receive:

Lenglon
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - Error Found While Loading Flavor - Requires Reboot
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2023, 02:15:13 am »

Ayyyy missing posts already, stellar start.

hector:
Toaster and Jim and ToonyMan: who are the players we should be trying to clear first? I was going to ask this to the more experienced players but there are quite a few of you so I guess those three seem to be a decent cross-section for this one…

Far too early to worry about individual players, really, and I'm not really into clearing a specific person anyway.  If the question you're trying to ask is "who's generally hard to read" then I'll give you... oh, Fallacy, Toony, and Jim.  Fallacy can be unpredictable, Toony I've watched some great play in the Mafiascum tournament, and Jim is good at driving a thought process if he's invested, though his investment is fickle.

Eh I would mostly agree with that. Toony is basically unreadable unless he makes a mistake (good luck on that!) though I may have a scumtell of Jim’s in my noggin… hopefully if he’s scum the pull of Noita causes some lax play.

As for FoU, I played a year long series of mafia with him so I possibly have a better handle on reading him than most, though it was aaaaaages ago and he tends to mod over playing these days and the previous game I read him wrong (I wasn’t playing in it though) so my FoU reads aren’t fool-proof. I was right in the last game he was scum though, on D1 too.

Jim says nice things, though I now worry he is trying to pocket me, particularly since his voting and reasons for voting mirror mine.

*points his fingers at his eyes and then at Jim*

Just to annoy webadict in case he didn’t foresee this with Mamobo

ACC (A_Curious_Cat)

Also because of their over-cautious play re:voting Lenglon. It takes 9 to hammer and I think we’ve only had 6 players post so far. Admittedly I think 4 of them are voting Lenglon, but still…

PPE: you don’t have to unvote before voting someone else. Your most recent vote counts, unless you hammer someone in a post even if you change to someone else in it. One of the KoM games had that happen, which was funny, given the title at stake. It’s an edge case though and I don’t know how webadict would process it.

I get why you’d want to (and now are) voting Lenglon, but why would you also want to vote EuchreJack?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2023, 02:28:22 am »

ACC (A_Curious_Cat)

Also because of their over-cautious play re:voting Lenglon. It takes 9 to hammer and I think we’ve only had 6 players post so far. Admittedly I think 4 of them are voting Lenglon, but still…

PPE: you don’t have to unvote before voting someone else. Your most recent vote counts, unless you hammer someone in a post even if you change to someone else in it. One of the KoM games had that happen, which was funny, given the title at stake. It’s an edge case though and I don’t know how webadict would process it.

I get why you’d want to (and now are) voting Lenglon, but why would you also want to vote EuchreJack?

1.  I guess I just felt like I was being railroaded.  I see now that you do have a point.  I’ll also say that if you lynch me you’ll be losing a great ally for the town.

2.  Thanks for clearing that up.

3.  I was wanting to vote them on the basis that, if they were scum, their ability would likely be detrimental to the town.  In the absence of other people to lynch, it’s better than nothing.

Now that I’ve typed that, I’m no longer so sure about voting EuchreJack now that I think Lenglon is probably scum.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2023, 02:31:26 am »

Also, don’t you need to unvote EuchreJack before you vote Lenglon?  Or can you vote both at the same time?  I’d probably vote both of them if I could…
Cat: then why are you voting neither? A vote unused doesn't accomplish anything now does it? Vote scum!

Fine, then!

Lenglon

3.  I was wanting to vote them on the basis that, if they were scum, their ability would likely be detrimental to the town.  In the absence of other people to lynch, it’s better than nothing.
Now that I’ve typed that, I’m no longer so sure about voting EuchreJack now that I think Lenglon is probably scum.

Cat: Cool. Now say why I'm scum.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2023, 02:35:33 am »

Fine, then!

Lenglon

Cat: Cool. Now say why I'm scum.

Mainly because of this:

Ask me questions too, or you won't have a leg to stand on.
No

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2023, 02:36:30 am »

Cat: okay, so what's the scummy part of me doing/saying that?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2023, 02:45:40 am »

Cat: okay, so what's the scummy part of me doing/saying that?

I guess it’s because I’ve heard that the best way to look town is to actively hunt scum, and I thought you were reluctant to check if FoU was scum…

Then again, this is my very first game, so I guess I could just be an idiot…

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2023, 02:52:56 am »

Real talk, not knowing something doesn't make you dumb. We're all learning, even the people with years of experience. Everyone here had a first game, and I think you're doing fine, currently.

Right now (in this stage of the game), what's important is just generating activity and data by pushing people around. Every vote counts towards that.

What's more important than the four-vote bandwagon on Lenglon is the other players' reactions to the four-vote bandwagon on Lenglon.

Does anyone look particularly averse to what's going on? Anyone seem unusually protective or distant as a result of what's happening? Too eager to hop on?

Everything produces data. And while there's nothing known for certain without role powers to gather information, what matters during the day is making estimates.

And the more day phases and actual days that go on, the more likely it is that one of the scum will slip up. And either the town estimates will converge and strike down scum, or the scum will manage to divert those trajectories long enough to win.

That's mafia.

The fact that webadict is willing to make my little pony unicorn cults appear in his games doesn't change the essence of what this game is.

Anyways back to voting Lenglon for no rational reason because it generates data
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2023, 03:07:59 am »

Based on looking at old games with a similar play count,  I think we're looking at:

3 mafia
4 third party (inc relatively benign, and hostile)
8 town

With 15 players nothing is entirely off the table, alignment-wise.

I'm stuck phoneposting until at least Tuesday, so don't expect me to do anything fancy yet. Will try to answer questions, and ask some too.

Toaster, if I were scum, I'd want an experienced hand who wasn't too jumpy on my team. Someone like you. Expect some analytical stuff on D2 onward, though what exact flavour will depend a lot on what happens.

Knightwing64, tell me something interesting about the game so far.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2023, 06:33:40 am »

I think this is where we are:

Vote Count
------------------------
A_Curious_Cat  --1-- hector13
Egan_BW        --0--
EuchreJack     --0--
FallacyofUrist --1--  Lenglon
Fluffe9911     --0--
hector13       --0--
Jim Groovester --0--
juicebox       --0--
Knightwing64   --1-- notquitethere
Lenglon        --3--    FallacyofUrist, Jim  Groovester, A_Curious_Cat
Maximum Spin   --1--   Toaster
notquitethere  --0--
Toaster        --0--
ToonyMan       --0--
TricMagic      --0--
No One         --0--

Not Voting     --9-- Egan_BW, EuchreJack, EuchreJack, Fluffe9911, juicebox, Knightwing64, Maximum Spin, ToonyMan, TricMagic

Did I get everything right?  Anyone see any problems?  Did I miss something?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2023, 06:51:55 am »

Addendum: there could easily be a 4 player scum team and one or 0 third parties, as in BYOR15. If 2+ players flip 3rd party we can be pretty sure we've only got 3 scum here.

--

- I'm curious about Lenglon's approach here, looking forward to seeing more
- Cat, nice count. Shooting from the hip, who do you think is most likely to be eliminated d1?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2023, 07:22:53 am »

- Cat, nice count. Shooting from the hip, who do you think is most likely to be eliminated d1?

Lenglon seems to be in the lead, currently…

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2023, 07:49:59 am »

That means nothing. Whoever is in the lead early D1 rarely is eliminated. There'll be loads more wagons before the end of day, and (I see Toony is in this game so) probably a frantic mass switch around of votes in the last fifteen minutes. Someone like hector13 is more likely  to get eliminated. Guess again.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2023, 07:52:40 am »

On second thought, I think it’s too early to tell.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2023, 08:10:14 am »

HATS!

In answer to why. But for whatever reason, I never received my PM. What's up with that web?

Well, not like being amnesiac would be bad. Or whatever this is.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 92