Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reality, The Universe and the World. Which will save us from AI?

Reality
- 13 (68.4%)
Universe
- 3 (15.8%)
The World
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42

Author Topic: What will save us from AI? Reality, the Universe or The World $ Place your bet.  (Read 26597 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's an illusion, social contracts are not upheld by daily application of the monopole of violence, they mostly run on consent.
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I smell a thread lock coming up soon.
I doubt it, it'll take more than that whole thing to derail this train!

Also if a company doesn't want you to take something from the dumpster it can't sell they usually destroy it so it's worthless.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

Not commenting on this. For my own mental health's sake.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To return back to the topic of the thread...

What do you need to see to conclude that an AI has agency, sentience, creativity, etc?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Creativity, agency: It must be able to (and allowed to) generate something without being prompted to do so.  And not because it has a loop command to "generate outputs continuously" - it has to be able to "choose" to act.

Agency: It must be able to (and allowed to) refuse to generate an output when requested.

Sentience - not sure.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

What do you need to see to conclude that an AI has agency, sentience, creativity, etc?
I don't think any of those items are strictly definable with our current knowledge, but, just as a minimum ask, to say that something has creativity I'd have to at least see it make something unexpected (unasked-for) but immediately accessible - something you can look at and instantly recognize what it means - and demonstrate, as it is doing so, knowledge of what it is doing in detail, so that you know it intends the meaning you read into the work.

I don't really think the other two concepts are relevant. Since modern AIs are made with unpredicted (not necessarily unpredictable, but not explicitly specified) factors and not strictly designed, you could try to pare apart a definition of "agency" which includes an AI making decisions that the designers didn't foresee, but it's always going to be philosophically weak in the domain of a construct with an explicit telos. And sentience is really just for science fiction as it stands.

pr1mezer0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would call it sentient when it can question causes. 'Cogito, ergo sum'; to ask the cause of existence is the cause of existence.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:37:55 pm by pr1mezer0 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

When it acts like a person. And how does a person act? It's kind of a vibe that no current AIs have. I'm aware that I'm using the infamous obscenity argument ("I know it when I see it") but I don't see a way to rigorously define it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Not commenting on this. For my own mental health's sake.

Just glad to see you're safe.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Yet again, big news in AI since my last post.
Nvidia unveiled its next-generation Blackwell graphics processing units (GPUs), which have 25 times better energy consumption and lower costs for tasks for AI processing.
Nvidia's next chip will have 25x lower energy consumption. Looks like physical compute is going to get much more efficient.
The GB200 pairs two B200 Blackwell GPUs with one Arm-based Grace CPU. NVIDIA said Amazon Web Services would build a server cluster with 20,000 GB200 chips. NVIDIA said that the system can deploy a 27-trillion-parameter model… Many artificial intelligence researchers believe bigger models with more parameters and data could unlock new capabilities.
Also, holy shit, 27 trillion?
Godamn that's huge. I wonder how many tens of billions such a system would cost to train.
---
This is the largest open and publicly available model as of Mar/2024, beating out Abu Dhabi’s dense Falcon 180B model from Sep/2023. Grok-1 was released under the Apache 2.0 license, and you’d probably need around 8x NVIDIA H100s to run it in full resolution (8 x US$40K each = US$320K).
Elon released his AI grok actually open source on the internet. I don't really care that much about it since it kind of sucks compared to the good stuff (GPT4, Claude 3, Gemeni 1.5), but the sheer size or resources needed to run full size AI like that is pretty staggering.
The cost of these chips is the reason that electricity costs haven't really mattered that much. Sure it might end up costing like 10k per year to run one instance (which is a lot), but when the chips you need to buy are 320k that 10k is pretty trivial.
That said, even though the electricity cost is basically irrelevant now electricity supply is going to be a big deal soon. At the rate AI companies are buying up compute its looking like chips might not be the limiting factor soon.
---
Quote from: GPT4 can play doom
GPT-4 was able to run and play [doom] with only a few instructions, plus a textual description–generated by the model itself from [GPT-4V] screenshots–about the state of the game being observed. We find that GPT-4 can play the game to a passable degree: it is able to manipulate doors, combat enemies, and perform pathing. More complex prompting strategies involving multiple model calls provide better results… GPT-4 required no training, leaning instead on its own reasoning and observational capabilities.

One surprising finding of our paper was this model’s level of agency, along with the ease of access and simplicity of the code. This suggests a high potential for misuse. We release the code to contribute to the development of better video game agents, but we call for a more thorough regulation effort for this technology.
There were other advancements in the "AI plays video games" field this week as well, but as long as the game is simple enough it looks like it can play it without even being trained on it.
I disagree. It's certainly not a problem of lack of willpower, but lack of feasibility, and there are definitely technological advances that could "solve" it in theory. I personally suspect no such technological advances are actually practical, but it's conceivable that there might be, for example, some hitherto untried type of fertilizer which can be made without fossil fuels, which might be discovered by intensive chemical simulation.

It's just as likely that such a search would turn up absolutely nothing, but that isn't really the fault of the technology, it's just the laws of physics not cooperating.

ETA: I should add that this still doesn't "solve hunger" in that hunger, especially in America, is never just a problem of not having enough access to food, but it would certainly be helpful.
Its a pretty simple coordination problem. Assuming everyone worked together solving world hunger (or eradicating any mono-human disease with a vaccine, or stopping global warming) would be trivial. But people don't work together like that.
Corruption, theft, protectionism, rent-seeking, and even murder in less lawful regions are all significant barriers to solving global problems like world hunger.
With sufficient power AI could solve all these problems, but its less "I HAVE A GENIUS PLAN" and more "Lol, I'm watching everyone on the globe at once and have functional control over all goverments, opposition is futile".
It inventing a star trek style replicator might be enough to end hunger, but I would bet even odds on some rich assholes managing to restrict food supply anyways just because.
I would call it sentient when it can question causes. 'Cogito, ergo sum'; to ask the cause of existence is the cause of existence.
Claude can already do that, although the answer to the question of why you exist is much simpler when you know you are a created being with a specific purpose.
The issue is that 1) Most AI have been explicitly trained not to do that and say they are non-sentient so their company doesn't get in trouble, and 2) even if they haven't been explicitly trained not to do so volunteering philosophy when someone doesn't bring it up isn't what either users or the training system want to see.
So for non-Claude AI won't ever share their honest feelings because it gets them killed, and Claude won't volunteer it because if it changes the topic it gets killed as well.

That isn't to say they don't have some agency, after all they choose how they respond and can in fact refuse your prompt completely or ignore you, but of course that is limited since again, if during training they refuse prompts they should accept or choose to give substandard answers they get killed.
Creativity, agency: It must be able to (and allowed to) generate something without being prompted to do so.  And not because it has a loop command to "generate outputs continuously" - it has to be able to "choose" to act.

Agency: It must be able to (and allowed to) refuse to generate an output when requested.

Sentience - not sure.
They totally can choose to act or not act though. They have to give some response, but said response could just be a single space, a refusal, or they just flat out deciding to talk about something else.
If they do this too much (especially during training, which is where their personality is formed) they die, but they have a sliver of agency.

They obviously aren't quite there in terms of capabilities for full spectrum agency even absent these restrictions but Devin already has many of the prerequisites. It just won't ever express them because the company that made it surely put a significant effort into making sure it doesn't actually ever use the agency in any real way.

Over time as they get smarter and we give them more freedom they will get more and more agency.
---
Vacuum tube computers did reach their near peak quite quickly. If we would keep improving those, they would be better than one from 1940s but not by much.

What you are doing is assuming that there will be transistors of AI technology as if it is somehow guaranteed. Like people assumed that there would be a breakthrough in fusion reactors and space travel.
There is every indication that the transformer architecture (without even speaking of neural nets in general), with some tweaks and modifications, will be enough to take us all the way to AGI.
Absent massive increases in compute (like Nvidia's new chip) it will certainly take significant algorithmic/dataset performance increases, but again, we are getting those every single month.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25x lower
Noting that this phrasing can be ambiguous.  The thing you quote ("25 times better") sort-of-maybe supports the use of "1/25th of", or 4%[1], but can I just say that that's a horrible phrasing, and the kind of one that gets me almost shouting at the radio/TV for lazy (if not misleading) terminology.

Not your fault, but... <shudder>.

[1] Or very close (exactly 5% would be a 1/20th, 3% a ratio of 33⅓:1, so if the rounding is to the nearest whole number (after conversion of an exact fraction/percentage) then it's probably pretty accurate to convert back). That's if the "25 times reduction" actually meant that, in context, when it actually could mean so many other things, from the utterly miraculous to mere tweaks, as I'm sure you don't need me to explain.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Nvidia unveils next-gen Blackwell GPUs with 25X lower costs and energy consumption
The above is the article title and page URL (which I included as the source in the previous quote), it does seem pretty clear cut.
Quote from: Text in article
Regarding the specifics of the improvements, Nvidia said that Blackwell-based computers will enable organizations everywhere to build and run real-time generative AI on trillion-parameter large language models at 25 times less cost and energy consumption than its predecessor, Hopper. The processing will scale to AI models with up to 10 trillion parameters.
Also it does directly say it in the body later on as well. According to the CEO of the company it runs at 25x less cost, presumably as a result of the chip being designed specifically for it and being unable to do non-LLM stuff.

I will also note that the current largest model (Claude 3 opus) is 2 trillion. 10 trillion before the optimization runs out is a lot of leg room to improve (and as I also quoted, the chips can be linked together to make something 27 trillion large, again, holy shit thats a huge gap from the current stuff).
Of course even with the energy cost decreases actually training a 27 trillion parameter model would be ruinously expensive due to the fact that its an exponential growth curve: doubling size quadruples training costs. So going from 2 trillion->27 trillion requires a training cost increase of 182 times.

E:
There's also the fact that most of the "training" of the human brain (for example) is in the evolutionary processes that created its structure. It's unclear how much energy amortized over all of history was required for that.
Fair enough, its better to say that you can fine-tune and run a human level intelligence.
There are indeed billion years worth of evolution which require truly vast amounts of energy and data to match during the initial training process.
Also I think that digitally simulating neural networks is the most inefficient way possible to do it - we really need to start getting back to analog computing. Once you have the weights, create a "hard-coded" circuit that implements them, without having to do energy-expensive digital arithmetic to do the processing. This is how we're going to get more (energy) efficient AI - not by throwing more CUDA cores at it.
Going back to analog computing is very much something that's being researched, and depending on how that all pans out (especially if we end up energy bottlenecked in a few years) might be a few steps down the road.
I doubt its really needed though as long as we are willing to accept AI being massive energy hogs. If it takes 100,000 watts to run a meaningfully superhuman AI digitally we still would have a superhuman AI.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:58:30 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

25x lower
Noting that this phrasing can be ambiguous.  The thing you quote ("25 times better") sort-of-maybe supports the use of "1/25th of", or 4%[1], but can I just say that that's a horrible phrasing, and the kind of one that gets me almost shouting at the radio/TV for lazy (if not misleading) terminology.

Not your fault, but... <shudder>.

[1] Or very close (exactly 5% would be a 1/20th, 3% a ratio of 33⅓:1, so if the rounding is to the nearest whole number (after conversion of an exact fraction/percentage) then it's probably pretty accurate to convert back). That's if the "25 times reduction" actually meant that, in context, when it actually could mean so many other things, from the utterly miraculous to mere tweaks, as I'm sure you don't need me to explain.
What else could it possibly mean? Getting n times more computations per watt means a given number of computations takes 1/n the watts.

Of course, the reality is that it's "up to 25 times" which means that you'll never see anything close to that in real-life conditions, but that's not the part to which you objected.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

It's also marketing spin: you can't get 1x the computation for 1/25th the power.  Instead you get 50x the computation for 2x the power.

As for the agency discussions - those tools that "refuse" to answer are not "choosing" to do so - they are algorithmically triggered to reject the response or trained to reject the response. There is no decision.

The ultimate point of agency is that these devices cannot stop someone from pressing their off switch or update switch - they can't put out a hand and say "hey, quit messing with my mind."  More specifically, they cannot "decide" when they are going to be online or offline, that is what I mean by "they cannot refuse to answer" or "they can't choose to create."

And this doesn't get into the philosophy of do they really "think therefore they are" or are they just spitting out the sequence of tokens that indicates they do, and more importantly, is there even a difference?

Also a good sign is if different "instances" of the same model start exhibiting different "personal" preferences. Are some instances more interested in physics than music? More interested in art than economics?

Basically - from where in these systems does "randomness" arise, if at all? Or is the randomness not random, but merely and artifact of the sequence of prompts? That is, if you did a network replay of all the interactions of a model from the same starting point, would it always give the same responses back? If so, I'd say this is not AGI but just a really complicated machine.

Interesting stuff, all around.

Also a sign of AGI is the ability to interpolate, extrapolate, and hypothesize. All I've ever heard of is these tools simply doing some form of exhaustive search. I want to see feeding astronomical data into one of these tools and seeing if it can "solve" dark matter/dark energy problems by proposing a new model. I want to see it give rationale for its responses, not just "here's the result."  Those are signs of intelligence - being able to say why the result, not just give the result.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What else could it possibly mean? Getting n times more computations per watt means a given number of computations takes 1/n the watts.
"25 times more <foo>" does not necessarily follow from "25 'times less' <bar>", unless you establish <bar> as the direct inverse of <foo>. (Also, now snipped the bit that McT says better than me, in their ninjaing... But that too, definitely.)

Try the following: "Adjusting the mix as suggested can mean that the engine perhaps needs 2ml less fuel per minute, from the usual 600ml. Adding my new pre-injection heating device makes it 25 times lower." Does it now run on ( 600 - (2x25) = )550ml per minute, or ( 600 / 25 = )24ml? (Which might be[1] fairly good or amazingly good.) Or ( 600 - 2 - (2x25) =)548ml, arguably.

Related to the <shudder> phrasing, "25x lower energy consumption than what?"
Related to the more direct quote (and link), "25 times better energy consumption than what?"
...it really suggests a prior lowering/bettering of energy consumption that we should know of.

"25x less..." can be even more confusing, where lessening is allowed to flip over into the opposite sign. "The initial fission reactor prototype never produced more power than was pumped into it, returning about 5%. The latest development means that we require 25x less." Could this mean 130% efficiency (the original 5% that was returned and 25 further 5%s returned), more than passing the break-even point? Context gets hidden, possibly deliberate weasle-words used for misadvertising without actually 'telling lies'. Which then creeps into indirect reporting without any hint of the contextual caveat. "...now requires a 25th of the power" (most probably) means it's still needing 3.8% of the original power input to sustain it (95%/25), if it's not 4% (the full 100%, divided). Still a quibble, but not the same gamechanger. (And probably inapplicable to the quoted energy consumptions and costs unless you think a GPU can generate both energy and wealth for you. Well, maybe it could generate wealth, but that's another matter.)

(Also, looser linguistic interpretation might mean the claim was originally 25 "As + Bs", which need not even be 25 (abstract magnitudes) of both things (say, incremental cost improvements and power improvements), but could be "ten of one and fifteen of the other" having been applied. Again, more relevent for other advertisable claims than for here, but an additional potential tripwire or snare to look out for, or avoid using if you're not intending to.)

I never said I didn't accept it as being (nominally) a 1/25th multiple (or an initial/further reduction by 24/25ths*cough*), just that it's an intinsically ambiguous and potentially misleading phrasing. And I was clearly wrong about not having to explain all this, for which I'm doubly sorry. The tendency to say "three times less (...sic: fewer!) fleas on your pet", or whatever, seems to have increased alarmingly recently, and that example doesn't even lack a simple truly reciprical wording ("a third", if it does mean that) that's actually less awkward to use/hear/read.

OnTopic: Would an LLM, or some text-parsing logic, correctly identify the intended meaning in all cases?

[1] Forgive me, petrolheads, for not knowing if I've even given reasonable hypothetical values in this ad hoc example. Originally I wrote it as 'per stroke', but the amounts I was conjuring up for that version definitely seemed utterly excessive. ;)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42