Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Death : all cause check ?  (Read 1726 times)

Cybermoss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FPS Death : all cause check ?
« on: March 13, 2023, 07:06:17 am »

Hello everyone,

I'm in desperate need for your help.

I'm in years 14, 200-220 dwarves, about 100 hours in this fort ^^'. And I run at 7-8 FPS. I've check the wiki list "Maximizing your framerate", but nothing help. I've also tried DFhack with no succes.

You are my last hope

Already try :
- Kill pets
- Lowering stocks ++
- Limit interaction
- Traffic road
- Canceled squads
- Change INI
- No temperature
- DFhack : all scatered x, clean all, all fix command

PS : Don't know how I can upload the save

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death : all cause check ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 07:21:48 am »

Have you tried to add burrows and limit dwarfes movements? Remove communal meeting areas like taverns and temples and make small ones for each borrow. Let only haulers move freely.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:01:04 am »

220 is quite a lot so you might simply have reached the limit of your computer, but otherwise have you checked for cave people? They can appear in the hundreds in v50 and don't clear out as they should.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:30:49 pm »

Design a way for your dwarves to nearly never be in line of sight of each other.
as apparently this create a lots of checks that may end to be most CPU intensive and when lots of dwarves are in each other line of sight it can get nasty and become one of the big reason of performance issue :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180561.0

So i imagine a good use of burrows so you can separate the dwarves and keep only a certain amount of dwarves in specific areas out of sight from the other groups will keep those problems relaitvely in check, but that means probably forget about taverns, temples, other social area etc...

Maybe a workaround to that is to build each floor of your fortress as independant (using burrow) from each other, so if you only have a limited amount of dwarves in a floor, even having taverns, temples, etc... may not get so many dwarves into them, limiting then the amount of line of sight checks.

Also, while said thread mention pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death, there are some known problems (a creature stuck on a tree, or stuck on anything it is hopelessly trying to path to your fort but can't, a dwarf getting a mood while stuck on top of a wall without stairs ...) that can also destroy your fps.
In the case of caverns, walling them off from your fort can help as creatures aren't supposed to be able to check pathfinding through walls.

For uploading your save,  just zip it and use https://easyupload.io/  to upload it, and paste the link you'll be given to your post.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:34:11 pm by Robsoie »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 03:59:33 pm »

Design a way for your dwarves to nearly never be in line of sight of each other.
as apparently this create a lots of checks that may end to be most CPU intensive and when lots of dwarves are in each other line of sight it can get nasty and become one of the big reason of performance issue :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180561.0
Seems to be about being within range of possibly being within sight of each other, if they're not in range then the check doesn't happen, and whether they can see each other doesn't matter as much since the check still has to be done, and also z-level doesn't matter:
1. The feature of skipping interactions between dwarves if they are 26 or more tiles apart is by far the most impactful on performance. Its the mechanism that allows to have 1000 dwarves in a single embark with reasonable fps (at one point even 65 fps after culling all migrated animals!)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 05:19:19 pm »

Ah that's interesting, so it's a question of distance between them and not that they're seeing each other.
Hmm, so it's a bigger problem then as 26 tiles is a lot when playing on short maps and z levels do not matter.

So basically if you plan on large amount of dwarves and keep good enough fps, you can't really make a single fortress, but it's more about making multiple ones separated by enough tiles (and all in burrow) to avoid too many dwarves getting under the 26 tiles at the same time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 07:42:03 pm »

7-8 FPS is almost definitely not a line of sight issue. LoS is as low as it gets in typical cases, sub-10 usually means something's stuck in a tree or similar.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:20:20 am »

7-8 FPS is almost definitely not a line of sight issue. LoS is as low as it gets in typical cases, sub-10 usually means something's stuck in a tree or similar.
Would revealing hell by carving a fortification into the adamantine walls also cause lag in the same vein as stuck in tree?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 06:28:26 am »

Would revealing hell by carving a fortification into the adamantine walls also cause lag in the same vein as stuck in tree?

Yes, likely

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 02:37:00 pm »

Yes, likely

I don't think so, actually. IDK about the original clown car, but shutting the HFS with a hatch after breach has no FPS impact.

Building a staircase to the slade floor kills it, however. And then the fire clowns come...
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 07:16:44 pm »

Yes, likely

I don't think so, actually. IDK about the original clown car, but shutting the HFS with a hatch after breach has no FPS impact.

There's no line-of-sight with a hatch, but there is for fortifications. I recently saw a fort being run by a streamer that had about half the fort just stuck staring at an invader on the other end of a fortification, not taking care of their own needs, because they were repeatedly failing to path to the invader but not actually keeping note of this. This is the sort of thing we're dealing with.