Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 208992 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2355 on: September 25, 2024, 09:06:59 pm »

Nothing in war is less than a tremendous waste of resources... And the benefit would be that all of the Russian citizens would have a chance to have a private laugh at Putin's expense. Most older Russians have no toys and are to some degree, jealous of Putin's toys.

Most Russian citizens will either don't care or be insulted that their Tzar is humiliated. But let's say you are right. How can private laughs help Ukraine to win the war? How can it change Russia for the better?
Changing Russia and winning the war are different things. I'm going to answer about "winning the war" and leave "changing Russia" for others to contemplate.

Ukraine is never going to win using brute force because there is too much meat to fit in the meat-grinder. They need a political win from other methods, and keeping the Russian public from having any interest in fighting is important for that political win.

So, what would the Russian news media and the Russian citizens say for each of these scenarios?
A) Ukraine drone-bombs a weapons factory near a city but collateral damage kills some citizens.
B) Ukraine drone-bombs one of Putin's palaces and wrecks a bunch of stuff, then releases the videos into the Russian media space.

I'm not saying it should be a focus, but there are already people trying to determine if killing Putin is an option, which means they are already looking at the locations where he might be and how best to attack them.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 26, 2024, 12:55:51 am »

Nothing in war is less than a tremendous waste of resources... And the benefit would be that all of the Russian citizens would have a chance to have a private laugh at Putin's expense. Most older Russians have no toys and are to some degree, jealous of Putin's toys.
So, what would the Russian news media and the Russian citizens say for each of these scenarios?
A) Ukraine drone-bombs a weapons factory near a city but collateral damage kills some citizens.
B) Ukraine drone-bombs one of Putin's palaces and wrecks a bunch of stuff, then releases the videos into the Russian media space.

1) Russian media will say what they are ordered to say unless you count some opposition social network accounts as media.
2) Why do you even think Russians care if Putin's stuff is damaged? Zombie pro-Putin don't even believe it is his. Regular pro-Putin know that it is a minor thing. Pro-war anti-Putin will have a small smile on their face. Liberal anti-Putin folk won't change any opinions.

I'm not saying it should be a focus, but there are already people trying to determine if killing Putin is an option, which means they are already looking at the locations where he might be and how best to attack them.
How is this related to a drone hitting some Putin's pretty house?

They need a political win from other methods, and keeping the Russian public from having any interest in fighting is important for that political win.

I have an opposite opinion on that. For a "political victory". To make Russian public want to stop a war a simple thing should happen. When missiles hit some Ukrainian city and kill a few dozens, first thought of a Russian should be not "Ha, more Khohols dead" but "oh fuck, a retaliatory attack will leave ME without a bridge, without water and electricity, without my job when my factory will be bombed, or(if I am unlucky) without my life". At least in the border regions. Unfortunately, Ukraine has no such capabilities.

Why should they care if bombs hit Putin's stuff? How can it motivate them to desire the end of the war to the point of doing something?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 26, 2024, 01:03:45 am »

Putin made some more threats in a Russian security council meeting today.

He says he will use nuclear weapons when Russia is attacked by conventional weapons, if those weapons are supplied by a nuclear power.
I'm sure those nukes are totally real and not cardboard cutouts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 26, 2024, 01:21:12 am »

Once again Putin fails to obey rules one and two of actually looking like a competent dictator:
1. Do not threaten to nuke a country that borders yours.
2. Do not threaten to nuke territory you want to conquer.

Seeing as that entails the wonderful combination of being in easy reach of the fallout AND threatening to glass real estate that the kremlin has no doubt already planned to build new dachas for their oligarchs on, it only serves to make him look like a clown.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 26, 2024, 02:13:43 am »

The reason they are bombing artillery depots is that a small drone can explode and do a truly massive amount of damage.
Hitting a big ammo/fuel costs a few drones, but costs Russia a ton of money and supplies. Very good investment and return for Ukraine.

Putin's mansions certainly would have their own air defenses to counter your drones. Even if they did work all you would be doing is hitting Putin's mansion with a drone that probably explodes no more then a single random room. Costs russia a few thousand for some carpenters to patch up the room, and wastes a bunch of drones for ukraine on the AA defenses. Very bad investment and return for ukraine.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 26, 2024, 03:27:37 am »

Seeing reports that the US has announced a new aid package that includes the AGM-154A JSOW. This is a high glide bomb with a range of up to 130 kilometers if released at high altitude, and carries 145 bomblets that are twice the size of those released by ATACMS. The MLU program which was fitted to the now-Ukrainian F-16s postdates the introduction of this weapon, so it is unlikely that they require modification to carry it. Each plane could probably carry four of them.

This is potentially a very big deal - this weapon is practically tailor-made to dig entrenched troops out of fortifications or to shatter large-scale assaults, and the main use of it in US service has been as a sledgehammer to smash air defense. These are extremely valuable capabilities. Most importantly, this is an air-launched weapon from the country who's war plan involves "the sky is made of bombs!" as a core strategy. There are likely to be a great many in inventory.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 26, 2024, 07:03:00 am »

We're still doing the game changer thing? They need more basic hardware to equip their brigades with, not another wunderwaffe for the six or so operational planes they have.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 26, 2024, 10:45:56 am »

They're also getting a bunch of regular equipment. New weapons that expand capabilities are extremely important.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 26, 2024, 11:43:47 am »

Yeah, we need either A) A lot of very basic stuff like artillery shells, cars, FPV\quadrocopter drones or B) Stuff that can hit DEEP and permission to use that stuff on strategic targets.

Cool expensive precise weapons are certainly useful but don't change that much.

. Most importantly, this is an air-launched weapon from the country who's war plan involves "the sky is made of bombs!" as a core strategy
Not... really... USA was that some time ago. Nowadays the core strategy of the US is - all our enemies are inferior so we'll use a limited number of very expensive precise munitions to limit collateral damage.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 28, 2024, 10:44:54 pm »

They're also getting a bunch of regular equipment. New weapons that expand capabilities are extremely important.
It's easier to give Ukraine the basic shells they need if the American public is distracted by the Wonder Weapons.

There is also a bit of RealPolitik going on.  By arming Ukraine with more sophisticated and advanced equipment, it normalizes the sending of more mundane equipment.

"Why are we arguing about sending Ukraine more shells when we sent them our advanced air launched weapon system last month?"

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 29, 2024, 09:26:39 am »

And, as ever, it works as a field test for new equipment against a more traditional military than the terrorists the US has been fighting the past two decades.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 29, 2024, 09:55:22 am »

And, as ever, it works as a field test for new equipment against a more traditional military than the terrorists the US has been fighting the past two decades.

That is a double edged sword though. It also provides said traditional enemy with combat experience against the new equipment.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 29, 2024, 11:37:30 am »

That is a double edged sword though. It also provides said traditional enemy with combat experience against the new equipment.
I don't think it matters. Russia's sacrificing their economy to try to get enough artillery on the front. They're being left them out of what is liable to be a critical time for an industrial boom, as over the next few years we'll see increasing experiments in industrial automation. There's no time for Russia to play catch up while trying to rebuild the USSR's military capability.

China's interested in that data, sure, but that doesn't matter, since the planet wouldn't survive a shooting war with China regardless.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 29, 2024, 02:04:46 pm »

Russia is not sacrificing its economy. They are doing fine and keep growing. And will keep doing fine as long as oil flows.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 29, 2024, 02:55:56 pm »

Russia is not sacrificing its economy. They are doing fine and keep growing. And will keep doing fine as long as oil flows.

This is patently untrue. They keep posting mostly positive claims but the evidence suggests that, while sanctions and war expenditures are not crushing them to pieces as fast as we all want, the Russian economy is not doing so hot and is likely to get worse and worse if things continue (or get better for Ukraine). They're certainly, for instance, selling their oil at a lot lower price than they want to be.

See Perun's recent video on the Russian war economy for a pretty well-researched account that lays out the facts.

China's interested in that data, sure, but that doesn't matter, since the planet wouldn't survive a shooting war with China regardless.
I mean, the planet's survived a shooting war with Russia in it for a few years now so frankly I'm not sure what you mean, unless you believe that China could take on the entire world with conventional forces? China is not more likely than Russia to start a nuclear war - for all their many faults the Chinese government at least projects a sense of pragmatism and probably understands that turning cities into dust and ash does not help their prospects.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159