Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 208995 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2340 on: September 23, 2024, 04:26:20 am »

I keep hoping they will find some way to drone-bomb one of Putin's palace-resorts. Most Russian media and citizens would prefer that to hearing soldiers were killed, etc.

It seems like a useless waste of resources.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 23, 2024, 11:04:13 am »

An interesting Peter Zeihan youtube vid, talking about how Ukraine has been and will be going after the Russian rail network using Ukrainian home-grown weapons, and why it will be effective; it also talks about the recent ammo depot attacks.

@Strongpoint
Nothing in war is less than a tremendous waste of resources... And the benefit would be that all of the Russian citizens would have a chance to have a private laugh at Putin's expense. Most older Russians have no toys and are to some degree, jealous of Putin's toys.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 23, 2024, 12:13:34 pm »

Nothing in war is less than a tremendous waste of resources... And the benefit would be that all of the Russian citizens would have a chance to have a private laugh at Putin's expense. Most older Russians have no toys and are to some degree, jealous of Putin's toys.

Most Russian citizens will either don't care or be insulted that their Tzar is humiliated. But let's say you are right. How can private laughs help Ukraine to win the war? How can it change Russia for the better?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 23, 2024, 12:50:39 pm »

Depends on how many oligarchs are in the building at the time.  :P
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 23, 2024, 09:34:48 pm »

Interesting Inside Russia report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnxts8aYNCI
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 24, 2024, 03:38:52 am »

Just watched the first 5 minutes or so then skimmed the transcripts super fast, but it just looks like its a dude talking for a hour and twenty minutes without any sources or media?
He doesn't seem that reliable honestly, and to me it seems like there is a very distinct sense of bias/lack of nuance in everything he says.

Is there anything particularly noteworthy in the video, or sections that you think are particularly worth watching?
---
Honestly I've been super spoiled by Perun who has an absurd number of sources and backs up his detailed analyseses and basically everything he says with hard facts.
If you want to know how the war is going, or stuff like the current state of the russian economy then he's very much worth a watch.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 24, 2024, 06:44:03 am »

Inside Russia is an independant media channel that used to be based inside Russia, but was recently declared a extremist organisation because it receives funding from outside of Russia, and had to flee the country and are based in (I think) the UK now.

At the end he talks about a new law passed only days ago in Russia. Starting a rebellion against the government will now be punishable by life imprisonment. Governors in Russia have all started organising their own militia's (they are allowed to do that) but now the Kremlin is starting to fear them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 06:46:22 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 24, 2024, 08:16:16 am »

Japan opened fire with tracer rounds on a Russian military airplane violating Japanese airspace, after several warnings to leave led to no response at all.

The JSDF will only ever open fire in self defense. According to the JSDF, the Russian bomber had opened it's bomb hatches, and they had no choice but to open fire. It were just warning rounds though, they did not actually hit or intend to hit.

The Japanese government issued a formal protest to Moscow.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 08:23:39 am by martinuzz »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 24, 2024, 09:09:32 am »

Starting a rebellion against the government will now be punishable by life imprisonment.

Not going to lie, I'm shocked this wasn't already the case.  Or I'd have expected it to be considered treason punishable by death.

I'd expect open rebellion against the government to be considered treason almost anywhere, and even in the west that's frequently punishable by death, right?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 24, 2024, 09:21:06 am »

I'd expect open rebellion against the government to be considered treason almost anywhere, and even in the west that's frequently punishable by death, right?
* gestures at the current republican presidential candidate, shrugs

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 24, 2024, 09:33:51 am »

Oh, sure.  Not saying it's frequently prosecuted even against normal citizens, much less rich or famous people, but I'm just surprised Russia didn't have a more draconian law already on the books about it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 24, 2024, 09:44:00 am »

Starting a rebellion against the government will now be punishable by life imprisonment.

Not going to lie, I'm shocked this wasn't already the case.  Or I'd have expected it to be considered treason punishable by death.

You cannot be part of the EU if you have a death penalty. I am not even sure Russia has a death penalty, I don't think they do. Life imprisonment even almost never happens in Russia. A serial killer cannibal got 25 years (until he was pardoned after serving (dinner?) in Ukraine). Ofcourse, 10 years prison in Russia can often mean a death sentence in practice though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 09:45:55 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 25, 2024, 02:52:11 pm »

Putin made some more threats in a Russian security council meeting today.

He says he will use nuclear weapons when Russia is attacked by conventional weapons, if those weapons are supplied by a nuclear power.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 25, 2024, 03:45:19 pm »

Putin made some more threats in a Russian security council meeting today.

He says he will use nuclear weapons when Russia is attacked by conventional weapons, if those weapons are supplied by a nuclear power.

*yawns*

My opinion on what will happen if NATO launches a full conventional attack on Russia tomorrow

1) WE ARE LAUNCHING NUKES NOW!!
2) Seriously, Stop bombing us or we'll launch nukes
3) Common, we mean it
4) Please, be reasonable. Save the planet.
5) Here is a tied-up Putin for Hague.

Sadly, no one will test that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 25, 2024, 09:03:29 pm »

"if those weapons are supplied by a nuclear power"

It's already happened. Western-supplied artillery and air power have already been used on Russian soil, even before the Kursk offensive began. Somehow I don't hear air raid sirens yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159