Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 108648 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2130 on: June 01, 2024, 03:36:34 pm »

I dunno. The bedrock of China's economy seems to be deception. It's all about presenting a strong face to the world and its own citizens, and they cut a lot of corners to do that. It's why you find out things like farmers spray painting their fields green to look healthy in fly overs, or spray painting their pigs black because they're a more desirable breed. Recycling their cooking oil from communal waste disposal while charging high prices for quality cuisine. If the ethical backbone of your economy operates like that, the same mentality likely exists in the more advanced sectors of the economy too.

While he has been criticized as existing solely to bash China, I've found serpentza's channel on Youtube pretty informative. No country or populace is all good or all bad....but China definitely seems to say one thing and be another pretty regularly where you go beyond what they choose to show.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 01, 2024, 03:57:30 pm »

I dunno. The bedrock of China's economy seems to be deception. It's all about presenting a strong face to the world and its own citizens, and they cut a lot of corners to do that. It's why you find out things like farmers spray painting their fields green to look healthy in fly overs, or spray painting their pigs black because they're a more desirable breed. Recycling their cooking oil from communal waste disposal while charging high prices for quality cuisine. If the ethical backbone of your economy operates like that, the same mentality likely exists in the more advanced sectors of the economy too.

While he has been criticized as existing solely to bash China, I've found serpentza's channel on Youtube pretty informative. No country or populace is all good or all bad....but China definitely seems to say one thing and be another pretty regularly where you go beyond what they choose to show.
The thing is, that's also part of what China wants to show the West. It's not like they don't know we see that.

It is absolutely true that China, like Russia, is endemically culturally corrupt to a degree that boggles westerners. The important takeaway from, in fact, this entire war is that that doesn't stop them from being a huge problem.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 02, 2024, 03:54:03 am »

You might talk about the Great Leap Forward Movement, which is considered to be a mistake by the official. I still remember the ridiculous comics and slogans in history class, such as "母猪赛大象'' (the female pig is as large as an elephant). We might not paint the fields green, but the villagers will gather corps together in one field to create the illusion of a bumper harvest to deceive officials .Recycling oil from the waste is the"地沟油''problem in Chinese,which is an old problem for more tha 10 years ago, food problems are always the heated topic in China , but the up-to-date one is the 'duck neck or the mouse head problem', which might be even more interesting and ironical than you could imagine, however we are always trying to improve food safety, at least I have confidence in my government.

China's official speech neutral to the war in Ukraine, the government might help Russia, but in my opinion, China may want to get an example to prejudge the chance of getting Taiwan island back.
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 02, 2024, 08:24:52 am »

I honestly think that, rhetoric aside, the most important asset of Taiwan would not survive an invasion, and the Chinese goverment knows it, so the posturing is more about getting concessions (perhaps up to a takeover) without actually engaging in open warfare
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 02, 2024, 11:26:04 am »

Yeah, I'd argue that China is unlikely to invade Taiwan, and much more likely to buy it.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 02, 2024, 11:33:37 am »

无论如何,我都希望我们政府能够和平解决台湾问题,前几天的军事演习看上去更像是在吓唬台湾当局。如果真的爆发战争,那么整个国家都会被拖入战争中无法脱身,人民的生活会像俄罗斯人和乌克兰人一样困苦不堪。
Sorry for using Chinese, I’m going to sleep, tomorrow l will give a presentation in front of my class. Good night!
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 02, 2024, 12:19:22 pm »

@Maximum Spin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@nenjin
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 02, 2024, 06:26:48 pm »

Russia-China gas pipeline deal stalls over Beijing’s price demands (Financial Times)

I hope Russians love their status of a resource colony that is forced to sell their stuff for cheap.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 20, 2024, 08:38:57 pm »

Another 200 IQ move from Russia: They have signed a defensive pact with North Korea.

South Korea suddenly has decided they might be willing to sell some of their massive arsenal of older US armaments to Ukraine.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 23, 2024, 09:57:39 am »

1) Go on a summer vacation to Crimea, a literal war zone
2) Once there, go to a beach that is ~2km away from an active military air base
3) Ignore the air defense warning and keep relaxing on the beach
4) Have a missile that targets the aforementioned base shot down above your head
5) Get explosive falling debris on your head ending dead, injured, or, if you are lucky enough, full of bright memories
6) Be used in Russian propaganda as an innocent victim of Ukrainian fascists

What do you know about extreme vacations?
I only pity children who got idiot parents.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 24, 2024, 01:02:59 pm »

From PBS interview, the US is clarifying Ukraine can use US weapons within Russia anywhere Russia is coming over the border. A small step up from just being able to use the weapons cross-border near Kharkiv.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 24, 2024, 01:53:13 pm »

In Dagestan, gunman have assaulted an othodox church and a synagogue, and a police station, killing at least 20 and injuring dozens.
One of the dead is a 66-year old priest and local celebrity. All guards were killed, and most of the other dead are police officers.
The attacks started sunday evening in Russia's oldest city, Derbent, at a church and synagogue, and an hour later at the police station in the regional capitol Machatsjkala.
According to the authorities, all 5 attackers have been killed. The head of the republic, Sergej Melikov, has announced a manhunt that will last until all members of all sleeper cells, 'which have undoubtedly been aided by foreign nations' have been found.

The attack has not been claimed yet, but internet accounts loyal to IS have congratulated their brothers in the Kaukasus for showing that they are still strong and capable.
Two of the killed assailants were the sons of a local government offical of the Kremlin party United Russia. Their father, Magomed Omarov, has resigned and has been thrown out of the Kremlin party.

The head of the FSB has decided that there will be multiple large scale anti terrorist operations in Dagestan.
Expect ethnic cleansing of salafists.

I guess that's what you get when you recruit, train and arm muslim fanatics to fight in Ukraine. They come home well trained veterans, and can kill a lot of police before being taken out.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 02:05:51 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: June 24, 2024, 07:24:16 pm »

Wait, so these mass murderers were originally fighting for the Russians against Ukraine? Well, I guess that's the consequence of scraping the bottom of the barrel to acquire manpower. Perhaps its a sign that Russia is reaching a soft limit on how many men they can send to the meatgrinder before destabilizing the nation, but I'm not holding out too much hope until more stories come out.

Our enemy is the Russian army and government, not their civilians. There is nothing to cheer for here.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 24, 2024, 07:53:24 pm »

I don't know but that would not be very surprising, considering that compared to most of the rest of Russia, percentually a lot of recruits are from the Dagestan region (lots of poverty).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144