Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 160

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 214636 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2040 on: March 23, 2024, 02:19:55 am »

First time in a while that I've heard of ISIS doing something, wonder why they went after that music thing of all things.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: March 23, 2024, 02:36:09 am »

I remember how Russians were celebrating when Americans left Afghanistan and I was facepalming understanding that it means that Islamism will spread into "stans" of Central Asia and Muslim regions of Russia. This attack looks like the first visible result of that.

And yep I believe that it is a genuine Islamist attack, it is their style.

Interesting piece of information: On March 9 (a day after the American warning) there was a concert of a Russian neo-nazi patriotic singer Shaman at the same venue.  I think that was the original target but terrorists were spooked and delayed it. A pity... It would be a far less random group of civilians there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:28:39 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 23, 2024, 03:26:30 am »

I remember how Russians were celebrating when Americans left Afghanistan and I was facepalming understanding that it means that Islamism will spread into "stans" of Central Asia and Muslim regions of Russia. This attack looks like the first visible result of that.

The Taliban hates ISIS though. They're genuinely at each other's throats.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 23, 2024, 03:32:09 am »

The Taliban hates ISIS though. They're genuinely at each other's throats.

Doesn't matter. There is no American presence to counter both.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2044 on: March 23, 2024, 05:16:10 am »

First time in a while that I've heard of ISIS doing something, wonder why they went after that music thing of all things.
According to them, they targetted specifically a christian concert. Tho music is forbidden in the Haddith if I remember my religious classes correctly, this specific event is simply broadly religiously motivated.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 23, 2024, 05:23:25 am »

Yay! Everyone is arrested! Tajik terrorists tried to reach the Russian-Ukrainian border to flee to their accomplices from Ukrainian intelligence! Case is solved!!! FSB are super professionals!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2046 on: March 23, 2024, 07:41:19 am »

They also completely changed faces and clothes. How did the FSB recognized those shapeshifting men, this is a miracle of a semi religious nature.
Everyone seem to be involved, the SBU, the Mossad, the CIA. The pay of a terrorist : about $5k. So $20K total, which puts the life of a russian to about $100 each.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 23, 2024, 08:10:52 am »

Just the other day, a radio version of Fahrenheit 451 was repeated over here. Spoiler ( f you just happened to perhaps just to read it/etc yourself, for the first time), but at one point our hero manages to get away from the 'tracking dog' ...thing..., which is being live-broadcast chasing down its quarry as a sop to the masses who are still under the memetic yoke of the authorities and their bread-and-circuses.

So it (with its apparently 'infallible' tracking-and-identification ability) now goes and kills an unsuspecting completely unrelated guy out for a stroll (not a common activity[1], so probably not at all a big loss to the people in power[2]), thus sating the masses via this world's bread-and-circuses ideology.

((Ages since I read the book, and even longer since I saw the film of it, so not quite sure what maybe got abridged out, in this version, or changed away for the cinema. They didn't/couldn't do the 'dog' in the 1960s movie, did they? Probably something more filmable for the time.))

Anyway, due to timing alone, it struck me as a possibly apt parable here (((even before Cathar's own comment, just now)))... (Hopefully, for many, the rest of the plot isn't quite so mirroring of this modern scenario, with a hefty dose of bittersweet downer-ending.)

[1] When all 'right-minded people' (who aren't roving gangs of entitled adolescents, just as likely to kill anyone they don't like the look of) could be sitting in front of/within their wall-sized TVs watching this, the sanctioned entertainments or the news of the third(?) nuclear-armed war being on the brink.

[2] Might even have already been "on a watch list", and chose a bad time to be thinking independently? Hard to know exactly how hyper-competant the invisible regime might be, given their various apparent errors in dealing with the protagonist's under-the-heel/face-turn...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:28 am »

Oh... They cut off the ear of a suspect during an interrogation and posted it in telegram. Russian law enforcement are so... hmm... professional.

If someone would give me a choice between being captured by ISIS with them knowing what I think about their religion and being captured by a random Russian, I would choose ISIS, death will be far less unpleasant

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 23, 2024, 12:58:42 pm »

The United States has called on Kyiv to stop attacks on Russian oil refineries.

The reason - this could lead to an increase in oil prices worldwide, according to sources cited by the Financial Times.

According to one official, the White House is increasingly disappointed by the "brazen attacks" of Ukrainian drones on Russian oil facilities.

Mwuhahahahaha.

I read this as - You can't wage an effective war against your genocidal enemies because gas prices may stop Biden from winning elections.

Meanwhile, ~100 attacked our energy infrastructure this morning. Hello rolling blackouts... I got used to life without you.

Going back to this, the Ukrainian government has explicitly called this out as false.

Mykhailo Podolyak, adviser to the office of Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, said the government has not received calls from the United States asking Ukraine to halt attacks on Russian energy infrastructure.

Podolyak’s comments, forwarded to POLITICO by the office of Ukraine Energy Minister German Galushchenko, were in contrast to earlier reports by the Financial Times that the U.S. had urged the Eastern European nation to refrain from attacks on major energy infrastructure for fear of sending oil prices skyrocketing and prompting retaliation from the Kremlin.

Podolyak in comments first published by RBC-Ukraine called the report of U.S. criticism of the attacks “fake information” and said “Ukraine will destroy fuel infrastructure” in Russia.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: March 24, 2024, 12:34:54 pm »

Trying to intimidate ISIS by posting literal torture of arrested suspects online is a bold strategy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: March 24, 2024, 07:46:54 pm »

Trying to intimidate ISIS by posting literal torture of arrested suspects online is a bold strategy.
I would call it lame. ISIS is probably laughing at the FSB.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: March 25, 2024, 06:51:27 am »

They aren't trying to intimidate ISIS. They are sending a message to the Russian people.
They are saying "look how tough we are on terrorists, you can trust us, we will keep you safe no matter what it takes". (An especially important point to note given their earlier intelligence failures).
To those that oppose the current regime they are saying "Look at what we will do to you if you attack the goverment, its better to stay safe and not do anything against us".
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2054 on: March 25, 2024, 06:51:45 am »

I am reasonably sure they didn't catch the actual terrorists. They just picked some muslims from their prisons and dressed them up.
Torture isn't meant for ISIS, it's a dog and pony show for the domestic population in any case
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 160