Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 102745 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #2025 on: March 22, 2024, 02:27:07 pm »

Knowing Russians I am surprised that the hall isn't destroyed with artillery fire yet.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2026 on: March 22, 2024, 02:30:55 pm »

Russian interventions are way more brutal than American interventions. At least SWAT teams try to save civilians instead of, for instance, rolling tanks on them
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 02:53:13 pm by Cathar »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 22, 2024, 03:06:13 pm »

Like I said. Surprised at the lack of Russian brutality in their response, unsurprised that their ineptitude shows once again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2028 on: March 22, 2024, 04:27:03 pm »

ISIS revendicates the special theater operation. It was the most likely culprit from the get-go

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 22, 2024, 04:28:10 pm »

How about the way it usually is in the US, which is that some random guy just decided to do that because fuck the world?
Two 'lone wolves' going Почтовый?

(Yes, I did variations on the theme, always reverse-translating to see what it might or might not actually be. My favourite unused one was "отправляюсь по почте". ;-p)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 22, 2024, 04:37:22 pm »

Tbh my bet is that its a false flag. Hence why they didnt try very hard to chase the perpetrators. They'll produce some conveniently dead Ukrainian afterwards to take the blame
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 22, 2024, 04:51:18 pm »

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility.

There's a real possibility that this is in fact a genuine terrorist attack - a false-flag would be much more likely to use bombs, and Russia has a number of groups that might be using the Ukraine war as a "hey, the military's occupied, time to start our liberation campaign" thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 22, 2024, 05:10:38 pm »

If it was targeting the site of a rock concert... The victims are not likely to be Putin's core demographic (though that's without checking if the act(s) that were showing were themselves politically-inclined, either way).

There's a number of reasons to attack such a venue (moralistic religious fundementalists, common street-gang violence against another street-gang's social "territory", common-or-garden 'protection racket'/corrupt authorities that had been faced with a refusal to comply and need to send a message, ...), but I can't immediately see this having .ue hands behind it.

(Unless it is a Nationalist-inclined line-up, once we know who was supposed to be performing/what audience it might have had.)

PPE:...oh, look, ninjaed. So "moralistic fundementalists" indeed seems likely. Unless that was just an opportune claim to try to sound particularly relevent.

You'd imagine a False Flag would have inclined towards not overtly using "not our kind of people" (obviously not targeting a load of useful supporters, but not trying to avoid them completely). But I just may not have the right sort of bluff/double-bluff/triple-bluff psychology necessary in arranging such things to send the 'right' sort of message in the 'best' and most 'believable' sort of way.

But, regardless, it'll probably soon be spun in Russian media to reinforce the 'party' message, whether or not anybody even had an inkling of it about to happen (and let it do so, passively or actively).

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2033 on: March 22, 2024, 05:23:46 pm »

Apparently USA are saying ISIS claiming it backs up the information they passed on, so seems like they're more likely.

Which would suggest if it is a false-flag, it's an "allow it to happen" type rather than a "orchestrate it" type. If not...well, cock-up over conspiracy and all that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:41:47 pm by MorleyDev »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 22, 2024, 05:44:51 pm »

The performers look unlikely to be pro-Ukraine (now that somewhere told me who they were, I thought I might as well check that), but not enough info there, currently, to know if they'd be typically anti-...

They weren't caught up in the action, but that could just be good luck, good timing and/or efficient stage-management reacting as best they could once the situation started. I doubt there'll be good reason to believe anything more contrived, in that regard (even if it is, that'll be covered by Convenient Excuses 101, anyway).

But I'm stopping from doom-scrolling (before I actually start, apart from satisfying a little bit of morbid curiosity to answer my own questions). I can't really helpfully add much, without making it sound like I'm trying to work out where the plot of a thriller is going to go, ahead of its actual reveals... If there's more to be known, it'll become known without my 'guess the plot-twist' contributions, all while real people (and/or their relatives) find themself dealing with the aftermath

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 22, 2024, 06:33:14 pm »

no matter how horrible and satanic the Russian invasion of Ukraine is...
This terrorist attack on a music venue is barbaric and unforgivable.

I mean.. It could have been Kitty or one of our other Russian forumites that were killed there just because they went to a music venue.

Strikes against Russia, fine. But strike military and economical targets, not music venues.

EDIT: the same ofcourse goes the other way around. Fuck you Russians for attacking Ukrainian civilian places.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:58:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2036 on: March 22, 2024, 07:27:24 pm »

By how the kremlin agit-prop is reacting, this is likely not a false flag. They seem genuinly angry. A whole step up from their behavior when Prigozhin and Utkin were killed, a much more significant event.
Just because false flag exist and happen, doesn't mean every extraordinary events are false flags. Russia is still engaged in Syria against ISIS.

100-200 casualties is about 20% of the daily russian losses at the front. It's nothing. But since this time, it is not the poor rural siberian and far easterners, who live in shacks and shit in a outhouse who do the dying, but the sons of the white upper middle class of moscow, the class that goes to concerts, hot tears are starting to flow on the internet.
"What, you mean MY son could get killed in an event corellated to the war I voted for ? I didn't bargain for that !"

Like said Guillemin, "having people killed, that doesn't teach you to die."

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 22, 2024, 08:02:12 pm »

...interesting... news to wake up to.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 22, 2024, 08:47:10 pm »

Russian interventions are way more brutal than American interventions. At least SWAT teams try to save civilians instead of, for instance, rolling tanks on them
Makes a perverse kind of sense. Nobody's going to try taking hostages if it's proven repeatedly that the country doesn't care.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2039 on: March 22, 2024, 10:01:21 pm »

Makes a perverse kind of sense. Nobody's going to try taking hostages if it's proven repeatedly that the country doesn't care.

Not sure... you replace an opportunity for negociation with outright ultraviolence, as the terror groups adapt to your tactics.
Now they are just opening fire on the crowd and leaving in the confusion, and I'm not sure "at least they didn't take any hostage" is any consolation.
Turns ou doing away with all the norms of civil society and human rights in favor of police expedience do not produce the secure and orderly society it is meant to.

But hey you want to read something funny
The Kremlin deleted their message accusing the US to "outright blackmail" them, when they warned them of an imminent terror threat.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 143