Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 213341 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1830 on: February 16, 2024, 05:33:45 pm »

I can understand the impulse to want to be there where you are concerned about, in the middle of the fray, fighting.

Rest in peace. A brave and determined man.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 16, 2024, 05:59:46 pm »

F

Honestly he had some wacky ass beliefs.
That's an understatement for sure.

I feel like you and I are the only people in the thread who know that...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 16, 2024, 06:30:02 pm »

F

No, actually, you are not the only ones.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 16, 2024, 07:35:43 pm »

Well, he did decide to speak poorly about Putin from within Russia... that is wacky.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 16, 2024, 08:25:59 pm »

F

I didn't say more because I didn't want to start a fight.

But he was very racist against Central Asians. He said he would deport them from Moscow, ffs. And he basically would do nothing about the oligarchs.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 16, 2024, 08:28:04 pm »

But he was very racist against Central Asians. He said he would deport them from Moscow, ffs. And he basically would do nothing about the oligarchs.
In the West we are pretty much not told any of that in the media. People generally only know that he opposed Putin, so he must be great - rarely does anyone think to ask "from which direction?"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 16, 2024, 11:34:47 pm »

Navalny is dead. Murdered by the Russian nazi government.

Russian, rise against. now is the time. Go to the streets. Protest. Yes, some of you will be killed and tortured. But don't fear. You need to take arms against your nazi Putinist oppressors. Better dead than a cog in the wheel of evil.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 16, 2024, 11:50:54 pm »

Most of Ukrainian forces in Avdiivka broke through partial encirclement and retreated from the town this night. Casualties are high (not in official information...) and we lost one of the most fortified strongholds we ever had.

The question now is what will be the next Russian focus.

As for Navalny - enemies of bad guys, even brave martyrs, aren't always good guys. Also, his decision to return to Russia in 2021 was idiotic. He could achieve so much from abroad.

martinuzz, nah, Russian opposition calls for another method of resistance. Come to the presidential "elections" legitimizing them and write in Navalny's name.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:55:10 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 17, 2024, 12:14:07 am »

I won't affect anything from here in Siberia even if I protested, so once I finish my education I'm leaving to Germany or something. If the Russian people somehow decide to rise up, cool. I'll cheer on them from the sidelines. But above all else, I want to save my own hide by now.

I gave up what little resistance activities I was doing and am mostly keeping a low profile. Have been for months.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:17:55 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 17, 2024, 12:25:17 am »

I cannot say you are wrong. If you do move to Europe, there will be folks hating Russians. But there will be just as many or hopefully more folks understanding your decision to leave, and respecting that.
I will, even though sometimes I might sound harsh and call for uprising.
I am still aware that not all people are born to be warriors, and I guess that's a good thing.
Love respect.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 17, 2024, 12:27:28 am »

"from which direction?"
Have you seen his debate with Girkin from 2017? To me it encapsulates the difference between the current Russia and his idea of the same. He was no saint, but his Russia would be a massive improvement over what we have.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1841 on: February 17, 2024, 12:45:16 am »

F

He also supported the annexion of Crimea. Putin murdering his opponents is absolutely appaling but Navalny is not a man I'd cheer.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 17, 2024, 01:01:55 am »

I cannot say you are wrong. If you do move to Europe, there will be folks hating Russians. But there will be just as many or hopefully more folks understanding your decision to leave, and respecting that.
I will, even though sometimes I might sound harsh and call for uprising.
I am still aware that not all people are born to be warriors, and I guess that's a good thing.
Love respect.
It's mostly a vocal minority from what I can tell? And it's not really the kind of people I would want to associate with regardless. I didn't choose to be born here.

"from which direction?"
Have you seen his debate with Girkin from 2017? To me it encapsulates the difference between the current Russia and his idea of the same. He was no saint, but his Russia would be a massive improvement over what we have.
I mean yeah Navalny would be better than Putin but in the same sense being punched is better than being strangled. If I could press a button to make one of his underlings who share his ideology to come into power instantly, I would, but it's far from my ideal either.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 17, 2024, 01:13:50 am »

It's mostly a vocal minority from what I can tell?
I hope so. It used to be. Society is crazy polarized. Vocal minorities have been turning into vocal not-so minorities recently in the Western world, with populist politicians, and populist influencers giving them a larger stage than they should have, and people buying their shit as if it tasted like candy.
Still shocked about our recent election results over here.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 17, 2024, 02:06:25 am »

"from which direction?"

If Navalny was a president, Ukraine wouldn't exist anymore (or be in a much worse shape). Navalny's Russia would have a stronger less corrupt army, stronger and less corrupt economy and better relations with the West, making the war far easier for them.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 159