Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 213285 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1770 on: February 09, 2024, 12:42:36 am »

The first part of Putin's interview with Tucker is pure comedy gold in the genre of pseudohistory. I think Putin misunderstands the audience. He should have started with -  "Trump is good, woke is bad. Russia is fighting to liberate Ukraine from woke neo-nazi." not bore them with Rurik and stuff.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 09, 2024, 02:53:01 am »

Some relevant sociology

Note how "popular" Zelensky was just before the war. He is slowly falling back there.
62% is not that bad considering the situation. It is easy to blame the leader when the future is uncertain, but there are also Ukrainian politicians and businessmen who see Zelensky as a direct competitor, and there are pro-Russian people and pro-Russian funding... These will all be sources of discontent for Ukraine in that next election. This is why I see Zaluzhny as a good political competitor for Zelensky, the Ukrainians would be getting someone who is fighting for them either way.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 09, 2024, 03:29:06 am »

62% is fine but it is going down and this decision to dismiss Zaluzhny will cost a lot. New mobilization law will further diminish his popularity among cowards and egoists freedom-loving individuals who don't want to be "drafted as slaves". A lack of meaningful victories on the front, or worse, a significant defeat won't be good news.

Also, note that normal political life is on pause here and attacks on Zelensky are way less severe than they could have been. Nationalists/right centrists are in a "you don't criticize your president during a war" mode and/or too busy fighting/volunteering. Pro-Russians have minimal presence in the media hoping to wait the war out and never go beyond vague "we need peace" statements. Both will change in the case of elections.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 09, 2024, 04:45:01 am »

The first part of Putin's interview with Tucker is pure comedy gold in the genre of pseudohistory. I think Putin misunderstands the audience. He should have started with -  "Trump is good, woke is bad. Russia is fighting to liberate Ukraine from woke neo-nazi." not bore them with Rurik and stuff.
Not as many things to mock from my perspective as I wished, alas. Still a lot.

I find it very funny how I am exactly what the far-right in both countries complains about when they talk about "the woke mob". Yes, I actually want to weaken the nation. Yes, I actually want the normalization of degeneracy. Yes, I actually want to not just damage traditional values, but burn them to the ground.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 09, 2024, 09:40:28 am »

Zelensky dismissed commander-in-chief Zaluzhny who was very popular and replaced him with a guy who is quite unpopular (especially in the army) but politically loyal to Zelensky.

Freaking wonderful. Just what we need during this stage of the war.
Actually, it makes perfect sense.
Compare to the American Civil War. Playing defense was not going to achieve the Union's goals, which were reunification.

Lincoln had to go through several Generals before he found Blood & Guts Ulysses Grant. Who by the way, was sometimes hated by the troops. Ukraine needs results this year on Offense, or they're going to have to accept that Russia is keeping what they stole.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 09, 2024, 10:14:36 am »

This is what we are afraid of - an unjustified offense with no resources to do it. Offense that will cost more lives and achieve no results but weaken our army to the point of collapse. Russians have more stuff, we can't win against them in a symmetrical war.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 09, 2024, 10:35:40 am »

Yes, I actually want to not just damage traditional values, but burn them to the ground.

Surely you don't mean "all" traditional values? You know, not stealing, not lying, not abusing people, being nice to neighbors and family, self control - those are all pretty "traditional".

If you're talking about "being insular and bigoted and selfish and indulging ones desires to excess" then yes, burn those to the ground, but those I don't think have ever been values - "traditionally" those were called vices.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 09, 2024, 11:33:35 am »

I don't expect a change in military leaders will result in Ukraine beginning to make meat waves. No general is going to do that and while it is something the Russians do with their troops, it is also something the Russians want Ukrainians to believe will happen to them, because fear-leading-to-surrender is their goal.

As long as Ukraine is striking into pre-war-Russia, the occupied territories are still contested.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 09, 2024, 12:37:40 pm »

Yes, I actually want to not just damage traditional values, but burn them to the ground.

Surely you don't mean "all" traditional values? You know, not stealing, not lying, not abusing people, being nice to neighbors and family, self control - those are all pretty "traditional".

It is actually amusing how Russia, a country with a huge divorce rate, ridiculously high abortion rate and abysmal church attendance, is seen as a country that cares about traditional values by the Western far-rights...

It is as if their definition of traditional values is anti-LGBT laws and decriminalized domestic violence...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: February 09, 2024, 12:56:52 pm »

I guess that was my point - are they wanting to burn down traditional values, or Traditional Values™.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 09, 2024, 07:30:34 pm »

I don't consider these traditional values, at least in the same sense as the far-right uses that term. I don't need tradition in order to not abuse those close to me.

Our traditional values are conformity and reactionarism.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: February 09, 2024, 10:32:29 pm »

I don't consider these traditional values, at least in the same sense as the far-right uses that term. I don't need tradition in order to not abuse those close to me.

Our traditional values are conformity and reactionarism.

Folks: This is not the thread to debate "Traditional Values". Take it outside.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 10, 2024, 02:28:37 am »

We are creating the Unmanned Systems Forces as a separate branch of armed forces. I hardly understand any benefits of this. Why can't the army, navy, and airforce can't handle relevant drones or AI systems in relevant subdivisions?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 10, 2024, 03:10:10 am »

That sounds like needless over complication for little gain.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 10, 2024, 04:48:40 am »

Even the Ukrainian Army is buying into the AI hype! :P
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 159