Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 213138 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1755 on: February 08, 2024, 03:21:35 pm »

Right, which is one reason I feel like there had to be a very good reason for it, since I'm sure Zelensky is also aware of that.

I guess we'll see how it shakes out.  I also saw some rumblings about conscription coming up due to a shortage of soldiers, so this is probably going to get even more unpleasant for Ukrainians in the near future.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 08, 2024, 03:29:14 pm »

My mom always thought Zelensky was an idiot, comparing him to Trump. If she's right, perhaps this is just the result of a petty disagreement. We all saw what Trump did with his loyalty tests.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 08, 2024, 04:00:54 pm »

Note that scheduled presidential elections should have happened in November and Zelensky's term is ending in May. After that, his legitimacy will be somewhat questionable. And his ratings are going down and this decision will contribute to this a lot. I can't even begin to describe anger mixed with gloomy doom in the Ukrainian segment of social networks. 

IMO, Ukraine is heading into a serious political crisis.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 08, 2024, 04:03:46 pm »

My mom always thought Zelensky was an idiot, comparing him to Trump. If she's right, perhaps this is just the result of a petty disagreement. We all saw what Trump did with his loyalty tests.
Your mom's impression is basically consistent with mine.

... somehow that seems like a rude joke that went totally off track, but you know what I mean.

I've been following Ukrainian social media on and off for the past couple years, and while I haven't actually caught up on it recently because of doing other things, it really looks like some kind of uprising, maybe even a coup, is... not outside the realm of extreme plausibility.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 08, 2024, 05:54:48 pm »

it really looks like some kind of uprising, maybe even a coup, is... not outside the realm of extreme plausibility.

Had similar thoughts, but I didn't want to vocalize them. We are that kind of people. My worry is that a coup will either get hijacked by malevolent interests, or it will give the world the excuse it wants to cut off aid. Many people would call such a new government illegitimate.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 08, 2024, 08:18:59 pm »

Ah yes because throwing a coup is DEFINITELY going to go well in the middle of a war, it always has in history! :face_palm:

Good decisions would be highly appreciated right about now, and you would think that the powers-that-be would be encouraged by the constantly-dire situation to, y'know, make those good decisions in the interests of continuing to have a country in which they can remain the powers-that-be.

Good luck, Ukraine, you're going to need it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 08, 2024, 08:23:18 pm »

A coup feels like it would pretty much be handing Ukraine to Russia, but for once I don't think I can see a way that Russia could be behind it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 08, 2024, 08:33:11 pm »

for once I don't think I can see a way that Russia could be behind it.
For one, it could be spreading and reinforcing the meme of a coup through its social media trolls. Sowing discord is what they do.

Zaluzhny going out was long in the talks. It's hardly an out of the blue decision.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 08, 2024, 08:43:44 pm »

Isn’t Winter a pretty decent time for a change too? Not a whole lot going on?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 08, 2024, 09:42:14 pm »

Yeah, better do this when the front is basically locked down anyways than when there's a more dynamic struggle.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:53 pm »

I would think that the situation in Avdiivka makes this a bad time - about a month ago would have been much better.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 08, 2024, 10:09:46 pm »

If Zaluzhny becomes involved in politics against Zelensky, it will be a good thing. Zaluzhny has been in involved in the war against Russia since the beginning and he will not sell out Ukraine to Russia, which is exactly what any other candidate running against Zelensky is likely to do.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 08, 2024, 10:25:21 pm »

I would think that the situation in Avdiivka makes this a bad time - about a month ago would have been much better.
Fair.

If Zaluzhny becomes involved in politics against Zelensky, it will be a good thing. Zaluzhny has been in involved in the war against Russia since the beginning and he will not sell out Ukraine to Russia, which is exactly what any other candidate running against Zelensky is likely to do.
Spoiler effect not making everything worse for once...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:35 pm »

Some relevant sociology

Note how "popular" Zelensky was just before the war. He is slowly falling back there.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 08, 2024, 11:48:24 pm »

My dad also has a low opinion of Zelensky and thinks he made this decision for the wrong motivations. Though whenever I ask him for his sources he never gives me anything but vague descriptions. He has from time to time told me some somewhat plausible conspiracy theory that doesn't actually end up holding to the facts.

I sometimes wish Western allies would configure themselves more like Ukrainians are, with definite resolve in the goal but also with healthy skepticism towards government officials, who are servants of the goal and not indispensable in themselves, and with one's wits around oneself. I remember reading about how EU advisors were acquiescing to Ukrainian government officials' demands about an internationally-advised candidate selection process for a panel of judges in Ukraine because they were afraid of stepping on toes by exceeding their welcome. I hope some other representatives from Ukraine, say from NGOs, got in contact with them to tell them to step on some toes. This sort of attitude is most effective, I think.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 159