Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 212712 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1620 on: December 12, 2023, 01:04:25 pm »

Today, many Ukrainians should finally understand that during a war having two sim cards is not just a good idea but a necessity. One of our two largest mobile operators is down all day. Like DOWN, not working at all for everyone.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 13, 2023, 08:03:18 pm »

I was just wondering about that actually, but assumed that in seriousness it wouldn't get to that point.  Russian culture is very "traditional" in that regard, isn't it?  Women aren't allowed in combat positions in the Russian army, right?

I feel like it would be a turning point in public favor against the war if they tried.

Of course, they also have literally millions of people they can burn through before that would be needed so I don't think we'd see it anyway.
This is correct. If they started drafting women into combat, there would have been a shitstorm.

I think counting on a highly corrupt and lgbtphobic regime not throwing you into the meat grinder could be construed as overconfidence.
Nah they don't target LGBT people like that (yet?). I highly doubt they are even aware, anyhow. I'm not active on Russian social media.

Guys please stop worrying about me, if someone like me gets drafted it means Russia has basically lost and is "Scraping The Barrel". lmfao
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 15, 2023, 09:57:53 am »

Guys please stop worrying about me, if someone like me gets drafted it means Russia has basically lost and is "Scraping The Barrel". lmfao

Oh don't sell yourself short.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 15, 2023, 02:08:23 pm »

Forbes magazine has a large rebuke for Pro-Russian Republicans.
Also discussed Ukraine's 5th Tank Brigade.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/12/15/ukraine-has-formed-a-new-tank-brigade-and-we-finally-know-what-tanks-its-getting/?sh=12a492c3460c

Designers of Leopard 1 would be very surprised to learn that those will see action in 2023. I think it will be a reserve army used to patch holes with tactical counterattacks. In this role, they are way more useful than many may assume.  Using those for breakthroughs is suicidal.

Also, thanks Denmark. AFAIK, most of those are formerly Danish
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 15, 2023, 07:09:46 pm »

The A5 variant of the Leopard 1 is seriously lacking in armor (the designers assumed that then-new ATGM technology rendered armor obsolete and mobility was more important, which was not an uncommon theory at the time but has since been walked back), and the gun isn't as powerful as that on T-72, Abrams, Leo2, or Challenger.

It does, however, have very good mobility, fully up-to-date electronics and gun stabilization (that's the entire point of the A5 modification), and the gun is fully capable of taking out T-55s, T-62s, and at least earlier model T-72s with ease. They're likely to be a lot more useful than you might think.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 18, 2023, 06:37:41 am »

https://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=1335&page=1

Some Ukrainian sociology on trust in social institutions. We do need to find a way to reelect the parliament somehow, war isn't going anywhere and those incompetent and corrupt Fs need to go, they seriously harm the fabric of Ukrainian internal stability.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 19, 2023, 11:26:07 am »

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/czech-republic-raised-funds-for-rpg-75m-grenade-launchers-for-ukraine/

Such relatively unimportant news brings a smile to my face. Despite all the political games in the world, we do have many good people on our side.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 20, 2023, 04:00:35 am »

I haven't seen any maps posted recently and was wondering what's going on with the front line.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1629 on: December 20, 2023, 07:08:45 am »

I haven't seen any maps posted recently and was wondering what's going on with the front line.
Ongoing meatgrinder in Avdiivka as Putin wants to capture the town before the totally-legit-electionTM that he is "considering" participating to. 1k vatniki are made into sunflower fertilizer per day as they try to storm the same railway over and over.

The amount of meat wasted during the battle of Avdiivka is the worst of the war so far, and this includes the battle of Hostomel airport and Vughledar armored assault.

In one hand, their officers stopped bitching about not having missiles since Prigozhin became Prigozhout, in the other hand, they still don't have missiles, so we're back at WWI level of attriction.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:13:56 am by Cathar »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 20, 2023, 09:01:47 pm »

This article https://www.newsweek.com/avdiivka-map-russian-advances-quarry-ukraine-holds-coke-plant-1854150 contains a recent map.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 20, 2023, 10:33:32 pm »

You know what I immediately thought was "Theyre defending a coca cola plant?" but apparently its an industrial coke plant. Must be easy to fortify?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 21, 2023, 12:21:01 am »

Or one huge Erythroxylum...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 21, 2023, 01:30:27 am »

The df nerd in me is worried about the flammability
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 21, 2023, 01:46:44 am »

If Russia does take Avdiivka, the Russian propaganda will only talk about the importance of the town and the Ukrainians will only talk about how many Russians died there.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 159