Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103219 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1590 on: November 27, 2023, 10:31:03 am »

Meanwhile, for the past two weeks, Ukrainian-Polish border is more or less blockaded by Polish haulers with no trucks allowed to go in or out.

Reason? They dislike the competition from Ukrainian truckers who outcompete them after this treaty was signed. 

Not only this blockade has a predictable effect on our barely alive economy, but militarily significant cargo like FPV drones or winter clothing is also stuck. Also, all those trucks are in huge jam and serve as a really juicy target for Russian ballistic missiles, should they decide to strike.

Looks like Poland is now reasonably confident that Russia won't get to their border anyway so hurting our war effort for their benefit is fine.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 27, 2023, 10:50:03 am »

The truckers are blockading the border crossings because they think they've been thrown under the bus by government policies favouring the Ukrainian cause. So unless you think the truckers represent the entirety of Poland or that they are protesting on behest of the government, what you said makes no sense.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 27, 2023, 09:13:04 pm »

The truckers are blockading the border crossings because they think they've been thrown under the bus by government policies favouring the Ukrainian cause. So unless you think the truckers represent the entirety of Poland or that they are protesting on behest of the government, what you said makes no sense.

I think that the government has ways to deal with such protests if it really wants to (and I think that the next one, when it will be finally allowed to form, will likely do exactly that).

I also think that counter-protests could at least try to oppose that but I haven't heard about such attempts.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 28, 2023, 05:24:11 am »

You're implying policy change towards the war where there's no indication of any such shift from either the stepping down or the upcoming establishment.
There have been protests before where local interests were threatened, as with the Ukrainian grain (which was similarly 'outcompeting' ours). This is normal. You can't contrast protecting one's own interests with support for the war effort. They're not in opposition.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 28, 2023, 08:44:09 am »

I dunno, I think that if similar protests happened somewhere in the autumn of 2022, the reaction of the Polish government and society would be different. But it is an opinion that is hard to impossible to prove so I won't argue.

______

Back to the news. Wife of the head of the Ukrainian Mllitary intelligence was poisoned by heavy metals. She seems to be doing fine and is currently being treated.

A small reminder that this war is fought in many ways.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 30, 2023, 07:42:02 am »

Meanwhile, for the past two weeks, Ukrainian-Polish border is more or less blockaded by Polish haulers with no trucks allowed to go in or out.

And now their Slovakian colleagues announced that they will do the same on the Ukrainian-Slovakian border starting tomorrow.

Cool!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 30, 2023, 07:13:30 pm »

The Ukrainian truckers stuck there have scarce access to sanitation, medicine, heat. Some of them literally froze to death.

Polish trucker told the Ukrainian delegation they would "celebrate New Year's in a queue."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-ready-evacuate-stranded-truckers-polish-protests-persist-2023-11-24/

This occurrence of manufacturing a mini humanitarian crisis for Ukrainians while working to hurt the economy during what is happening in Ukraine right now is unbelievable to me. Can really feel the solidarity from these numbnuts. I used to have some sympathy for the truckers but this is beyond the pale.

I hope Polish government will help Ukraine out. They have a responsibility here.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:15:15 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 01, 2023, 06:54:37 am »

On this day, ten years ago everything started. Or rather... We started fighting back because Russia started a hybrid war against us way earlier.

A huge crowd came onto the streets after a tiny, insignificant, and absolutely peaceful student protest was viciously beaten by riot police a day before. What is known as Euromaidan or the Revolution of Dignity has begun.

Ten years there has been no peace in my Ukraine. Ten years of the best sons and daughters of my nation going away. Ten years each year is worse than the one before... And it is not even Ukraine, all of this decade I see one triumph of evil after another. From the worst guys winning the Syrian Civil War and Talbian return, to total failure of freedom movements all over the world from Venezuela to Hong Kong, to the new rise of radical Islamism, to China casually genociding Uighurs with no consequences whatsoever, to neo-fascism becoming worryingly popular in Western countries, to...

I need some good news, damn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: December 07, 2023, 05:41:33 pm »

Whatever the recent issues with Ukraine's manpower issues, Russia seems to need to look even further afield....

(On paper, Russia shouldn't have ever had a problem with manpower, for such a 'local' war. Again, reality seems to gnawing at the hands of those who initially assumed a quickly assured "military intervention" would be enough.)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: December 07, 2023, 06:52:16 pm »

The number of foreigners they can manipulate into joining their military is probably too small to matter, let alone the typical migrant's poor ability to fight in this sort of war. Though, if the Russians can use people as bait to both waste Ukrainian ammunition and spot for indirect fire...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1601 on: December 07, 2023, 06:57:47 pm »

The number of foreigners they can manipulate into joining their military is probably too small to matter, let alone the typical migrant's poor ability to fight in this sort of war. Though, if the Russians can use people as bait to both waste Ukrainian ammunition and spot for indirect fire...
Foreigners, convicts, minorities, anyone who won't be missed and can be trusted to endure front line trenches with no rotation without upsetting any families in St Petersburg or Moscow

Not to mention Putin has to massively increase active serving personnel throughout Russia and their border with Ukraine, to stop Ukrainian raids into Russian territory, to deter a potential NATO intervention & to thwart any civilian demonstrations or military mutinies. It's a bit of a weird way to try and win a war by pointing the guns inwards

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 08, 2023, 01:35:28 am »

inhales a cocktail of hopium and copium
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 08, 2023, 03:30:36 am »

Providing manpower is a business now in Russia, cannon fodder is just that - a commodity provided to the center by regions in exchange for money or favors. If some creative people went to Nepal or elsewhere for a cheap source of that commodity, it doesn't actually prove that Russia itself has any real shortage.

_________

Meanwhile, Navalny and co are calling for Russians to do a very effective act of resistance and... go vote in the elections for anyone but Putin! How increasing the turnover of fake elections can hurt Putin is beyond my understanding but as a Russian classic once said "You can't understand Russia with your mind"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 08, 2023, 08:13:00 am »

I think that might be a tactic of morale and changing the discussion of elections. There is a lot of difference in what can spring from "we voted against Putin and he faked his victory" compared to "voting makes no difference, Putin will fake his election". Apathy is the biggest enemy of change.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 143