Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 211890 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1515 on: October 13, 2023, 04:46:32 pm »

Pakistan is destabilizing as we speak due to a water crisis among other things. They have, what, over a few hundred nukes? If Pakistan collapses, all those nukes now go on the black market and proliferation by unstable actors becomes a much more likely scenario.

I'm not going to speak to the overall ease of access to nukes. But when states with nuclear arms become failed states with nuclear arms it becomes a lot more likely.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 13, 2023, 05:31:28 pm »

Sure, but that has nothing to do with Russia and Ukraine?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 13, 2023, 05:50:56 pm »

Do not forget the part where we are disallowed to use the shiny Western stuff to strike across the border. Sure, we kinda started production of our own drones and even produce some cruise missiles but we have no realistic way to mess with Russian logistics\industry like they do.
Yeah. I think I said it before - the Western help, with few exceptions, seems designed more to make the public feel good about themselves and less concerned with actual needs on the ground.
I said this a bit ago in other places and got shouted down a little — and I agree, it seems fairly scattered and haphazard.
Welcome to Politics...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 13, 2023, 05:53:28 pm »

Pakistan is destabilizing as we speak due to a water crisis among other things. They have, what, over a few hundred nukes? If Pakistan collapses, all those nukes now go on the black market and proliferation by unstable actors becomes a much more likely scenario.

I'm not going to speak to the overall ease of access to nukes. But when states with nuclear arms become failed states with nuclear arms it becomes a lot more likely.

This may be a bit of a tangent, mind discussing Pakistan somewhere else? I mean, it certainly sounds like something worth discussing, just not here.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 13, 2023, 06:53:31 pm »

::) It's in response to an argument raised raised in the preceding post. It's not trying to start a discussion about Pakistan.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 13, 2023, 07:04:55 pm »

::) It's in response to an argument raised raised in the preceding post. It's not trying to start a discussion about Pakistan.
It's not actually responsive to anything, though. Like... okay, Pakistan, but that doesn't have anything to do with anything I said?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 13, 2023, 08:19:53 pm »

Second, your argument can easily apply to every instance of a nuclear power bullying non-nuclear countries with impunity since, well, the first time; and nuclear proliferation hasn't happened recently. Why not the Russian-Georgian war, or the Second Chechen war, or the Gulf wars, or the Syrian war, or the US invasion of Afghanistan? Why not Israel and Palestine? Of course, non-nuclear states still bully each other at will based on who is stronger, and have since prehistory.

Bah! I wrote an entire post arguing against your point, but after looking at a world map, the only countries that could conceivably benefit from getting nukes are the Middle East and Moldova. The Middle East should have been motivated by Afghanistan and etc. but the fact that they haven't is evidence in your favour.

Perhaps Random Dragon was wrong after all. Can't say I'm happy to hear that news though. The Ukraine war got more press than all the other wars, but at the end of the day it seems like the West is content to just let Russia grind away at Ukraine until it is dust.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
NATO’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 13, 2023, 08:52:12 pm »

the only countries that could conceivably benefit from getting nukes are the Middle East and Moldova.
Uh. What?

Like, you know there's been about a coup a day in central Africa lately, right?

Perhaps Random Dragon was wrong after all.
I never saw that post before but... it looks completely nutty. Just totally outside reality.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 13, 2023, 09:52:35 pm »

the only countries that could conceivably benefit from getting nukes are the Middle East and Moldova.
Uh. What?

Like, you know there's been about a coup a day in central Africa lately, right?

Yes. It's very tragic, I found the Niger one to be particularly interesting. It's been 2 months and ECOWAS still hasn't invaded.

Regardless though, what is a coup leader supposed to do with nukes? It seems like the main threats they face are internal rather than external ones. I find it hard to see how nuking one's own territory will help you stay in power.

I can of course imagine tinpot dictators wanting nukes, but that seems to be power for power's sake. I don't think the outcome of the ukraine war is going to affect Africa's decision to pursue nukes whatsoever. I only mentioned the nations that I did due to their proximity to Russia.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 14, 2023, 02:58:25 am »

Regardless though, what is a coup leader supposed to do with nukes? It seems like the main threats they face are internal rather than external ones. I find it hard to see how nuking one's own territory will help you stay in power.
He could use them as a threat, a you attack me I'll blow the entire place up kind of thing, I mean what use is the territory to a coup leader if he dies so he might as well take it with him to keep the other guy from having it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 14, 2023, 03:15:44 am »

Perhaps Random Dragon was wrong after all. Can't say I'm happy to hear that news though. The Ukraine war got more press than all the other wars, but at the end of the day it seems like the West is content to just let Russia grind away at Ukraine until it is dust.

Oh if only I could say I was wrong. The continued extent of how fuck-all good what we're doing has done to actually stop Putin's Small Penis Misadventure means we've blown right past ending 1 (functionally the only one that qualifies as a Good End).

So far we're at the stage of hoping for Putin to commit suicide by multiple gunshots to the back of the head so we can unlock ending 2 (maybe good but a lot of fuckery is in our future).

But if this shit keeps grinding Ukraine down and the world doesn't get Article 5'd in the process, by the time we're falling ass-first into Ending 7 (the one that makes us end up wishing nuclear war will just fucking end it already by the time it finally comes) we won't have time to really recognize that we're officially in the new era of imperialism and militarism, and the eventual prospect of nuclear proliferation, until it's well and solidly too little, too late.

I'd say the fact that various other countries have decided now is the ideal time to begin starting shit is a bad sign that implies we might be getting ready to fast-track that Bad End. We've already had some of the ex-Soviet countries decide that this is a fine time for a slap fight, Sudan is doing fucked if I even know kinda drugs and is in a slap-fight with itself, Israel and Palestine have decided to have a slap fight over whether Gaza would prefer its terrorism kosher or halal...

I never saw that post before but... it looks completely nutty. Just totally outside reality.

That's fucking rich coming from an alt-right troll.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 03:18:11 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 14, 2023, 05:15:46 am »

Spoiler: ObMeme (click to show/hide)

...but we're definitely drifting. Unless we want to talk about how Ukraine once had nuclear weapons, by default. (And other FSRs, right?)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 14, 2023, 12:10:47 pm »

That's fucking rich coming from an alt-right troll.
You're such a loon.

...but we're definitely drifting. Unless we want to talk about how Ukraine once had nuclear weapons, by default. (And other FSRs, right?)
Kazakhstan did. Belarus also did and once gave them up, but has now entered into nuclear sharing agreements with Russia. As far as I know, that's it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 14, 2023, 09:53:16 pm »

Do I smell a thread lock?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 14, 2023, 10:11:40 pm »

It’s been 10 hours since anybody said anything, so unless Random Dragon is working on the mother of all flame posts, it’s done.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 159