Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 211759 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1485 on: October 09, 2023, 08:32:46 am »

Some personal news:

My brother is in a hospital after getting a small piece of shrapnel in his leg. He feels good enough to curse at doctors who want to keep him for two weeks. His crew is fine. R.I.P another 2S1 Gvozdika
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1486 on: October 09, 2023, 09:08:19 am »

Some personal news:

My brother is in a hospital after getting a small piece of shrapnel in his leg. He feels good enough to curse at doctors who want to keep him for two weeks. His crew is fine. R.I.P another 2S1 Gvozdika
Holy shit that's a close call. Hope he recovers swiftly Strongpoint

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 09, 2023, 10:49:18 am »

Tell him the best thing he can do for his country right now is to heal well and proper and heal strong orsomething, guilt him into staying put :P

Jokes aside I hope he recovers without issues
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 09, 2023, 08:25:34 pm »

Best of wishes to him!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 10, 2023, 10:05:28 am »

So, looks like the leaking gas pipeline between Finland and Estonia had been sabotaged (surprise, surprise!):
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/10/undersea-pipeline-damage-appears-to-be-deliberate-says-finland

“It is likely that the damage to both the gas pipeline and the communication cable is the result of external activity,” Sauli Niinistö said on X, formerly Twitter, on Tuesday. “The cause of the damage is not yet clear; the investigation continues.”

[...]

Local media cited unnamed government sources as saying Russian sabotage was suspected, while regional security experts said a Russian survey vessel had recently been observed in the vicinity of the pipeline.

Nato’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, said the transatlantic military alliance was “ready to share information about the destruction of Finnish and Estonian underwater infrastructure” and to “support its allies”.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 10, 2023, 11:44:17 am »

Looks like Russians are attempting a new massive push on the Eastern front, next weeks will be hard.

Also, it must be convenient for Russians that all media is now focused on Israel's war. Our war is becoming a background one
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 11, 2023, 03:07:39 am »

I don't get why everyone's making a big deal about a war in Israel anyway I mean there's fighting over there all the time anyway I'm not sure what makes this new and exciting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 11, 2023, 03:20:59 am »

I don't get why everyone's making a big deal about a war in Israel anyway I mean there's fighting over there all the time anyway I'm not sure what makes this new and exciting.

This one will be big and bloody (if you consider the current combined deathtoll of around 2K "not exciting" enough). It will be big and bloody even if it won't spill over to Lebanon and Syria. And it may.  Also, Hamas's attack was very... graphic and hard to ignore.

At the same time, I also ask myself why Israeli doing stuff to Palestinians always gets way more attention than China doing stuff to Uyghurs or Mali doing stuff to Tuaregs, or a bunch of Middle Eastern countries doing stuff to Kurds or... it is a long list.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 11, 2023, 04:48:48 am »

Thats some fine whataboutism right there.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 11, 2023, 05:33:17 am »

I understand whataboutism as stuff like: Country X did bad thing A, therefore it is normal when unrelated country Y does completely unrelated bad thing B. And I fail to see that in any of the prior messages. But such vague terms always have different interpretations.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 11, 2023, 07:51:43 am »

Increases and decreases in news coverage are regulated by the estimated value in changing public opinions through emotional reaction or analytical information and that require change. When atrocities levels do not change, there is less "news". When there are events that stand out as different, or changes in volume, there is "news".

Has "whataboutism" become a derogatory label?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 11, 2023, 09:27:05 am »

Uh, I don't think there's ever been a point in its existence as a term where it wasn't? So yes, in the sense that it was created as one and has not been turned to another use since.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 11, 2023, 10:00:56 am »

Also, for the US, our interest in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict vastly outstrips our interest and attention on Europe and former Soviet satellites. Just the way things are here. There is a massive Israeli lobbying effort, plenty of Jews with ties to their homeland and feels about it, and Israel has been a political football for American politicians for longer than I've been alive.

And war fatigue is a thing. The Russian War of Aggression has been going on for a while. Sort of like how we couldn't keep being shocked and appalled by what was going on in Syria, eventually the news of attacks, new fronts opening, new atrocities starts to become commonplace.

There have been times when there was so much news coming out of Gaza etc...that we also started to tune out as Americans.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 11, 2023, 11:48:55 am »

There is only one positive of the Israel War for the Ukrainian cause - Israelis, especially Russian-speaking, are quite surprised that Russian propaganda is very, very pro-HAMAS.

Other than that - higher oil prices benefit Russia. Diverted media and public attention benefits Russia. Israel needing the Western arms market to replenish its stocks benefits Russia. Iran having a new reason to cooperate with Russia more closely also benefits Russia.

________

The war, in my opinion, is going badly. I tend not to write much in this thread because I dislike spreading doom and gloom but I firmly believe that Ukraine is losing the war and we need some serious Black Swan to turn the tide. There are successes, sure but we spent too many resources (read lives) in the largely failed offensive and it is impossible to win the war of attrition vs Russia. 

Hope that the sanctioned Russian economy won't be able to sustain the war, that there will be meaningful internal dissent or that the morale of Russian forces will go too low was misguided

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 11, 2023, 03:27:45 pm »

I'm admittedly out of the loop, but hasn't Russia's stance on Israel been antagonistic for a long time?  It wouldn't surprise me that they're pro Hamas.

Anyway, I feel you on the prospects of the Ukrainian war.  I try not to form strong feelings on the direction of the war since I have such limited information, but it's obvious that it's deteriorated into a grind and naively I'd expect Russia to have a lot of advantages when it comes to a long and grinding war.

That said, I'm still astonished that they're managing to keep their war effort going with the horrendous losses they keep taking.  I know that they can keep feeding people into the war essentially forever and can keep a trickle of cobbled-together equipment flowing into it, on top of buying equipment from their scant allies like North Korea and Iran, but it's still astonishing that they're managing to keep up as much as they are.  Will their effort suddenly collapse when the 40 artillery systems destroyed every day finally catch up to what they can replace?  Or the loss of tanks and APCs?  I don't know, but I'd have expected it to collapse a long time ago at this rate.

And while it appears that Ukraine is losing proportionally fewer people and equipment, I have to acknowledge that we don't know the true numbers on either side and there's a strong incentive to keep bad news hidden from public eye.

I used to hold out hope that Putin dying would bring an end to the war with Russia withdrawing, but I now doubt that would happen even if he did die in the near future.  For one thing he may live another 15 years, and for another I keep reading that the people likely to replace him are just as bad.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 159