Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 210644 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1185 on: July 29, 2023, 02:07:47 pm »

(My wet dream is offensive into Russia from Sumy, right into the soft rear of those forces pushing on the Northern front but we all know it is politically impossible)
"Those are not Ukrainian army units pushing into Russia, those are Ukrainian-speaking Russian self-defence forces defending themselves from Russian aggression"

Just throw the Russian hybrid warfare book at Putin's head

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 02, 2023, 06:01:25 am »

The MJT (Mobile Justice Team), part of the ACAG (Atrocities Crimes Advisory Group) that was formed by the UK, US and EU to assist the Ukrainian justice department with persecuting warcrimes, reports that of all prisoners of war captured in the Cherson area, nearly half were subjected to torture and anal rape.
They interviewed 320 former prisoners of war that were held in various detention camps in the Cherson region. 43% of them reported having been tortured in the improvised prisons. Sexual violence was the most used form of torture, for both male and female prisoners.

36 prisoners reported the use of cattle prod electrical stun devices, applied to the genitals.
At least one prisoner was forced to watch as another one was being raped.

The report also states that part of the prisoners were not military, but civilian familiy members of military who were being punished for their familiy member being in the military.

With the men, it seems that the sexual torture is not just for pleasure and submission, but also to ensure that Ukrainian males will no longer be able to have children.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 06:10:58 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1187 on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:25 am »

The MJT (Mobile Justice Team), part of the ACAG (Atrocities Crimes Advisory Group) that was formed by the UK, US and EU to assist the Ukrainian justice department with persecuting warcrimes, reports that of all prisoners of war captured in the Cherson area, nearly half were subjected to torture and anal rape.
They interviewed 320 former prisoners of war that were held in various detention camps in the Cherson region. 43% of them reported having been tortured in the improvised prisons. Sexual violence was the most used form of torture, for both male and female prisoners.

36 prisoners reported the use of cattle prod electrical stun devices, applied to the genitals.
At least one prisoner was forced to watch as another one was being raped.

The report also states that part of the prisoners were not military, but civilian familiy members of military who were being punished for their familiy member being in the military.

With the men, it seems that the sexual torture is not just for pleasure and submission, but also to ensure that Ukrainian males will no longer be able to have children.
It's at times like these I vomit remembering how many people I knew IRL who genuinely believed the most moral thing the West could do was disarm Ukraine so they would be forced to surrender to Russia

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 04, 2023, 02:19:39 am »

Ukrainian naval drones successfully (there is video of at least one warship being damaged) attacked Russian Naval Base in Novorossiysk. It demonstrates that we can engage targets on the other side of the Black Sea and it is massive. I'd love to see attacks on the civilian Novorossiysk port, messing with its oil and other exports

So far, it is the only domestic weapons program that was started after the war has begun, that shows noticeable results. I hope there are others that are not as visible.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 04, 2023, 04:14:21 am »

Are the naval drones those remote controlled boats filled with explosives they were talking about a while back?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 04, 2023, 04:50:10 am »

It seems likely. Or a further iteration of them/alternate solution with convergent evolution towards similar ends.

Not sure there's any catalogue photos of them. If destroyed, as intended by use or through defensive action against them, might not leave handily recognisable and recoverable bits. The news keeps using the same "stranded on a beach" example file-photo to illustrate what one was like.

Future war-historians might know a whole lot more, naturally.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 04, 2023, 05:23:04 am »

Are the naval drones those remote controlled boats filled with explosives they were talking about a while back?

Yep, those - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1WbNY-yB0&t=1s
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1192 on: August 04, 2023, 05:36:25 am »

Ukrainian naval drones successfully (there is video of at least one warship being damaged) attacked Russian Naval Base in Novorossiysk. It demonstrates that we can engage targets on the other side of the Black Sea and it is massive. I'd love to see attacks on the civilian Novorossiysk port, messing with its oil and other exports

So far, it is the only domestic weapons program that was started after the war has begun, that shows noticeable results. I hope there are others that are not as visible.
Putin now going to realise the Black Sea grain deal was the only thing keeping his ships safe

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 05, 2023, 06:22:25 am »

Ukraine’s maritime authority issues a notice to mariners that all Russian Black Sea ports and approaches to them will be considered a “war risk area” as of August 23. Gives more than two weeks for all commercial vessels trading with Russia to leave the Black Sea

IMO, it is too generous. 48 hours' notice would be enough, Or 72.

Edit: source I took it from misunderstood the "041200 UTC AUG 23" date format :) It is actually from August 4.

Happy exporting from Novorossyisk, Russia.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 06:27:02 am by Strongpoint »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1195 on: August 05, 2023, 03:40:50 pm »

Ukrainian officials are claiming that the first line of Russian fortifications in the south have been broken through in multiple places. The second lines are holding for now, but coming under attack.

That started near Robotine, maybe two weeks ago.Apparently this is huge, considering the second line is mostly there to prevent the first from retreating.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 05, 2023, 04:26:07 pm »

No, the second lines are pretty tough, with full-on concrete bunkers and such.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 06, 2023, 02:46:43 am »

Well nothing says, don't retreat when the way back home is concrete bunkers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 06, 2023, 02:14:09 pm »

Putin now going to realise the Black Sea grain deal was the only thing keeping his ships safe
This turns out to be 100% accurate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1199 on: August 07, 2023, 08:29:10 am »

This turns out to be 100% accurate.
That's a lot of ordnance going boom holy smokes

Does the Crimean Bridge just provide a link from Crimea to Russia, or are there other major ways in and out of Crimea?  Presumably those just link to Ukrainian territory?

I'm trying to understand the strategic value in destroying the bridge.  It presumably would prevent reinforcements from arriving that way from Russia, but Crimea isn't really close to the front lines from what I can see.  I guess it might serve as one of the main routes from the south?

I'm also curious about the impact on potentially trapping civilians.  I can only assume a ton of Russians moved to Crimea after it was annexed, so I wonder what will even happen if Ukraine reclaims it.
Not really about reinforcements, more important for disrupting Russian ability to resupply its own forces with ammunition/shells/barrels/water/food/fuel and all the other usual gubbins needed to sustain military action. The Crimean bridge is vitally important to disrupt as much as possible because trucks carrying supplies to the Crimean peninsula can then offload their supplies to Crimean supply depots. These depots can then transport supplies to Melitopol/Zaporozhia/Mariupol through the railway bridge on the Syvash (a vast shallow-water area which is a logistic nightmare to traverse) which the Ukrainians have also been sabotaging with missiles and saboteurs.

This forces Russia to use railway lines on the Rostov-Donetsk axis (which are in range of Ukrainian artillery), roads (which have lower transport volumes or have to take wide detours to avoid artillery/drone fire) or transport by port in Mariupol or Berdyansk (vulnerable adverse weather conditions and to port strikes, which the Ukrainians have also been conducting). All of which results in lower volumes of war materiel front line russians can use to shoot at Ukrainians, which greatly increases Russian attrition and makes the chance of forcing Russian withdrawal much greater. This is similar to what the Ukrainian army did in Kherson. They continually attacked despite heavy casualties, forcing the Russians to use up their stockpiles of ammunition. They destroyed the bridges behind them, so they could not restock on ammunition. Eventually their shortages became too dangerous to sustain and were forced to withdraw

To update on the bridge over the Syvash, the Ukrainians upgraded it with some air holes again

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If Ukraine can keep hammering Russia's ports and Crimean land bridges this will make the Ukrainian offensive much easier
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 159