Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 210260 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1050 on: July 03, 2023, 09:10:59 pm »

I mean… argue over the numbers if you want, the fact is Russia is waging a campaign to traffic Ukrainian children to Russian families. Doing this to one child is one child too many.

There was an article on the BBC recently regarding Russians taking Ukrainian children into “care” even though they knew who and where their parents were. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: Article.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:27:06 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 04, 2023, 04:27:58 am »

The best case scenario here is that maybe in the future it will be possible for sanctions or international criminal charges to be used as leverage to get them back - Russia is going to be wanting to rejoin the international community someday. Even that hope, however, would come only after years, meaning that there's no hope of preventing the severe damage that's coming.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 04, 2023, 04:36:29 am »

You have two numbers here: 19,5k and 700k.
The former is Ukraine's number they gave to the documentary maker well over half a year ago.
The latter is the number given by the Russian government 2 days ago.
Can't compare the two they are from different timestamps.

In any case, the 19.5k is too low. The ICC is investigating just a single a website that offers 30k Ukrainian children for adoption.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 04:40:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 04, 2023, 06:06:18 am »

Russia just seems to be digging itself a deeper and deeper hole with all this shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 04, 2023, 07:43:32 am »

Can't compare the two they are from different timestamps.
Jesus, martinuzz. You can't compare them because they're not talking about the same thing. Was my point. If the 700k were the new number published by the Ukrainian Ministry of Reintegration, then you could say these were stolen, because that's what the concerned party would be claiming. As is, 700k is literally just a number, that you don't know what goes into. It could be counting anything or nothing, and there's plenty other children to count than only those illegally deported. It could have been made up on the spot even. Which is why you cant conflate it with the other number.
This is completely separate from whether the 19.5k has since grown or was grossly undervalued. It could have even grown to 700k, or more - but you don't know that. So don't say it like it's the truth until you do.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 04, 2023, 12:57:33 pm »

Russian propagandists in Telegram are pushing "information" that Ukraine plans to bomb the Zaporizhzhia NPP on July 5.

*nervous giggling*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 04, 2023, 01:00:11 pm »

Should I be getting iodine stocked?
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 04, 2023, 01:14:31 pm »

Should I be getting iodine stocked?

Nah, Radioactive Iodine is stuff you get from a working nuclear reactor, those are inactive for quite some time. It shouldn't have relevant quantities, especially by the time needed for the wind to deliver it to you. (Not that it stopped Ukrainians buying that stuff, I expect quite few will poison themselves in panic)

Fun coincidence: local winds at the relevant heights are about to change from ones going to Crimea to ones going away from Russian controlled area (and just above my head, BTW). *more nervous giggling* At least there is no rain in the forecast for the next few days.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 05, 2023, 02:17:40 am »

Wonder if this means we need to go to the fallout shelters or should we wait a few days?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 05, 2023, 02:32:34 am »

Wonder if this means we need to go to the fallout shelters or should we wait a few days?

Realistically speaking, the worst possible thing that can happen is up to ~100km radius exclusion zone, a lot of radioactive stuff in Dnipro and the Black Sea + some radioactive spots for ones who will lose the wind and rain roulette + slightly elevated background radiation rates over large areas.

It is actually what scares me the most, the planetary-wide effect will be minor enough for Russia to go for it. Most of the damage will be in Ukraine

And I think that what will likely happen is that Russia will make the station inoperable by blowing up all the machinery they can get causing minor (Fukushima level) leaks that will be exaggerated by Russian propaganda to increase panic in Ukraine

On the other hand, they may be crazy enough to make holes in the reactors or even blow up the spent fuel storage.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1060 on: July 06, 2023, 11:10:33 pm »

So apparently Prigozhin is back in Russia?

Utterly bizarre.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 07, 2023, 01:58:39 am »

The hysteria around cluster munitions that are about to be provided to Ukraine disgusts me so much. It is like a religious behavior - our holy texts say that cluster munitions are bad and we'll ignore all circumstances and just scream how bad it is hinting that Ukraine is just as evil as Russia

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 07, 2023, 04:49:57 am »

The hysteria around cluster munitions that are about to be provided to Ukraine disgusts me so much. It is like a religious behavior - our holy texts say that cluster munitions are bad and we'll ignore all circumstances and just scream how bad it is hinting that Ukraine is just as evil as Russia
Some people can't see past their limited world views, so they think everything that doesn't fit into it must be bad.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 07, 2023, 01:52:32 pm »

Well, russia has killed civilians with no regard. And ukraine hasn't. So my stance is, unless ukraine starts killing civilians with cluster bombs, then don't see an issue with cluster munitions.

When that happens, my stance will be everyone is a piece of cr*p in this war and I won't support anyone any longer. But I doubt ukraine is gonna start doing that, its just in that hypothetical situation. To me, a war shouldn't escalate to where innocents die like russia has been doing against ukranians, but it doesn't make it right if both sides start doing it. Would come off very hypocritical to defend that and just an echo chamber if anyone thinks thats ok because one side does it now everyone can.

With that said, outside of this echo chamber of a forum section (it is a bit echoey chamber, even though I agree with most of it, some questionable opinions here so I avoid most of this section most of the time), most people outside here don't agree with it and agree overall with the national news (AU news, BBC etc) that it leads to a potential catastrophe for innocent lives more than already going on and escalates the war. But most also agree with my view point that as long as ukraine doesn't PURPOSELY indiscriminately start killing innocents, then its not much an issue currently. And so far it hasn't been an issue since apparently ukraine has already been using them already and has done their best to avoid any situation like that. Its only if they start purposely doing it, like russia is where I would be 100% against that, like most rational people.

With that said, I don't really like that US is starting to seemingly get desperate and doing russian-like tactics by sending ukraine the same weapons pretty much russia uses...but again, as long as innocents aren't targeted like russia does, its not really an issue.

So while I sound a bit back and forth with this, I lean more toward doing the best to avoid innocent lives by NOT supplying weapons that are banned in most countries. There is a good reason they are banned in over 100 countries after all. But then its not really an issue if used properly, but the thing is, they aren't usually used properly when things get desperate.

Then there is my own side opinion but not really one I'd want cause I want to live...but one that wants everything to keep escalating. If the war escalates enough, maybe the world will get nuked and all the human damage will eventually go away after 100s of thousands/millions of years, but what effects of a nuclear war would have on earth, I doubt scientists really know and we'd all be gone anyway so no one would know. But earth would be better without humans lol. Do more damage to the planet than any other species. I have a feeling this is what some really want but don't say it out loud. And there you go, my own questionable opinion lol

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 07, 2023, 02:59:06 pm »

With that said, I don't really like that US is starting to seemingly get desperate and doing russian-like tactics by sending ukraine the same weapons pretty much russia uses
Yep! Bows and arrows would be a better, eco-friendly choice. And Russia doesn't use those!

The only thing that truly matters is that cluster munitions are really effective for the task of breaking through extensive trench lines, something Ukraine has to do.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 159