Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103174 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #750 on: June 21, 2023, 10:10:41 am »

Also, knowing how Russia loves to copy stuff from the West and make a horrible, twisted version of it "Christianity, Marx's theories, capitalism, etc." I expect that, if Russia will not collapse, the next stage will be the "woke" one. Take the worst, most exaggerated and caricature version of "woke" and make it more extreme. This will be Russian ideology at some point.
I'll take that, honestly. As long as it exterminates the current mindset of our country and makes it geopolitically irrelevant. As a bi neurodivergent man I wouldn't mind an arch-progressive ideology taking over Russia, if that's what you mean. "We will lose our culture, our traditions!" That's fucking great, I want that. When Putin talks about LGBT people wanting to undermine Russia from the inside and burn what makes us Russian to the ground, I say yes. Yes I do. I am merely doing what you say Mr Huilo.
Russia has already imitated Anti-Woke sentiments, even identifying themselves as such. They picked the opposing side to Woke, don't see them going the other way.
Yeah it doesn't seem likely, I was responding to Strongpoint.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 21, 2023, 12:46:23 pm »

Also, knowing how Russia loves to copy stuff from the West and make a horrible, twisted version of it "Christianity, Marx's theories, capitalism, etc." I expect that, if Russia will not collapse, the next stage will be the "woke" one. Take the worst, most exaggerated and caricature version of "woke" and make it more extreme. This will be Russian ideology at some point.
I'll take that, honestly. As long as it exterminates the current mindset of our country and makes it geopolitically irrelevant. As a bi neurodivergent man I wouldn't mind an arch-progressive ideology taking over Russia, if that's what you mean. "We will lose our culture, our traditions!" That's fucking great, I want that. When Putin talks about LGBT people wanting to undermine Russia from the inside and burn what makes us Russian to the ground, I say yes. Yes I do. I am merely doing what you say Mr Huilo.
Russia has already imitated Anti-Woke sentiments, even identifying themselves as such. They picked the opposing side to Woke, don't see them going the other way.

Well, would many say in 1985 that USSR will soon collapse into a number of countries with capitalist oligarchy rising to power almost immediately and left ideology disappearing with remaining "left" parties being other a parody or extremely marginal?

And communism was a way more robust ideology than that kitchen sink Russia currently has.

It is Russians we are talking about. Very malleable substance. If their propaganda machine will start saying that every Russian should try homosexual sex, a lot of them will.

Of course, we need some kind of liberals somehow coming to power in Russia, getting control over the propaganda machine. This is a hard part. But if they'll do - It will be a very swift process.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 21, 2023, 01:02:05 pm »

Honestly (to go off-topic) I can't understand the sort of... sacredness? of books nowadays.

Could understand waaaaaaaaaaay back when, when each book had to be transcribed rather than printed and thus you might actually have the only copy, but we mass produce books to such a stupid extent nowadays that when I was working in a charity shop we had a shed full of books for recycling that just got dumped in there willy-nilly because nobody'd buy them. They're a dime a dozen and so long as society doesn't collapse it'll stay that way.
If anything, that's just another reason. I mean I'm not particularly desirous of "destroying fundamental data", as well, but destroying a copy is a gesture that I don't think I'd make either. Rare copies of old books (or anything not originally rare but actively endangered by such a practice) are indeed a loss to be avoided, but I don't treat that as my moral/practical limit on the issue.

Apparently there's been a good market in Iran for the Stars And Stripes flag (extra flammable!), at times. While there are some who would definitely treat that as a mortal insult (and others, similarly patriotic to the US but more philosophical, might even personally treat it more as a sign of positive affirmation of their homeland's status w.r.t. that of Iran), again I'm just bemused by the practice.

And, short of a suitably-scoped Infinity Glove finger-snap, these things are pretty much reduced to a gesture. One that doesn't achieve the stated aim in any realistic manner, so any truly considered motivation for the act can only really be justified as the means to a different ends, an intent that I just cannot relate to right now.

(But fill 'yer boots, those who do.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 21, 2023, 09:05:22 pm »

They're not "imitating" Anti-Woke sentiments. A fuckton of that came from them in the first place, because they have an almost open policy of fomenting cultural fault lines in rival nations as a destabilization tactic. They're also proven to be behind a lot of the anti-vax shit that's been going around. Problem for Russia is that most of that leaked back into Russia and is now working against them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 22, 2023, 01:25:28 am »

Well, would many say in 1985 that USSR will soon collapse into a number of countries with capitalist oligarchy rising to power almost immediately and left ideology disappearing with remaining "left" parties being other a parody or extremely marginal?

And communism was a way more robust ideology than that kitchen sink Russia currently has.

It is Russians we are talking about. Very malleable substance. If their propaganda machine will start saying that every Russian should try homosexual sex, a lot of them will.

Of course, we need some kind of liberals somehow coming to power in Russia, getting control over the propaganda machine. This is a hard part. But if they'll do - It will be a very swift process.
This would be based and make me not move. Lol. As long as our current mindset and old culture is smashed mercilessly.

Honestly (to go off-topic) I can't understand the sort of... sacredness? of books nowadays.

Could understand waaaaaaaaaaay back when, when each book had to be transcribed rather than printed and thus you might actually have the only copy, but we mass produce books to such a stupid extent nowadays that when I was working in a charity shop we had a shed full of books for recycling that just got dumped in there willy-nilly because nobody'd buy them. They're a dime a dozen and so long as society doesn't collapse it'll stay that way.
If anything, that's just another reason. I mean I'm not particularly desirous of "destroying fundamental data", as well, but destroying a copy is a gesture that I don't think I'd make either. Rare copies of old books (or anything not originally rare but actively endangered by such a practice) are indeed a loss to be avoided, but I don't treat that as my moral/practical limit on the issue.

Apparently there's been a good market in Iran for the Stars And Stripes flag (extra flammable!), at times. While there are some who would definitely treat that as a mortal insult (and others, similarly patriotic to the US but more philosophical, might even personally treat it more as a sign of positive affirmation of their homeland's status w.r.t. that of Iran), again I'm just bemused by the practice.

And, short of a suitably-scoped Infinity Glove finger-snap, these things are pretty much reduced to a gesture. One that doesn't achieve the stated aim in any realistic manner, so any truly considered motivation for the act can only really be justified as the means to a different ends, an intent that I just cannot relate to right now.

(But fill 'yer boots, those who do.)
I did it because vandalizing Russian classic literature is funny. I am a defiler and proud. I did things to several other 19th-century books that would break the forum's "no NSFW" rule if I shared them. :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:31:08 am by KittyTac »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 22, 2023, 01:51:10 am »

Book burning is bad for the climate. At least waste it in a less wasteful way. Like use it for toilet paper. Okay, it will give you a black ass, but that's just a minor inconvenience. As an added bonus, it will clog up the Russian sewer systems, leading to great outbreaks of cholera and dysentery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:52:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 22, 2023, 02:00:55 am »

Book burning is bad for the climate. At least waste it in a less wasteful way. Like use it for toilet paper. Okay, it will give you a black ass, but that's just a minor inconvenience. As an added bonus, it will clog up the Russian sewer systems, leading to great outbreaks of cholera and dysentery.
I didn't burn any. Aside from the "defiled" books: I smashed Oblomov onto the floor until all the pages fell out, chopped War And Peace in half, and poured concentrated sulfuric acid on Anna Karenina. I then chucked the books' remains off a bridge into the river.

Sorry for polluting the river with toxic waste. :P

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 22, 2023, 03:11:38 am »

Some kinks are truly weird
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 22, 2023, 03:29:07 am »

Some kinks are truly weird
I admit I have a lot of weird kinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 22, 2023, 06:07:51 am »

Conversations like this reduce my faith in humanity as a whole.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 22, 2023, 06:52:14 am »

Kek

I kinda dislike classic literature (not just Russian) but I am a diehard science fiction fan so that's par for the course (our true enemies are not the fantasy fans, but those pretentious literary fiction fans!!!). But I wouldn't go this far. I don't really care what anyone does to it however.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 06:56:56 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 22, 2023, 06:55:56 am »

I kinda dislike classic literature but I am a diehard science fiction fan so that's par for the course
Roadside Picnic?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 22, 2023, 06:59:24 am »

I kinda dislike classic literature but I am a diehard science fiction fan so that's par for the course
Roadside Picnic?
Not classic. It's from 1972. Anything before like, 1945, or even 1914, or so is not classic. And besides that's science fiction (and proves sci-fi can have literary merit).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 22, 2023, 07:25:49 am »

An author having literary merit doesn’t (shouldn’t) really mean they’re high-brow.

Shakespeare is rightly considered great, but he’s not above fart jokes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 22, 2023, 07:29:04 am »

An author having literary merit doesn’t (shouldn’t) really mean they’re high-brow.

Shakespeare is rightly considered great, but he’s not above fart jokes.
Yeah, also many "classic" books are just... overrated and boring. Historical curiosity at best. And in today's world I want escapism which is why I read (and write) sci-fi. lol
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 143