Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103209 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #525 on: May 22, 2023, 01:25:06 pm »

I wonder if there will be volunteer F-16 pilots\ground crews. Those would help a lot. Especially ground crews.
Historic precedent..? And plenty of other "foreign volountary legions", before or after, and even on the ground in your current situation.

(But the skill-levels associated with fast-jet aircraft make it a bit more exclusive than merely making used of military-trained individuals who can pick up a rifle/etc. It'll be more provocative/dangerous in case of falling into the hands of Russia, too, alive or dead, so surely it'll not be sanctioned so readily. If it happens, it'll be more solid a political act than merely helping with training and transfer of materielle.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2023, 01:39:16 pm »

According to the region's governor, most of the population of Belgorod has fled the region after the attacks on the border post.

Nah, he was speaking about Grayvoron*, a small town near the border not about the Belgorod city or the Belgorod Region

*Such a beautiful Ukrainian name meaning Rook (bird), all those villages and towns were Ukrainian not so long ago
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 22, 2023, 03:04:21 pm »

I don't know what Russia get so upset about, just the usual crazy Russians greenmen with arms bought in a store going on vacation. Besides its not like it is Russia Russia, it is Belgorod independent people republic  :P

Btw there are some mentions of nuclear silos nearby, not sure how valid is that.

Otherwise I hope these guys have an exist strategy, I can't imagine them joyriding there for long.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:26:19 pm by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 22, 2023, 03:35:46 pm »

I love how Russia is in a lose-lose situation here

1) Don't send reinforcements = Incursion will go deeper
2) Send some reinforcements = It will result in prolonged combat for some strategically useless villages
3) Send a lot = Enemy will just fall back to while you moved troops that are needed elsewhere
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 22, 2023, 07:17:35 pm »

From my understanding this a small raiding party with no support. Do you believe they will fight or Russia need a lot to surround them?

Edit: I am not sure what their game plan but if they prolong this raid they risk having special forces drop special forces on them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:25:21 pm by jipehog »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 22, 2023, 07:24:07 pm »

It was reported here they've already retreated. And that they had support from at least a few tanks and helicopters - that is to say, these independently operating troops of Russian ethnicity had with them some equipment commonly available at every corner store.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 22, 2023, 07:29:13 pm »

It was reported here they've already retreated.
That is good to hear, I hope they brought up some goodies. Now rinse and repeat elsewhere?

And that they had support from at least a few tanks and helicopters
Any official sources? This could be the beginning of an interesting new phase.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 22, 2023, 07:32:47 pm »

Any official sources?
Nothing reliable in English. Just a local milblogger with good track record. More info should come up in a day or two.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 22, 2023, 08:06:49 pm »

From my understanding this a small raiding party with no support. Do you believe they will fight or Russia need a lot to surround them?

Edit: I am not sure what their game plan but if they prolong this raid they risk having special forces drop special forces on them.
Yes, because America really whooped those Viet Cong, and Afghanistan is everyone's bitch...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 22, 2023, 10:31:44 pm »

One thing that bothers me a lot is the participation of the "Russian Volunteer Corps", unlike the freedom legion which is also in the raid, those look like our own version of Bid Laden, someone who will be a problem for Ukraine and the world in the future.

Enemy of my enemy should have limitations and employing outright neo-nazies is giving a hand to Russian propaganda.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 23, 2023, 01:59:27 am »

So are they actually anti-Russia people or is this another damned false flag?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 23, 2023, 02:25:31 am »

So are they actually anti-Russia people or is this another damned false flag?

Yes, they are actually anti-Russia people.

There is the "Freedom of Russia" legion which is based on Russian soldiers who switched sides early in the war + they are actively recruiting and training citizens of Russia growing in size. They also seem to be connected with some underground group(s) who make minor acts of sabotage in Russia.

And there is smaller "Russian Volunteer Corps" which consists of people who fled from Russia earlier and many of whom are fighting since 2014. It's core is anti-putin nationalist and they range from right-center-minded people to 100% pure white supremacist fascists of the "Breivik is a hero" variety.

Both groups are receiving equipment and training from Ukraine and take part in the fighting, for example, they were in Bakhmut for some time. Both are doing this incursion into the Belgorod thing now and, AFAIK, they didn't pull back yet.

We are supporting many different units of this kind. We have several Chechen volunteer units, Karelian separatists, Bashkir separatists, Turkic speaking unit for Tatars and Caucasians, etc

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 23, 2023, 04:44:37 am »

our own version of Bid Laden

They're wealthy foreign nobles that have a vested interest in destabilizing your region?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 23, 2023, 05:45:44 am »

our own version of Bid Laden

They're wealthy foreign nobles that have a vested interest in destabilizing your region?

OK, it is not AS stupid as empowering Bin Laden...

Meanwhile, they didn't retreat overnight. Imagine USA or China or any competent country being "invaded" by around 150 armed men and being unable to squash them in 24 hours

Yes, I remember that Ukraine failed this task in 2014 spectacularly but we were in a deep political crisis and had two decades of "we don't need an army, who can attack us" mentality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 23, 2023, 06:06:42 am »

And even then Ukrainian regular forces were able to push back Russian army divisions trying to march north of Crimea.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 143