Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209061 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #435 on: May 13, 2023, 01:00:30 pm »

2 helicopters and 2 jet fighters were shot down by something in Russia today. I am so curious about what the hell we used to shoot them down across the border...

Most likely, we risked and brought a long-range SAM really close to the border. Another possibility is a saboteur group with MANPADs

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2023, 02:57:30 pm »

Reports I'm seeing suggest that it was Russia that shot down the two Russian jets and three Russian helicopters, quite possibly due to panic from the Storm Shadow and MALD deliveries. Which would make this the most rapid return on investment of any weapon delivery.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 13, 2023, 03:41:53 pm »

Geesh, does the 'only move forward' doctrine now also apply to Russian airplanes? Fly back towards Russia and you will be shot!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2023, 04:14:14 pm »

While we now that Ukraine never engages targets in Russia. It is war between Bryansk People Republic and Belgorod People Republic (for the right to be the only one BPR), I doubt that even Russian can friendly-fire five aircrafts
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 04:24:46 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2023, 04:18:56 pm »

Great news. We had some quality targets recently. Last week attacks on Russian oil facilities and rail infrastructure, with symbolic drone landing on top of Russia's one of the most secure place, the Kremlin. With sad victory day, then reversal of fortunes on the line in Bakhmut with much friendly fire by Prigozin over Russian air waves (how long until he will be thrown out of window?!) With much talk about long range missiles, followed by reports of facilities blowing up (and possibly high ranking individual injured) in occupied Luhansk, and planes droping to the north in Russia.  There also seem to be psychological games in crimea. I like it.

Reports I'm seeing suggest that it was Russia that shot down the two Russian jets and three Russian helicopters

What we know is that they were shot in a very close proximity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personally, I am inclined to believe Strongpoint proposition especially if they got careless following a routine path, but IF what you say is true then there is also another outlandish possibility, could they be defectors?
https://news.yahoo.com/this-is-like-a-movie-ukraines-secret-plan-to-convince-3-russian-pilots-to-defect-with-their-planes-030018349.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 04:21:57 pm by jipehog »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2023, 04:27:43 pm »

While we now that Ukraine never engages targets in Russia. It is war between Bryansk People Republic and Belgorod People Republic (for the right to be the only one BPR), I doubt that even Russian can friendly-fire five aircrafts

It isn't that outlandish if they're ultra paranoid about incoming missiles, especially when the missiles are hard to pick up and they know that the other guy has sophisticated decoys. If you just open up on anything you see, you can take down a lot of your own planes.

Meanwhile, pushing forward a S-300 like I've seen suggested would be really risky for the potential gain, and you'd need to infiltrate a lot of MANPAD systems to pull off this much result.

In other air defense news, it is not only confirmed that Patriot systems shot down an incoming Killjoy hypersonic missile, it is all but confirmed that the Killjoy was targeted on the Patriot site itself.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2023, 02:56:39 pm »

Turkish election is nothing compare to this change

@Lord Shonus, sorry poorly phrased, I meant that my plug for the spy novel story is the outlandish option. Also I still believe that Strongpoint assessment that it is long-range SAM is the most likely.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 14, 2023, 06:40:30 pm »

Turkish election is nothing compare to this change

@Lord Shonus, sorry poorly phrased, I meant that my plug for the spy novel story is the outlandish option. Also I still believe that Strongpoint assessment that it is long-range SAM is the most likely.
No idea what that means.  If you're referring to the Ukrainian Peace Plan, it's no different than the proposal at the beginning of the war. If anything, I think it might be broader, with the call for Russian War Criminals to be tried.

Not really new at all, unless you call 6 months "new"

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 14, 2023, 06:53:07 pm »

It show Zelenski as president of Russia..

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2023, 07:00:35 pm »

It show Zelenski as president of Russia..
Oh, that would be called foreshadowing, LOL.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2023, 10:50:58 pm »

In late January, with his mercenary forces dying by the thousands in a fight for the ruined city of Bakhmut, Wagner Group owner Yevgeniy Prigozhin made Ukraine an extraordinary offer.

Prigozhin said that if Ukraine’s commanders withdrew their soldiers from the area around Bakhmut, he would give Kyiv information on Russian troop positions, which Ukraine could use to attack them. Prigozhin conveyed the proposal to his contacts in Ukraine’s military intelligence directorate, with whom he has maintained secret communications during the course of the war, according to previously unreported U.S. intelligence documents leaked on the group-chat platform Discord.

More here - https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/05/14/prigozhin-wagner-ukraine-leaked-documents/

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 15, 2023, 12:01:46 am »

Let's see, place your bets. Is it:
A) A really stupid attempt to trick Ukraine into giving him a break?
B) Some sort of fake leak generated to give Putin an excuse to defenestration him?
C) Sheer batshit insanity?
D) Some combination of the above?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2023, 12:57:28 am »

I feel like this is the part where we yell "It's a trap!"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2023, 02:08:36 am »

I think it’s fake news trying to separate the leader of the cannon fodder from Putin.

Hopefully it works. If Putin’s only choice is to put raw recruits on the frontlines, that’s going to piss off even more wives and mothers.

The alternative is that Prigozhin is so mercenary he’s willing to invoke the wrath of Putin, and I’m not sure he’s that bananas. He’ll be avoiding windows for a while I imagine.

In other news, Zelensky has been continuing his relentless pressure on European leaders to continue supporting the Ukrainian defensive effort recently, visiting Italy, the Vatican, Germany, France, and now a surprise UK visit. I know nothing about his effectiveness as a leader, but he’s doing a pretty good job of keeping this at the forefront of the minds world leaders.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 159