Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 208984 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2023, 03:25:15 pm »

The café in st. Petersburg was once owned by Wagner's leader Jevgeni Prigozjin.
Could have been rebels, could have been an angry Russian Defense minister, could have been Ukraine, could have been disgruntled Wagner mercs, could have been anyone.
Take your pick.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2023, 03:28:44 pm »

Take your pick.
Thats so Trotskyish...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2023, 04:48:47 pm »

Uh, that's terrorism, though.

I don't think bombing cafés is a good development.

Not great, but this war is no stranger to blowing up civilians for effectively no reason or gain. So this doesn't strike me as particularly new.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2023, 05:53:26 pm »

Do we even know it was Russian rebels? For all we know Putin could have organized it explicitly for propaganda, its not beyond him.

The FSB was what came first into my mind. Haven't several pro-war bloggers been criticizing Putin quite a bit?

Uh, that's terrorism, though.

I don't think bombing cafés is a good development.

Not great, but this war is no stranger to blowing up civilians for effectively no reason or gain. So this doesn't strike me as particularly new.

Yeah. They're in war and civilians are being bombed in that war. Not really that different from Ukrainian civilians being blown up by Russia. Though some tweets claimed there was a pro-war event or something in the café with the guy speaking (no idea if true, nor does it make it anymore justified to bomb civilians, but neither am I shedding tears if they were pro-war).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2023, 05:56:45 pm »

According to the BBC the bomb was in a statue that was presented to him at the event.

As martinuzz said, it was at a cafe formerly owned by Prigozhin, in Putin’s home city. Chances are this was for him being critical of the war effort, not by Ukraine, ‘cause they gain nothing from it, militarily or otherwise.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2023, 06:06:15 pm »

A bomb in a statue seems more like someone else than rebels/partisans.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2023, 06:27:02 pm »

Isn't this the second Wagner hangout that got bombed?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2023, 08:55:29 pm »

Sounds like the Cafe was hosting an event for a pro-Russian 'Cyber' group at the time.

"Cyber Front Z, a group calling itself "Russia's information troops" on Telegram, said it had hired out the cafe for the evening.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65155075

From what Google says, they're basically a Russian Troll Farm. Honestly not surprising this kind of targetting would happen when Russia has gone out of it's way to blur away the line between official government propagandists and civilians...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:59:10 pm by MorleyDev »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2023, 10:40:57 pm »

Do we even know it was Russian rebels? For all we know Putin could have organized it explicitly for propaganda, its not beyond him.

Especially as a bombing. If you wanted one guy in one cafe rebels would hurt their own image less by knifing or shooting him.

He wasn't just sitting in a cafe with a bunch of random people. It was an event with his fans who came to see him. Those people shared his views and consider war to be a good thing and I love that they got a little taste of what war really is.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2023, 12:27:42 am »

Ah, i see. Thats understandable really
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2023, 01:10:06 am »

He was a bank robber that was rising in the Russian political scene. Ok, I'm glad they killed Future Stalin.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2023, 01:13:44 am »

In the end we're probably never gonna know who was behind it, but in the end it doesn't really matter since it isn't that big a deal that a bunch of pro-Putin dicks are dead.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2023, 04:00:58 am »

Fomin was one of the most significant Russian milbloggers with a Telegram platform of 560,000 followers and deep connections with the Wagner Group, the Kremlin, the Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR), and the Russian nationalists who have been dominating the Russian information space since the start of the Russian full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Fomin’s assassination at a Wagner-affiliated bar in St. Petersburg may reveal further fractures within the Kremlin and its inner circle. Fomin was a vocal critic of the Russian military command and the Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD). Fomin’s death marks the first high-profile assassination of an ultranationalist milblogger in Russia since the start of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-2-2023

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2023, 05:22:55 am »

My bet is on the Kremlin was behind it, for all his criticism of military command
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2023, 05:45:52 am »

Yeah, he was from the category of "military bloggers" who are not only fully supporting the war and advocating for genocide but also call Russian generals morons and traitors who should be punished for failures.

Strelkov-Girkin may be next. I am amazed that he is still alive.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 159