Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209123 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2023, 12:44:51 am »

Oh.

Hey.

Prigozhin through window?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2023, 01:01:19 am »

Russia doesn't have the resources to actively fight in Georgia but they have already invested resources in pro-Russian groups within Georgia. Conflict in Georgia can only benefit Russia.

I do not know. But I did heard arguments that Russia was seeking to start another front to undermine Western interest. Moldova was often talked about, and more recently talks of Wagner doing shading stuff in Serbia for example.

Otherwise I find the Caucasus to be a very interesting place where Russia, Turkey and Iran are competing with opposing interests. More recently it seem that Russia seeks to establish a new sanction busting transcontinental trade corridor southward to Iran via the Caucasus. With the trio recently holding some high level summit, with announcement of many cooperation agreements at least on paper.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 03:03:03 am by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2023, 02:50:48 am »

Russia doesn't have the resources to actively fight in Georgia but they have already invested resources in pro-Russian groups within Georgia. Conflict in Georgia can only benefit Russia.

Russia got a pro-Russian government in Georgia, way more pro-Russian than the population (Note that both the aggression against Ukraine and Russians who fled from mobilization to Georgia made the local population more anti-Russian than before.)

No, Russia does not want a political crisis in Georgia that may put another government in charge.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2023, 01:36:39 pm »

https://twitter.com/PMSimferopol/status/1634111915596173312

Like how Russian official Twitter accounts post cartoon-villain level threats, Empty threats

Guys, last time when you invaded Georgia, you used 70+K troops. Do you really think you can pull that away from the frontlines? I approve this idea.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2023, 06:58:44 pm »

Russia can do a whole lot of damage to Georgia without making a single shot.

Also they can retaliate by annexing Abkhazia and South Ossetia (they wouldn't even need to falsify a referendum) which could lead to escalation that isn't likely to benefit Georgia and may not benefit the west.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2023, 07:16:35 pm »

Russia can do a whole lot of damage to Georgia without making a single shot.

Also they can retaliate by annexing Abkhazia and South Ossetia (they wouldn't even need to falsify a referendum) which could lead to escalation that isn't likely to benefit Georgia and may not benefit the west.

I fail to see how the second part changes anything for Georgia. De facto annexed territories over which Georgia has no control or hope to get them back will stay that way. And it is even more mysterious for me how it hurts "The West"

And yes, Russia can hurt Georgia economically or via other non-military action but I don't think the tweet is saying that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2023, 10:13:59 pm »

Dudes, stay off twitcher.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2023, 02:47:35 am »

Twitter doesn't seem like a trust worthy news source, I'm still not really sure why people still take that shit hole seriously.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2023, 03:06:25 am »

Twitter doesn't seem like a trust worthy news source, I'm still not really sure why people still take that shit hole seriously.

Twitter is merely a medium to reach news sources, not a news source. And it is great in this role. (even if it is dying even if it is being murdered)

It is also a great place to see which narratives are pushed and by whom.

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2023, 03:43:26 am »

It's also great as a medium to reach dogma sources, liars, crazy people, and lots and lots of art of varying degrees of quality. But the filter bubbles inherent in its system are blinders that completely blot out certain narratives, diminish others, and re-frame yet more to appear to be something they're not. It's a mess. A lively, thriving mess that needs more competitors.

I'm surprised at how reserved this thread is. Fewer theses, soapboxes, and Definitives than I normally see online. This is the kind of online discussion I've been missing for years.
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2023, 04:49:21 am »

I'm surprised at how reserved this thread is. Fewer theses, soapboxes, and Definitives than I normally see online. This is the kind of online discussion I've been missing for years.
Just wait until the next guy in our local Putinist Tag Team comes here...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2023, 07:33:46 am »

That's why this thread is my personal major news source about this war. <3

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2023, 11:40:57 am »

Some amusing stuff:

We have a website with petitions to the president. You know, usual stuff with 99% of proposals being silly nonsense with a few dozen of signatures. But sometimes some things get 25K signatures. One of those is petition to rename Russian Federation into Muscovy in all official Ukrainian documents. And it got a usual answer, something along the lines of "I'll ask the PM to look into the possibility"

But butthurt in the Russian segment of social networks (up to Zakharova and Medveded) is so entertaining to watch.

Also, we got a draft law allowing "civil partnership" for same-sex couples, which gives some rights* of married couples (making it marriage would require changing the constitution which is hard in peacetime and prohibited during martial law) and it will take a long time before it will be a law. But still, it is amazing how few give any Fs, at any other time it would be a huge shitstorm.

*notably it doesn't count as a marriage for the purposes of adopting children.

I am skeptical that it will go through any time soon but I like the direction.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2023, 12:09:18 pm »

Some amusing stuff:

We have a website with petitions to the president. You know, usual stuff with 99% of proposals being silly nonsense with a few dozen of signatures. But sometimes some things get 25K signatures. One of those is petition to rename Russian Federation into Muscovy in all official Ukrainian documents. And it got a usual answer, something along the lines of "I'll ask the PM to look into the possibility"

But butthurt in the Russian segment of social networks (up to Zakharova and Medveded) is so entertaining to watch.

Could you explain the butthurt? As I understand, Muscovy was one of the predecessor political entities of current Russia. While I would certainly think someone referring to Germany as Prussia, for example, to be strange or stupid, depending on their intent, I don't think I would feel offended very much. Is the use of Muscovy somehow derogatory, or is it just the usual nationlistic pride?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 12:13:42 pm by Ganondworf »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2023, 12:25:10 pm »

It's like if, back when the Holy Roman Empire existed, in its late period when it was just the German states, Italians said 'oh, YOU are the ROMAN empire? That's sweet hon, but I think we'll call you Germania'. /helpfulanalogy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 159