Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209200 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2023, 05:53:49 am »

Adam Delimchanov, right hand of Chechen leader Ramzam Kadyrov has been wounded or killed by a missile strike. Ukrainian forces stumbled upon his convoy and opened fire on it.
Ramzam Kadyrov writes on his Telegram channel that 'he is unable to contact his dear brother Delimchanov'.
Funnily enough, he asks the Ukrainian intelligence services to provide him with details and location of the attack.
L rip bozo
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 15, 2023, 02:03:53 am »

They seem to be dropping like flies all the sudden.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 15, 2023, 07:23:43 pm »

It's open season again. Hopefully they drive the oligarchy extinct this year, as unlikely as that is.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 16, 2023, 10:59:56 am »

I like this story: Over 10K Russian Soldiers Earn Cash Payouts for Destroyed or Captured Equipment – Defense Ministry

Meanwhile: War and SPIEF: Russia's Flagship Economic Forum Flatlines
 * Apparently presentation of the new Russian LADA at the forum
 * Can't find a link but they also unveiled Russian AI Chatbot based on deceased far-right party leader.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 11:03:35 am by jipehog »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 17, 2023, 11:53:44 am »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 18, 2023, 08:56:57 am »

Over the course of the war I have started becoming ashamed of even being Russian, culturally. I hate my country's culture, I mean most Soviet and some modern stuff is okay but I fucking despise just about anything from before 1914. I hate Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky's books for example. Even destroyed the few I still had.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 18, 2023, 09:39:10 am »

Crime and Punishment is bullshit tbh. If Raskolnikov had shut the fuck up it'd have been a surprisingly effective heist. The novel is not so much a refutation of Raskolnikov's fascistic ideas about "great men" as it is a demonstration that Raskolnikov himself is a pathethic individual prone to both panic and rash decisions.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 18, 2023, 09:57:20 am »

All of it is overrated. Foreign classic literature is sometimes alright.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 18, 2023, 10:25:14 am »

Over the course of the war I have started becoming ashamed of even being Russian, culturally. I hate my country's culture, I mean most Soviet and some modern stuff is okay but I fucking despise just about anything from before 1914. I hate Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky's books for example. Even destroyed the few I still had.

A strange take. I can't find anything more bland than Soviet culture and art except what Russia produced between 1991 and now which is a mix of the worst elements of Soviet times and bad copies of Western stuff.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 18, 2023, 10:56:29 am »

As far as soviet media is concerned, only stuff I've ever really stumbled into was the Roadside Picnic, the Stalker movie, and a band called Aria that came about when late soviet polices made it possible for rock and metal bands to go public.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 18, 2023, 11:44:28 am »

Note that USSR, a huge empire, a superpower with numerous allies and puppets, was unable to contribute to the world's mass culture in a meaningful way. Well, nothing is not exactly correct, there are minor things like Tetris (but is it a Soviet thing or a brilliant idea of one guy?) but there is nothing of the scale of, let's say, Japanese Anime.

You won't find any noticeable traces of Soviet culture in modern Poland or Vietnam or post-colonial Africa or Cuba. Why? Because it was bland and empty.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 18, 2023, 12:12:16 pm »

I like some Soviet movies, and Soviet sci-fi e.g Strugatsky Brothers books. They're not really world culture but the country was closed. They're certainly not dull to me. Sure a lot of it can be a bit bland but earlier Russian culture is outright garbage only worthy of obliteration, including the "great" novels. They were so bad that they convinced me to only ever read science fiction and fantasy just to not associate with them.

Current Russian mass culture is bad but some independent stuff is good. Soviet era was imo the golden age. The comedy movies are hilarious.

But nowadays as part of my cultural self-obliteration I am mostly consuming Western media anyways.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 18, 2023, 01:21:43 pm »

You won't find any noticeable traces of Soviet culture in modern Poland
The Palace of Culture and Science says hello.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 18, 2023, 01:30:04 pm »

I sometimes have the same feelings about being a Republican in America, when I see Trumpers in action.  There are plenty of decent moderate Republicans, they just don't get a lot of air time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 18, 2023, 01:46:35 pm »

Also, the Strugatskis are friggin' awesome. Soviet era S-F was generally excellent.
Goddamnit, I'mma gonna go and listen to some sovietwave now.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 159