Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 160

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 213790 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1905 on: February 21, 2024, 10:57:55 pm »

Russian nationalist war blogger Andrej Morozov has apparently comitted suicide after being forced to remove a post on Telegram about the high Russian death toll for the 5 month battle to occupy Avdiivka (he stated 16000 Russian soldiers were killed and 300 armoured vehicles were lost.

His message gave rise to severe critisism by high ranking Russian propagandists, who accused the blogger, who has more than 100000 followers, of slander.

Today, several sources reported that Morozov is dead. According to his lawyer, Maxim Pashkov, he shot himself. He says the reason for his death is can be found in the many Telegram messages he left prior to his death, accusing his superiours of forcing him to remove messages about high casualties, and accusing generals of sacrificing thousands of soldiers just so they can be decorated and promoted.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 21, 2024, 11:06:52 pm »

Currently, as I see it, Biden is For Ukraine, and Trump is Against Ukraine.

Biden is pro-war and Trump is anti-war.

Trump has said he'd end the war in a day (doubtful.) He hasn't stated what the terms for peace would be, but there's no way Ukraine would accept Russia gaining territory. It's possible Russia wouldn't end up paying war damages or facing justice, but there's still a deterrent if they lost so much for nothing.

Letting Ukraine bleed so that Russia can bleed isn't entirely pro-Ukraine.

Mmm hmm.

That's a lot of words to avoid saying "Look, Trump supports stealing hundreds of thousands of children.  Why do you oppose that?"

Put down the crack pipe, please.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 21, 2024, 11:40:38 pm »

I have friends who like living in Montana, so I'd believe someone could like living in Siberia.
In fact, I'd probably like living there if it wasn't, you know, Russia.

I bet the cost of living's real cheap.
(2nd) Captain Vasili Borodin of Red October stated that he wanted to retire to Montana. (Not possible, in the film. My book's elsewhere, so can't check if he also said it in that, though I think (from memory) that at he would at least get the opportunity to do so, at the expense of another.)

Not sure where he is supposed to be from (if Lithuanians sound Scottish, then where in the USSR sounds like an Irish-born-kiwi-actually-trying-a-soviet-accent?).

Really, I'm sure Kharp is a nice place, outwith the prison. And nearby Salekhard, which is at least partly not north of the Arctic Circle, and only has problems from defrosting anthrax-corpses during hot years. ;)  Horses for courses, of course. (Or reindeer!)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 22, 2024, 12:53:24 am »

Put down the crack pipe, please.

Mmm hmm.

Wanna tell me what this is, right here?

Spoiler: Captured "Shrimp" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Answer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:15:42 am by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 22, 2024, 12:54:40 am »

Russian nationalist war blogger Andrej Morozov has apparently comitted suicide after being forced to remove a post on Telegram about the high Russian death toll for the 5 month battle to occupy Avdiivka (he stated 16000 Russian soldiers were killed and 300 armoured vehicles were lost.

His message gave rise to severe critisism by high ranking Russian propagandists, who accused the blogger, who has more than 100000 followers, of slander.

Today, several sources reported that Morozov is dead. According to his lawyer, Maxim Pashkov, he shot himself. He says the reason for his death is can be found in the many Telegram messages he left prior to his death, accusing his superiours of forcing him to remove messages about high casualties, and accusing generals of sacrificing thousands of soldiers just so they can be decorated and promoted.

Good to see those FSO guys are getting a workout after fleeing Ukraine.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 22, 2024, 02:16:08 am »

My reverse image searching tells me that the Shrimp is an ASM Val. Very interesting, I haven't heard of this gun before. Thank you for sharing this photo.
Max avatar size is 80x80

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 22, 2024, 02:59:17 am »

I like how after a bit all these threads like this devolve into dumpster fires of people arguing about some small detail that in the long run doesn't really matter or mean a damn thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 22, 2024, 04:14:02 am »

It is until some major event.

When news devolve to some minor Russian war criminal committing or "committing" suicide, we can say that it became stale. I myself don't register death of ~100 Russians killed in one strike as something worth of reporting, it is routine that can't produce meaningful discussion. Same goes for civilian casualties... they still damn hurt but talking about them seems so, so pointless.

Also, two-year anniversary of the large-scale war is coming. It means that my feeds in social networks will be full not only of "my brother\friend\son died" and "on this day a year ago" but also "on this day two years ago". Exactly what I need for my mental health((

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 22, 2024, 05:04:23 am »

That does sound very unfortunate for sure. Take care of your mental health boss. I hope you feel better.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 22, 2024, 11:38:20 am »

My reverse image searching tells me that the Shrimp is an ASM Val. Very interesting, I haven't heard of this gun before. Thank you for sharing this photo.

(Rarer weapon than a Val.  The extra siderails makes it a SR-3MP, hence 'Shrimp.'  Like anything decent made in Russia, they can't make hardly any of them.  And, as you'd expect it, these are reserved for basically his bodyguard and murder units.  They do look almost like Vals, though, so calling it one isn't far off.)

(..That particular one was captured, and as I mentioned, you don't see these units fighting in Ukraine anymore.  They buggered off to leave the dying to the serfs.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 22, 2024, 11:45:50 am »

People who were arrested for placing flowers at memorials for Navalny have been sentenced to join the army and will be sent to Ukraine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:16 pm »

So do the police or whoever makes these arrests actually believe they are doing the right thing, or are they just given heaps of cash, or are they also afraid what might happen if they don't make the arrests, or do they just like making people suffer?

I can't wrap my head around this.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 22, 2024, 12:36:10 pm »

Russian cops are corrupt, the bribes they take allow them to live an upper class lifestyle. I know this because I used to provide expensive services for one. I think they abandoned the concept of doing the right thing a long time ago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:38:00 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 22, 2024, 01:28:46 pm »

So do the police or whoever makes these arrests actually believe they are doing the right thing, or are they just given heaps of cash, or are they also afraid what might happen if they don't make the arrests, or do they just like making people suffer?

I can't wrap my head around this.

None of the above. They don't think. They go with the flow.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:37:08 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 22, 2024, 01:55:53 pm »

People who were arrested for placing flowers at memorials for Navalny have been sentenced to join the army and will be sent to Ukraine.
I can't seem to find any evidence of this, can you give a source?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 160