Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 212685 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1605 on: December 08, 2023, 08:24:59 am »

Yeah, that's my optics too. The top dogs will make sure the elections will be 'free and fair', with the correct turnout, whether the populace goes to the booths or not. But it stirs one's blood somewhat differently when you've voted against the system, and you've seen many people around you do the same - only for your votes to be erased - than when you've already given in to apathy.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 09, 2023, 03:52:35 pm »

It is worth noting that public opinion didn't matter at all under the Tsars. Until suddenly in 1917 public opinion mattered a hell of a lot. Public opinion didn't matter at all under the Soviet Union, until suddenly in 1989 it mattered a hell of a lot.

Any autocratic regime that openly ignores the opinion of the people it rules does so at great peril, which is why Putin's Russia uses sham elections to draw legitimacy in the first place. Inroads to that legitimacy are a much bigger threat than people realize.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 10, 2023, 03:41:35 am »

I will vote next election. Might as well. Walking is good exercise, at the very least.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 10, 2023, 10:15:24 am »

Do people face any pressure to vote for Putin, or threats if they don't?  Or do the elections appear to be totally fair and without coercion?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 10, 2023, 11:55:23 am »

Relative to North Korea, positively free. (Noting that KJU's vote-share reduced to a pathetically low 99.91%, in the recent election, v.s. ...nobody.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 10, 2023, 12:06:11 pm »

Do people face any pressure to vote for Putin, or threats if they don't?  Or do the elections appear to be totally fair and without coercion?
Russian elections are merely "counted" in a "correct" way. Everything else is always democratic-looking.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: December 10, 2023, 11:15:23 pm »

Those voting against Putin probably will not face oppression or threats unless they attempt to verify vote counts or organize others to verify the votes. If a region votes primarily against Putin, the region might suffer.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 11, 2023, 06:22:41 am »

Yeah I never heard of anyone facing any real consequences for not voting for United Russia. We're not that far gone (yet).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: December 11, 2023, 08:32:00 am »

You might be constripted however
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 11, 2023, 10:19:04 am »

You might be constripted however
I'm exempt for several reasons, mainly being female, only men get conscripted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 11, 2023, 12:39:47 pm »

And here I thought Russia's fighting forces were egalitarian. Guess I've watched too many movies.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 12, 2023, 04:08:23 am »

I bet if the war goes on long enough they'll start letting women get conscripted into the army.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 12, 2023, 09:44:01 am »

I was just wondering about that actually, but assumed that in seriousness it wouldn't get to that point.  Russian culture is very "traditional" in that regard, isn't it?  Women aren't allowed in combat positions in the Russian army, right?

I feel like it would be a turning point in public favor against the war if they tried.

Of course, they also have literally millions of people they can burn through before that would be needed so I don't think we'd see it anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 12, 2023, 12:27:32 pm »

I think counting on a highly corrupt and lgbtphobic regime not throwing you into the meat grinder could be construed as overconfidence.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 12, 2023, 12:44:37 pm »

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I've witnessed an attempted justification of ethnic cleansing that boiled down to "But it's OK if *we* do it!"

In this case, taking parts of Russia and deporting the local Russian population.

In other news, Donald Tusk is calling for more to be done to help Ukraine. Not convinced it'll result in anything, but I hope.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 159