Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 210680 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #1290 on: August 22, 2023, 04:35:22 pm »

Why hasn't Russia adapted to fielding somesort of anti-drone defense? The fact that Ukraine is doing so much damage with drones this war is absolutely crazy..

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 22, 2023, 05:26:11 pm »

Why hasn't Russia adapted to fielding somesort of anti-drone defense? The fact that Ukraine is doing so much damage with drones this war is absolutely crazy..

Doing so is easier said than done. Russia presumably already has more than a few anti-drone systems in place, we're just hearing about the ones that don't get shot down. Kind of like how IEDs kept blowing up convoys and checkpoints in the Middle East, it's hard to catch all of them even when you know to expect them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 22, 2023, 06:23:00 pm »

Doing so is easier said than done. Russia presumably already has more than a few anti-drone systems in place, we're just hearing about the ones that don't get shot down. Kind of like how IEDs kept blowing up convoys and checkpoints in the Middle East, it's hard to catch all of them even when you know to expect them.
Notably, there was a recent news item about them putting up new drone jammers around the Moscow area, so it seems they are doing more.
Anti-drone defense is hard, though, at least if you also want to be able to use your own technology in the same place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 22, 2023, 08:43:54 pm »

Apparently it's common, around places like the Kremlin, for your GPS (or GloNaSS) to tell you that you're miles away from where you'd know you were, what with the jammers/spoofers.

Of course, relying purely (and credulously) upon satellite positioning is probably not what the systems involve do. Some inertial self-tracking probably sanity-checks the signal (may even take over, with dead-reckoning, if it detects the correlations going screwy), and if the platform involved has two-way communications with any sort of video then there's probably a way for the experienced operator to make their own real-time decisions that can deal with anything but either physical interception or tight-beam electronic jamming/frying. (This seems to be how the USVs operate, but UAVs may have less payload fraction available for the necessary equipment redundancy.)

Minds more knowledgable than mine will have some idea exactly what measures/counter-measures/counter-counter-measures/etc are employed by all parties involved, but it'll surely be an arms-race on its own as circumstances dynamically evolve.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 22, 2023, 08:46:00 pm »

There have also been stories of both sides repurposing Anti-Aircraft weapons as Anti-Drone weapons.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 22, 2023, 08:53:43 pm »

That's not even a repurposing, as drones are, in fact, aircraft. The main issue is that most extant AA systems are poorly suited to dealing with small drones, and larger ones are often able to hide in legitimate traffic and ground clutter like any other aircraft.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 23, 2023, 02:30:54 am »

It is becoming a daily thing now.
Moscow has again shut down it's airspace. All flights have been cancelled until further notice, after a nightly explosion in the centre of Moscow.
According to Moscow's mayor, a drone hit a building under construction in the centre of Moscow.

(on the melody of smoke weed every day)
Bomb Moscow every day
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 23, 2023, 04:38:16 am »

The thrilling excitement of future combat is now! Watch in aw as a guy sitting behind a desk commands his kamikaze drone to smack into a building and explode.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 23, 2023, 06:12:30 am »

Tonight's attack on Ukraine's grain infrastructure was only 100 meters away from article 5.
On the other side of the Donau river lies NATO member Romania, at 100 meters distance.
If only one of those 9 Shahed drones (5 were intercepted, 4 got through defenses) had missed target by 100 meters it could have been WW3.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 06:16:06 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 23, 2023, 06:15:22 am »

Tonight's attack on Ukraine's grain infrastructure was only 100 meters away from article 5.
On the other side of the Donau river lies NATO member Romania, at 100 meters distance.
If only one of those 9 Shahed drones had missed target by 100 meters it could have been WW3.

No, it would have been deeply concerned NATO
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 23, 2023, 12:06:12 pm »

A business jet belonging to Prigozhin crashed in Russia. It is not yet known if he was on board.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 23, 2023, 12:30:16 pm »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66599733

Reports that he was on board, shot down by air defenses north of Moscow, though that comes from Wagner.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 23, 2023, 12:35:18 pm »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66599733

Reports that he was on board, shot down by air defenses north of Moscow, though that comes from Wagner.
Yeah, there are many claims that Prigozhin and\or Utkin were on the plane but no solid confirmation yet.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:12:42 pm by Strongpoint »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2023, 12:45:11 pm »

TASS is claiming that he was onboard and that there were no survivors, according to people I know that speak Russian. Pictures of the crash appear to show the plane having only one wing at the time. It looks very likely that Russia deliberately shot it down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 159