Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first adventure  (Read 1545 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first adventure
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:52:00 am »

So I carefully planned my dwarf and took special care to choose a name I liked, and started in a dwarf town near one of my old fortresses. Nobody in the dwarf town really had anything to say to me, telling me if I wanted to trade I should find a merchant. So I found a guy who was a merchant and he also told me I should try to find a merchant. At that point I figured there was nothing for me in this unfathomable maze of a dwarf town, where you can go upstairs, east and then downstairs and somehow end up west of your origional position. So I left town and walk around the map until I was assaulted by a large capital 'B'. I didn't really know what to do, so I pressed shift-W in hopes of using my crossbow. As soon as I did this, the map suddenly went flashy blue and I was informed that I had drowned. Game over.

Fun stuff.

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Andrelius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

It's a polar bear. You were on a glacier. You got the bug where the entire glacier melts.

At least I think..

Press l to look around and get familiar so you can see what those tiles represent.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

right now, there are no dwarf shops.  you cna only trade with human merchants when they are in their shops.  in human towns.

also, the multiple levels in the game are just a placeholder.  up and down make sense in caves and ruins, but not in dwarf-forts or reclaim.  they just arbitrarily seperate parts of the fort with stairs to make it seem pseudo-3d, and also to make it less familiar (possible to get lost) when you are adventuring through one of your old forts.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

Hey Puke, I like that last point (removing the familiarity), but I didn't think those actually were stairs in the fortresses? I thought they were just screen seams...?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

well, they happen in odd places and rotate you strangely when you go through them.  call them what you will.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 04:59:00 am »

Yeah, much better than my fist adventurer.
That unlucky dwarf walked into the world map without even knowing there was a town. And soon he got ambushed by 4 or 5 wolves and died.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

quote:
Yeah, much better than my fist adventurer.
That unlucky dwarf walked into the world map without even knowing there was a town. And soon he got ambushed by 4 or 5 wolves and died.

That sounds exactly like my first game of Baldur's Gate.

If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

Clearly you needed to use Magic Missile.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

Into the darkness, or something.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

In my first "adventure" game i walked around not familiar with the controls yet, found the button for entering a area. Got hit by goblins a couple of times and my guts riped out.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Most of my adventurers died quite easily. They didn't get much more luck than the first guy.

Until one day I decided to backup save files. I saved quite often, especially before quests. But that character(a legendary thrower) just didn't die, until, I didn't backup for a long time again, the character was killed by some undead humans, just because he was tired out.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

My first adventure? Quickstart, hmm, what are the w's? Ah! wilves. and I see one, two, three, four, well, lets go this way then, ouch, uht-oh, here comes another.
'you punch the wolf'
my but that was ineffective
*more chompyness*
you have died

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

I treat my adventures only slightly better than the drunks. I guess it's true, losing IS fun! Especial when it isn't your personal guts shooting out of anything. plus, you get to loot your own corpse when you restart! It's just like a MMORPG, but no griefers!
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

Tried my first serious adventure today with a hammer dwarf, with hammer and shild skill of 10.

It's so bloody fun fighting seeing creatures flying around, special fighthing undead seeing bones flying anywhere. Still need to learn some more controls, don't know how to wrestle or attack specific part.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?