Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rise of the Mighty  (Read 2419 times)

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mighty
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 10:27:47 pm »

Cannons wouldn't be much use without the crews to man them. After a crash course from Quintina, Dathuil begins training volunteers to operate the new guns. (Knowledge miracle to learn gunnery and teach it to the gun crews for this fight. 2/3 effort remain.)

Dathuil knew that if Cera-Sim's persuasion and the defensive arrangements failed he wouldn't be much good in a stand up fight, but perhaps he could provide a distraction. Hiding himself he waited where he'd be able to see the captain.
(Stay out of sight and try to get a view of the captain to be able to use Many Faces.)

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 12:53:38 am »

When (or if) The Terror and her crew pass through the turbulent waters of Argevil's making, they will be greeted by a beach much closer than they were first expecting, as their ship runs aground on sandbars made anew. -1 Effort.

Stand upon the sandbars in the making and prepare to perform a magic trick with the ship's hull once negotiations break down.
Otherwise, just look around. It's still novel seeing anything other than sand, even if now is most certainly not the time to be staring at the fish.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 05:11:35 pm »

Argevil: (4,4,6)
Underneath the water, Argevil stretches out with his power to the sky above. Dark clouds roll in as the pirate rowboats make their way through the water, and within moments the force of the wind and waves increases, battering the boats  and their panicking occupants. While some debate heading back towards the ship, Captain Redfear pushes one dissenter over the side and orders them to make way towards the shore. They battle their way through after long minutes, arriving bedraggled and exhausted just before the shore of Seatree, running aground on a sandbar, forcing them to wade through sand and seawater.

Where Cera-Sim waits to greet them.

Captain Redfear draws his pistol and presses it to Cera-Sim’s forehead, seawater trickling down the barrel. 

Greet the landers! Explain to them that they should consider a change in profession, because what they're doing is wrong.
Use my Conviction, and make it Desperate for fun gambling reasons.

"Hello, master-captain. I'm here to make an offer better than what you think to demand. For your own good, stop debasing yourselves with violence and stealing from the innocent. With your ship, you could easily turn a profit in peacefully trading in these hard times."

Cera-Sim: Desperate Roll! (5,6)

The pirate considers the teenage woman, and glances to the cannons aimed at their landing party before snorting and putting his pistol away.

“I like your guts kid. It’s hard being an honest man these days though, I’ve killed enough of them to know.” He looks back at his men and shrugs. “ Listen, we can’t come back empty handed or else the Pirate Queen is going to string me up. Give me a hundred barrels of fish and a handful of gold, and I’ll throw in a crate of pottery we took off some Kalibee traders.”

He gives you a broken grin. It’s a trade in the pirate’s favor, but better than outright extortion. (Village trades two wealth in exchange for 1.)  

Do you take this deal?
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 05:24:01 pm »

"Somehow I doubt your devotion to your own salvation. You'd deal with me and tomorrow go harm someone else. But still, it's better than nothing. Your queen, is she Mighty?"

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 05:53:27 pm »

"Somehow I doubt your devotion to your own salvation. You'd deal with me and tomorrow go harm someone else. But still, it's better than nothing. Your queen, is she Mighty?"

The captain nods.
“Aye, she is, trueborn get of Nyleth Reborn, goddess of the sea. She is the lord above the other pirate lords. The republic and their pet navigators keep the goddess in chains, and the Queen would see her mother set free.”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2023, 06:18:04 pm »

Commit effort, bring in copious amounts of food by calling a beast of the sea to come and beach itself.

And I'll take the deal. But haggle for more fish and less gold because this village isn't really material rich.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 10:32:03 pm »

Stand by and look commanding to help with the negotiation.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 10:39:02 pm »

A Complication

Manning the cannon under Quintina's exacting gaze, Maralis hissed at the sight of the pirate captain shaking hands with the young Cera-Sim. The weathered fisherwoman whirled to look at Quintina.

"That bastard took my son! My son, and Jon's girl, and Rivina! We can't just let them get away with it. We have the cannon, we should blow them out of the water, not making deals with them!"
She trembles with rage, her fingers inches from lighting the fuse to the cannon she mans.

Quintina, Dathuil, and potentially Rama are within earshot.

What do you do?

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 11:03:49 pm »

Dathuil places a hand on Maralis' shoulder. "We could fight, but the pirates will not be the only ones to die. Are you ready to make that decision for the town?
Let me speak with his men. A pirate captain serves only as long as his crew let him. I think I may be able to get them to consider a change in management."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2023, 11:15:17 pm »

There is no way Rama would intervene in this (except maybe to punch the captain), he's not what you'd call a "pick your battles" guy, so I think it's best if I just don't hear it. :P

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2023, 11:57:16 pm »

Quintina's happy to let Dathuil handle the talking. But if the lady still tries to fire the cannon... well, she'd have to be able to get at the fuse. Which can be difficult when somebody who doesn't want the fuse lit is moving the whole damn cannon around.
Not that she's doing that.

Yet.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2023, 11:25:06 am »

Dathuil places a hand on Maralis' shoulder. "We could fight, but the pirates will not be the only ones to die. Are you ready to make that decision for the town?
Let me speak with his men. A pirate captain serves only as long as his crew let him. I think I may be able to get them to consider a change in management."

Dathuil:(6)
Maralis calms herself after listening to Dathuil. She takes a deep breathe.
“Okay, I trust you. Just. . . If my son isn’t out there, make them pay. “
With that, the weathered woman gives the two mighty a nod and returns to her position by the cannon.

Cera-Sim: (3,4)
Captain Redfear sighs, rubbing his beard.
“I can’t just come back with barrels full of fish. If you don’t have the gold, I’ll need something else to keep the Queen happy.”

Need some sort of other good for Captain Redfear. Redfear patience running out: 1/4

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2023, 05:26:12 pm »

"I will be honest, that's not really my area of expertise. It looks like we have a lot of cannons, but I suspect selling those to you would just encourage you to use them. Do you require any crafted goods for your ship? We happen to have a very skilled tool maker. Quintina, could you come over?"

Call over Quintina so that she can sell them IDK sailing tools or whatever.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2023, 11:30:08 pm »

The pirate frigate comes as close as it can to the docks, and the crew begins the process of transferring the barrels of fish (and either gold or some other type of good) brought by the wary villagers. 

The Navigator broods from the deck of the ship, while Captain Redfear supervises his crew.

What do you do?
Might have a chance to sneak onto the ship if you want (sabotage or info gathering ) or having successfully stopped the extortion/raid bid them a fond farewell.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2023, 12:17:59 am »

Dathuil makes his way down to the docks and gossips with the pirates as they load up. In addition to finding any useful rumors, he also tries to learn what happened to the people taken from the town.

(I'm looking to get set up so I can use Haven't You Heard to plant a couple of nasty rumors that will spark a mutiny. Also just a reminder, now that I'm interacting with the pirates my aspect should let me know what rumors are spreading on the ship.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4