Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 15045 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Noblerivers: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »

A note about performances. I have no idea if you guys know about this yet or not but I feel like mentioning it on the chance you don't. Chax brought to my attention that every music form requires specific instruments and potentially multiple dwarves, whereas I thought it was as simple as putting a single dwarf as a performer and that would be that. More than that, poetry and dance forms are linked to specific musical forms.
Let me just put my two cents in on this one. Yes, performances technically need specific instruments - but as far as I know, dwarves can and will "simulate" such instruments if none are available. This is especially troublesome with handheld instruments, which may end up used once or twice in a tavern and then forgotten entirely (or at least, this could happen in 47.05; I don't know if Toady fixed this in 50.0x). Instruments that have to be placed down in the world to be played ("stationary" instruments) do not have this problem as far as I know. Generally speaking you will need multiple dwarves congregating in an area for them to start a performance, but visitors can and will join right in.
(Incidentally, in 47.05 I noticed it was possible for visitors to become so engrossed in guildhalls that they stayed long past the time their fellows left. If you have any guildhalls open to visitors, be aware they might stay a lot longer just to listen in and potentially do demonstrations of their own.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2023, 01:25:09 pm »

yeah sounds good sign me up for round 2 :] this place is really promising. I left the tavern and jail and clinic in tact because I wasn't sure if I could replace them on my turn. also I didn't want to destroy your lovely tavern! which turned out to be a good thing because I did end up running out of time.

I think we should STRIVE for having all the instruments. I bought one of the gongs from the traders. It shouldn't be too tough as we have full material access on this embark - silk, cloth, metals.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2023, 01:27:39 pm »

Any forms native to your civilization can have their instruments be made at home if you have the materials. To be extra sure, though, you'd need cloth (of all types), clay, and sand on top of the obvious ones like wood and stone. Some instruments also use metal. (Note that, at least as far as I know, it is not yet possible to make home-made glass instruments/instrument pieces out of anything but green glass, even though traders can bring such instruments/instrument pieces made from other types of glass. Toady could have fixed this in 50.0x? I haven't really played 50.0x much yet.)
Tip: for all but the one-piece instruments, you can see what ones you have and what they need in a craftsdwarf's workshop in the "assemble instrument" menu.
One-piece instruments are made at their respective workshops and as such can't be seen in the craftsdwarf's workshop unless they would be made there.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2023, 01:32:27 pm »

wait, do we have clay? I didn't think to check on my turn!

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2023, 01:46:31 pm »

Pretty sure the top soil layers are clay. I made sure to have it as a resource before embarking.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2023, 01:47:25 pm »

Even if you don't, it can be bought from caravans if they have access to it, though you may need to specifically request it to get a meaningful amount. Fire clay is the best kind.
Similarly, bags of sand can be acquired from caravans.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2023, 02:09:29 pm »

We also have sand for sure. There are some patches in the migrant tunnels.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2023, 04:44:26 pm »

about the instrument thing. be sure to create extra. since our fortress is small, maybe 10 of each at least. with the exception of the stationary ones.

visitors will play instruments too, and annoyingly so, may leave the fortress with one, lol. i've had several masterpiece instruments stolen before. usually (and most of the time) by diplomats.

now on the matter of the thing being used or not, it depends on the performance we got. we're kinda stuck on worldgen, really. it has been my usual play goal trying to make dorfs to compose an art piece (either a dance, music, or poem). though i'm still not sure if it is possible. i'm not even sure why i'm very drawn to this side of the game, lol. hopefully one of our performance fits the requirement for that to happen.

on the side note. if we have any children turning into adult soon, can you please try to train one of them to be a mechanic? preferably a male if we do have one. i want one for a roleplay purposes, and since we probably won't be getting any new migrant during my turn.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2023, 04:52:11 pm »

Picking this up now.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2023, 04:53:41 pm »

Even if you don't, it can be bought from caravans if they have access to it, though you may need to specifically request it to get a meaningful amount. Fire clay is the best kind.
Similarly, bags of sand can be acquired from caravans.

forgot to add, porcelain is better, and the most expensive pottery :D
do request kaolinite if one of the caravan has it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2023, 05:15:32 pm »

about the instrument thing. be sure to create extra. since our fortress is small, maybe 10 of each at least. with the exception of the stationary ones.

visitors will play instruments too, and annoyingly so, may leave the fortress with one, lol. i've had several masterpiece instruments stolen before. usually (and most of the time) by diplomats.

geez, at this rate we will need a whole secondary musical instrument industry just to replenish our stocks. and any overstock might be worth a good price too.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2023, 10:38:18 pm »

ok, so i have some good news and some bad ones  :P

i did some digging into the currently available performances we have. and we do have a lot of lively ones.
bad news is, the only "complete" performance we have is a war dance. from my experience, they are less likely to be performed by dorfs, especially in small communities. another bad news is about half of the required instruments are foreign.

the good news is, one of our "incomplete" performance has a Participation Dance. the best kind of dance form, anyone can join without the "knowledge" requirement, creating a loooong line. and even better news, more than half of our dorf already know this form. a total of 28 so far "know" the musical form, this will be played a lot in tavern. sadly, it has no poem (no lyrics  :-X ).

Temple of Udar      :    1
Temple of Covema    :    1

The instruments we need. foreign instruments are mostly stationary i think. so we don't need much.
stationary (i think)
   Rakust
   Dalem
   Albish
   Om (metal)
   Omrist

handheld   (make a lot of these)
   Dumat   
   Igath (bone)

foreign
   Tustzal
   Gothum
   Zamnuth
   Sedish (handheld?)
   Elema
   Tathe

notes :
the (participation) dance seems to be performed in a line  (north-south). make sure we have a lot of space in the tavern.

we also have 2 religious performance in the general temple with no specific deity. make it spacious.
for specific temple, only Temple of Udar and Temple of Covema have a performance. double check the space when any of you create these temple, also make sure they have a valid performer.

extra notes :
- all the foreign instrument seems to be dwarven. make sure to contact other dorf civ that aren't our parent civ to trade with them.
- we also have some improv dance and music, but are less known. these can fill excitement need when performed. and i think, also the need to uphold tradition.
- if you think getting foreign instrument is too much of a hassle. i can DFhack my way through this during my turn. either make it available to craft, or available to trade with our parent civ.
- there's a pairing dance (for couples). i love these the most since they're adorable. making tavern looks like a proper fancy Ball. but sadly, very few (less than 5 i think) of our dorf know it. unlikely to be performed.

extra extra notes :
my crappy pc chokes on loading this save, lol. one digit fps is awful. but this is my problem and i'll figure something out myself.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2023, 12:28:34 am »

periwinkle of lilac   

what a banger of a title

Nice research. never seen someone do a thorough performance / instrument report like that

I think if the instruments are truly inaccesible then DF-hacking a few examples in is not against the theme of the fortress. "special order instruments, 2-day shipping!"

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2023, 04:56:15 am »

Nice research. never seen someone do a thorough performance / instrument report like that

probably because it's randomly generated at every world gen. it's something that most people won't bother with unless they're very invested in it.
i do dabble in these from time to time. and it just happen that our succession theme fits perfectly.

that said, i really want that couple dance, lol. (game term is Social Partner Dance, iirc. dorf will pair up instead of just standing in a line or a circle)
it's visually pleasing to see. i'll probably try to cheese it out during my turn. let me lock up some dorf  ;D

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2023, 05:57:25 am »

I actually downloaded the save and tried to look up the instruments in legends, but they're not there, or at least I couldn't find them. I don't think there's an easy way to look up the list of instruments in fortress mode either.

Very nice fortress btw, screenshots don't do it justice.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:01:06 am by Baprr »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15