Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 16234 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noblerivers: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2023, 09:40:27 pm »

3rd Felsite
Not good.

That giant alligator I was worried about decided to seize the moment, and by the moment I mean it seized Morul.

Spring isn’t even over yet, and we’ve already lost a dwarf. Iton wasn’t going to let this go quietly though. She promptly grabbed the alligator by the head and began shaking it until it passed out, and even then she didn’t stop. Kol, apparently consumed by rage, charged in and began bashing the unconscious gator with his crossbow. The fight continued to drag on until Kol was on the verge of passing out and Iton did pass out. Eventually the alligator finally bled out and we were able to recover the bodies. Asob made a coffin out of limestone for Morul. I’m making plans for a nice tomb. Perhaps that alligator's skull on a pedestal and a statue of Iton are in order.

In other news, the miners have finally found the aquifer. It’s in sandstone about ten layers beneath the water’s surface. Before we dig any deeper though, I’m going to get the forges up and have Kib make every last dwarf some steel weapons and armor and get some training happening. This last incident proves we aren’t in some friendly hillocks anymore. This is the real deal, and I’ll be damned if I lose another dwarf to a stupid mistake like this.

Next Entry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:34:58 am by Inatun »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 01:42:33 am »

So, purely hypothetically, when giant alligators get all seven, do we reclaim the same site? Or do we look for a less of an alligator-infested deathtrap?

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2023, 01:29:39 pm »

So, purely hypothetically, when giant alligators get all seven, do we reclaim the same site? Or do we look for a less of an alligator-infested deathtrap?
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

By the way, all of the dwarves are refusing to chop down any trees. I've tried assigning the woodcutting job to pretty much everyone and removed their other labors, but even when no other tasks are available no one touches any trees. Is this a bug?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2023, 03:02:15 pm »

Maybe the axes are already assigned for military use? I've had a similar problem, I don't remember at all how I solved it. I think I just bought an extra axe, but reassigning the equipment might help also.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2023, 03:13:30 pm »

make sure the axe is not, um, stuck in the river with the dead guy.

make sure dwarves have access to the surface

make sure dwarves are not burrowed in the wrong area

make sure woodcutters are not assigned military roles

finally make sure the woodcutter has no other tasks. woodcutting has always been pretty low on the 'do this now!' tier-list, so things like carpentry, crafting and (IIRC) hauling often take priority

Parry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2023, 04:41:13 pm »

Honestly it's pretty fitting to build a high-end resort in a wetland infested with alligators--just look at Florida.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2023, 06:57:57 pm »

Honestly it's pretty fitting to build a high-end resort in a wetland infested with alligators--just look at Florida.
Yeah, once we have glass walls and cage traps between us and all the things that want to violently murder us, we might even be considered a family-friendly establishment. Seeing as we don't have access to animatronic animals though, let's avoid attempting to re-create the Disney jungle cruise.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2023, 07:03:10 pm »

Yeah, once we have glass walls and cage traps between us and all the things that want to violently murder us, we might even be considered a family-friendly establishment. Seeing as we don't have access to animatronic animals though, let's avoid attempting to re-create the Disney jungle cruise.

but sir, these hippos look particularly trustworthy. what could possibly go wrong

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2023, 02:00:44 am »

Given that we're talking about dwarf fortress here we'd probably have to worry about the animatronic animals killing our dwarves just as easily as the regular ones do.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2023, 10:32:28 am »

5th Hematite

It’s summer finally. Quite a few of the dwarves are still reeling from what happened to Morul. Iton keeps going back to the site where it happened, poor girl. I’m digging out some proper bedrooms and a dining hall in one of the limestone layers, so hopefully those will boost the morale of the dwarves. I know they’re not up to the standards agreed on for this place, but for their own sanity I need them in stone bedrooms instead of a dirt dormitory for now.

19th Hematite

The basic bedrooms are carved out, and so is the new dining hall. Asob is working on smoothing out a nice room to bury Morul in. I’ve had the alligator’s skull made into a totem and it’s going to be placed on a pedestal in his tomb along with a statue of Iton. Likot still isn’t handling it well, so I’m making sure she gets the single masterwork bed Morul was able to create.

More than that though, we’ve got our first wave of migrants! Maybe they were already on their way here before word of what happened to Morul got out…

Bomrek Azinkeskal: An absolutely legendary bowyer! She’ll keep us well supplied with crossbows so our dwarves can deal with threats at range.

Ezum Zonlelum: She just turned 18 apparently and has no skills. For now I’ll have her be a general hauler unless we need something specific done.

Fikod Stukosaran: An expert jeweler, always handy.

Kikrost Kilruddegel: A legendary stonecrafter! Combine her with Fikod and we might be raking it in soon.

Lokum Gusilodgub: An accomplished carpenter, a fortunate catch since we lost Morul.

Melbil Uthmikkadol: A decent thresher, but also an accomplished furnace operator! With her help I can have us producing steel in no time!

Stinthad Logemroder: An adequate metalcrafter. I think I’ll have her mostly on hauling duty with Ezum for now though.

With this new batch we should be able to really get some stuff done around here, even if it just means more hands to haul goods around. I’m going to have Kib forge a load of steel picks and put a bunch of the migrants to work carving out the plans for the resort.

OOC: I've got a little bit more homework to do today, but hopefully it doesn't take long and I'll be able to do a marathon session tonight to get the year over and pass the save off to Salmeuk by the end of Wednesday.

Next Entry
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:41:34 pm by Inatun »

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2023, 02:36:58 pm »

finally here :D

so what's our planned main export here? i'm hoping it will be clothes and not crafts. i can't handle those clutters, lol. same with bolts and arrows. but i'll try to endure this time.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2023, 05:30:26 pm »

I'm honestly not sure what our main export is going to be yet, although being able to produce our own clothes would be nice. All I'm trying to focus on during my turn is getting a nice foundation laid for the rest of you.

At the moment though, it might be bone crossbows. We've got a legendary bowyer here and that alligator left behind 64 bones with a value multiplier of x3. I'm having her work through the giant otter bones first just to get some good crossbows for the military, but imagine what masterwork giant alligator bone crossbows could be worth if they're decorated a bit.

YoloMesh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2023, 08:18:15 pm »

im finally on the forums and the fort seems to be going well so far. have we breached the caverns yet?

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2023, 09:22:37 pm »

11th Galena

With brand new steel picks in hand, I’ve tasked some of the less busy dwarves with carving out some proper bedrooms. No more cramped quarters for our people, no sir.

The ‘citizens only’ tavern is also up. Though it lacks flair, at least there’s a proper place to relax and socialize now. Hopefully Likot will make good use of it since her mood still hasn’t improved. I’ve given her time off work to relax, but it doesn’t seem to be helping. The bedrooms on the left are going to be torn down and the area will be converted to a hospital soon.

Bomrek’s also been churning out epic bone crossbows like nobody’s business. We should be able to give a full squad masterwork crossbows pretty soon.

2nd Limestone

It’s Autumn finally, and the caravan is due any time now. I’ve got a feeling that some of the meals made from that alligator will fetch a hefty price but, just in case, I’m having our legendary stonecrafter do whatever she wants with some bauxite. The ground up top is also covered in nuts and apricots the trees have shed, so I’m having some of those gathered. Might as well add some more variety to our diet since we’ve been eating mostly otter and alligator.

13th Limestone

I’ve got another batch of claystone blocks made, so I’m hoping to finish the western tunnel. There are cage traps in place and the wildlife has been fairly tame, but I’m still going to keep my eye on the river while construction is going on. I’m going to place a statue of Morul at the entrance once it’s done, plus maybe one of Iton and her epic struggle with the beast.

15th Limestone

The caravan is here! I’ll take a look around and see what we can spare to trade away. Hopefully they’ve brought things we can use.

Next Entry

And that's where I'm calling it for the night. I want to give everyone a chance to weigh in on want we want to request they bring for next year. Salmeuk's turn is up next so he gets first dibs. Personally I think we should request silk, yarn, leather, some clothes, pearlash, and sheets of paper. The current caravan didn't really bring anything we can't make ourselves beyond some bins of cloth and cheese.
im finally on the forums and the fort seems to be going well so far. have we breached the caverns yet?
Glad to have you here! No, the caverns haven't been breached yet. I'll try and break through the aquifer before the end of my turn.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:41:23 pm by Inatun »

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2023, 11:13:36 pm »

I'm honestly not sure what our main export is going to be yet, although being able to produce our own clothes would be nice. All I'm trying to focus on during my turn is getting a nice foundation laid for the rest of you.

i see watermelon(?) and tomatillo (i think) on the map. is this the tropics?
could you start an (underground) aboveground farm? or is that too much to ask? ;D

crop request : longland grass, whip vine, rope reeds, and any kinds of brewable fruits (tomatillo is, but i'm not sure if that's tomatillo, lol)

personally prefer aboveground crops (hence rope reed for clothes, doesn't look like there's cotton on the map).
but we can also just do pig tail.

edit : would like to avoid crafts if possible. dorf claiming a bunch crafts and then littering is driving me nuts sometimes. at least clothes are degradable and will be gone with time. as for leftover stones, we can polish those and encrust them to the clothes, along with the bones/shells.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:17:07 pm by Chax »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15