Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 14910 times)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2023, 09:10:02 am »

By the way, I checked the visitors in legend mode, and didn't find any of them. The goblin was a baron consort, so I guess my question is what does it take to become a historical figure?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2023, 11:08:12 am »

I believe that being born to one automatically makes you one. A person who isn't a histfig can also become one if they somehow end up doing something notable (such as killing an invading beast), I believe, but this is not guaranteed to happen (hence why you sometimes hear of a megabeast being struck down by "an elf" or something, instead of a named figure). Though less than relevant here, talking to someone in adventurer mode also makes them a histfig, I think.
Also the game will generate 'void' histfigs under certain circumstances, that is, histfigs with no prior relation to anyone whatever. Your starting seven dwarves are an example of this. Hardcoded migrant waves can also be an example of this if your civ is unable to send you histfigs that were already present in the world (could happen if they're struggling in the extreme or just plain dead).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2023, 01:41:49 pm »

Those "visitors" have probably assumed a new identity, so you can't find them from Legends with their fake names. So, they all most likely have schemes and artifact thefts on their mind.

The Wiki has a good page on historical figures, if you want to learn more:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Historical_figure

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2023, 01:44:14 pm »

Are villains better at disguises now? In 47.05 (which I still play at the moment, even though I do have 50.0x), they have a tendency to all be labeled Traveler in my experience, and rarely seem to actually use false names even if they do have the occasional alias. I've tried looking them up in Legends sometimes and have been able to look up particularly noteworthy ones under the names they introduced themselves as. (Although I do play with semi-heavily modded DF, I do not have any DFHack mods, and no rawmod can change that aspect of villainy.)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2023, 05:00:56 pm »

Yep, found them... Villians all of them.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2023, 05:03:27 pm »

I have noticed a tendency for the vast majority of visitors beelining to a fort to be villains, except for the very early "came became I'm curious" ones. Not sure if that was changed in 50.0x, but in 47.05 you can easily end up with 90% of your visitors being villains - though that would typically require a world infested with more villains than usual (such as an exceptional number of necromancer towers). I can say this from experience because I did make a world infested with an exceptional number of necromancer towers, and about 90% of my total visitors have been villains (not counting diplomats who arrive with the caravans... even though one of them is actually a villain, she's never tried to mess with my fort).
EDIT: Just did a count of villains vs. non-villains and, if we count duplicates (the same visitor visiting multiple times), the villainy percentage actually comes out to around 93.91%. If we don't, it comes out to around 91.22%.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 06:18:27 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2023, 08:37:49 pm »

but in 47.05 you can easily end up with 90% of your visitors being villains

this is a handy statistic to have on hand when the Fortress Police come knocking, asking why you've killed %90 of your population in a matter of days . .

looking forward to the next update!

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2023, 09:02:21 pm »

Out of three visitors I got during my year, three were under false names. One even visited Noblerivers before, in 251 under a different alias. So looks like our riches do draw in a certain crowd.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2023, 09:05:55 pm »

These were the actual numbers.
Code: [Select]
villain count: 230
    villains who appeared once: 148
    villains who appeared twice: 65
    villains who appeared thrice: 14
    villains who appeared four times: 3
    villains who appeared five times:

non-villain count: 14
    non-villains who appeared once: 13
    non-villains who appeared twice: 1
My embark is also very isolated, being only within neighbor range of two civilizations and literally on oceanfront land. Didn't stop many many villains from coming my way.
(Note that the number of villains is not 100% accurate because there were just so many I could have accidentally fudged them up or down by a bit on the larger counts.)
(Also note that the fort in question has been running for about eight in-game years. It's currently late spring of the eighth year of gameplay.)
(I'm sure most of this is irrelevant to Noblerivers, but still, it's interesting to note how prevalent villainy is - even though my example is somewhat extreme.)
EDIT: Also I literally eyeballed the 90% and then was like "...I should fact-check myself" and I did and I was surprised to see I actually got it about right.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 09:31:44 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2023, 09:33:33 pm »

I recall something about the way villainous plots are generated results in a lot of co-conspirators being drawn in, perhaps too many, and this resulted in just about every notable member of your civilization having SOME kind of connection to the villainous entity. . might be mis-remembering that.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2023, 09:35:49 pm »

well that's the thing my civ should by rights be dead, or just about. When I initially embarked there was literally not a king, and one only got appointed (from a necro tower!) because I embarked. So, like, none of the villains or indeed visitors at all have actually been from my civ. I hardly ever see dwarves (world is semi-heavily modded with slightly over 10 more races than usual), and those that I do see have either been intdead or necros.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2023, 01:55:00 am »

just got back from the countryside today. not my turn yet, right? :D

gonna spend the rest of the day sleeping, lol.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2023, 11:52:11 am »

welcome back! actually... not sure whose turn it is. I think it might be yours in fact? 

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2023, 06:11:14 pm »

TheDorfist had to bow out due to life stuff, so YoloMesh is up next. Take some extra time if necessary since you probably weren't planning on taking your turn this soon.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2023, 09:28:53 pm »

TheDorfist had to bow out due to life stuff, so YoloMesh is up next. Take some extra time if necessary since you probably weren't planning on taking your turn this soon.

for real? :o
gimme 2 days, i still need to sort a few things irl (also need to set up better pc, heh)

should be ready to play around tuesday (gmt +7)

for now i'll just download the latest safe, it was yours, no?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15