Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: A Kobold's Quest  (Read 57595 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Kobold's Quest
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2007, 12:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>Bra-f*cking-vo.

I await the sequel with bated breath.     :)</STRONG>

Yeah.

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2007, 05:11:00 am »

*cries tears of both joy and sadness, truly moved*  :(
This is definitely the best story ever, in all time, in the all the multiverses.

Death told her about the secret? Damn, how did he find out about that!  :mad: At least he got the elevator to finally work.

I... I do not have words, you, AlanL, has left Armok wordless.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

I'm really glad you all enjoyed it, I think it's the first real rp/fan-fic story I've ever released, and it turned out better than I imagined (how many times have I said this already?   :D

As for the sequel, I'm not sure how purist people tend to be. Some of the foundations for what I have planned for the story are either impossible in or not simulated in DF, so in order to truly bring the whole plot to work, I'd need to use a lot of creative license and use utilities every now and then. Some of the story would end up being purely written, not based on events in DF. I'm not sure if people would mind that or not. Almost all of the simple or conventional stuff would take place in DF though, and the DF universe would be honored where it applies.

[ October 15, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>I'm really glad you all enjoyed it, I think it's the first real rp/fan-fic story I've ever released, and it turned out better than I imagined (how many times have I said this already?    :D

As for the sequel, I'm not sure how purist people tend to be. Some of the foundations for what I have planned for the story are either impossible in or not simulated in DF, so in order to truly bring the whole plot to work, I'd need to use a lot of creative license and use utilities every now and then. Some of the story would end up being purely written, not based on events in DF. I'm not sure if people would mind that or not. Almost all of the simple or conventional stuff would take place in DF though, and the DF universe would be honored where it applies.

[ October 15, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]</STRONG>

Write the story as in your mind, do not be constrained by mere facts of the game.
Cheatsy as muths as ye wantsi!
The game is as of not yet completed, let not those very few impurities of incompleteness pollute this masterpiece.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:00 am »

Sounds good to me :P

Currently I'm still brainstorming it, and also, since my break is up (the only reason I'm posting right now is because I'm home sick), I won't be able to fire updates as if they were coming out of an elven bow. But, I should be able to start relatively soon.

edit: Some interesting facts after the matter

-The title the game gave Fale was clipped off the screen. I used my interpretation of the clipped version, but I later found out the actual title and it was something not as cool  :p

-It took a few tries to get the screenshot with Fale throwing the kings corpse.

<SPOILY>
-There are some hints scattered around about the sequel, and one section that will be mirrored in it
</SPOILY>

-I had to give humans a negative [DAMBLOCK] to make the last fight work right at all. The guys armor was just too tough. The damblock was reset when Fale got the mace though.

-I discovered that not all guards are generated equal, some are n00bies, some are nearly elite.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

I second the request to not allow yourself to be constrained by the actual capability of DF in your writing.  You've shown that your creative license is well worth taking already.    :p

Forgot to ask this, but.. gnomes in the lineage?  How'd that happen?  I mean, sure there's the obvious 'when a gnome loves a kobold very, very much..', but how'd that in particular come to pass?  (I could probably guess, but I want to know...)

[ October 15, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Well, I guess I could get away with saying that a long time before the event, one of his fathers ancestors had strange tastes, and met a gnome with similarly strange tastes. Despite being different species somehow it worked anyway. You can fill in the blanks. The kobolds lived on and the gnomes were wiped out (probably competition from dwarves or by force from goblins). I think you'll find that even though the gnomish portions of his lineage are rather small (a lot of time passed), it still shows     :p

Actually, I left out just how gnomish lineage got in there because I didn't want people to think too deeply into it and get grossed out or anything XD

Edit: If you're referring to how the kobold and gnome actually would've got together, I never really thought about that. Theres a chance that gnomes and kobolds respected one another and had a lot of trade etc. in the 'old days'.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

See, peculiar taste occurred to me, but I wasn't *quite* sure that was it and nothing else; the only other explanation coming to mind, however, was that *way* long ago the different sapients weren't quite as "separated" biologically as they were when this particular story started, allowing breeding to occur.  I guess the bigger question in my head is what the deal is with fantasy race biology in this case; both kobolds and gnomes might be humanoid mammals, but does that really mean they can breed, and if so what does the genetics of the various races actually look like?
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>See, peculiar taste occurred to me, but I wasn't *quite* sure that was it and nothing else; the only other explanation coming to mind, however, was that *way* long ago the different sapients weren't quite as "separated" biologically as they were when this particular story started, allowing breeding to occur.  I guess the bigger question in my head is what the deal is with fantasy race biology in this case; both kobolds and gnomes might be humanoid mammals, but does that really mean they can breed, and if so what does the genetics of the various races actually look like?</STRONG>

But kobolds are canines (in this story) and gnomes are primates (they look very mutsh like humans)!  :(

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

Kobolds might be canine or canine-like, but they're bipedal and intelligent, like their ape-like peers. I could either say that they got lucky and there was just the right combination of genes to make a working child (it would've had to have ended up essentially a kobold physically speaking, otherwise it would be more difficult for it to act within kobold society, and also, assuming the mother was a kobold, it probably wouldn't have worked otherwise), or I could say that it happened because different laws of genetics apply to these creatures rather than the creatures on Earth.     :p

Edit: And as far as them getting together, again, since at the time it was unlikely that kobold and gnomish society were merged or living together, it would've probably been something like love at first sight on a trading run, combined with odd tastes. About them being less distant in the past, I'm thinking that this would have happened in the range of a century or two beforehand, not millions of years.

Edit II: I think this is funny that this has become the primary discussion topic after the end of the story  :p

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2008, 01:12:00 am »

I have to agree with Impending Doom... it is nice to see this thread again. Also nice to see the two side by side. It's been a long time since I've seen this thread up...

It's nice to remember the days when adventure mode was merely the prototype for handling 3d, and when abandoned fortresses were partitioned into 3d segments semi-randomly.

Thanks again, all who supported me here.

Edit: I just had to take an image of the threads being side by side on the forum list.

I realize this constitutes a double post and a necro... if it isn't justified, just let it drop.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

Of course it's justified. If it's not I'll give up my nobility!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

The greatest part of this story (Yes, I know this is weird.) But is the fact that it had a solid ending, and the Main character died.  Even if it was in the epilogue.  Now to start reading KQII

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

It was alright.
I was expecting better though, it isn't as good as everyone made it sound D:

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2009, 12:55:26 pm »

Wow this was really good.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6