Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The benefits or not of wearing double armor  (Read 6090 times)

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The benefits or not of wearing double armor
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

Back to history for a moment:

"Platemail" is a D&D-spawned ahistorical term which is confusing because it isn't consistently understood what it is trying to refer to.

That image of armor is a gunpowder-era design, hence that open-faced helmet style and the plate only on the front of the thighs.

That IS a historical (I think post-medieval, like the suit) armored codpiece! The reason you rarely see them in display suits is largely because later generations (see Victorian era) decided they were too suggestive and tended to remove them.

[ May 11, 2007: Message edited by: PvK ]

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>You should consider the posibility that this "codpiece" actually is part of the armor stand. Lighting isn't perfect, but I don't see such a thing on the armor on the wall.
</STRONG>

I've seen armours being worn in a documentary, and yeah they have the huge codpiece.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

Makes you wonder who thought it up in the first place...

I mean why would you need that much, uh, room?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

I27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

I assume it needed to be large so that it can be easily grasped and "unzipped" while wearing armored gloves

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

hmm that makes sense, but anything at all that sticks out is a weakness when it comes to plate armour.

If someone smashed a hammer down onto that part of the the armour somethings gonna break.

Same reason armour spikes are a bad idea. They stick out and catch more force and deflect less than smooth armour. Plus they get stuck in the ground when you fall over and thats never fun.

Armour spikes meant as weapons are okay though, they are placed in locations that wont get in the way and that you can easily bash someone with em.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Makes you wonder who thought it up in the first place...

I mean why would you need that much, uh, room?</STRONG>

That's to prevent "the tink effect" you get when the queen walks by.  I would imagine it accounted for quite a large number of beheadings of ordinarily loyal knights.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

It doubles as battering ram...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

For what? the postern gate? :P

so much possible innuendo   :eek:

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>
Keep in mind that people in medieval times (and further back) did not have a very good diet. Mostly it was based on grain bread, and or potatoes. Because of that people were a lot smaller back then. You ate what you could get, not what composed a nutritiously balanced diet. The average roman for example, was much shorter then 6 feet.
</STRONG>

Potato farming in medieval Europe is a bold, if unorthodox, idea  ;). Also knights tended to eat better than an average peasant.
In general people tend to confuse 15-16th century tournament armour, which was really cumbersome indeed with genuine military equipment.

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

In fact, one of the most common type of armour was the coat of plates (circa 1300 to 1500). This was a leather coat with plates of metal front, sides, and back.
This was worn over a hauberk -- a sort of chainmail knee-length 'dress' that usually incorporated a chainmail hood and, sometimes, chainmail gauntlets. This would usually be worn over soft, padded garments to protect the skin.
Over the top of the coat of plates, you'd wear a surcoat: a long cloth robe that was usually decorated with a coat of arms.
Then you'd have your helm, sword, and shield.

Full plate-armour was extra-ordinarily expensive and was usually limited to only the wealthiest of nobility and kings. Most knights would have worn either the arrangement above or a breastplate and faulds over a hauberk, sometimes with chausses (chainmail leggings) and tassets (a segmented metal 'skirt'. But even these arrangements were phenominally expensive.

Despite what the films would have you believe, armoured 'tanks' really weren't that common a sight on the battlefield.

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OverrideB1:
[QB]In fact, one of the most common type of armour was the coat of plates (circa 1300 to 1500). This was a leather coat with plates of metal front, sides, and back.
QB]

There was also brigantine, i think it was banded mail with strips of metal sewn inside a cloth garment. Supposedly very common.

Pages: 1 2 [3]