Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 50.07 Weapon Science  (Read 5006 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: 50.07 Weapon Science
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2023, 06:35:41 pm »

You can characterize the relationship between two metals' edged capabilities as (SHEAR_FRACTURE_a/SHEAR_FRACTURE_d)*(MAX_EDGE/10000) If you do that calculation on adamantine vs steel compared to steel vs anything, it's kinda clear why adamantine just sorta always wins.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 50.07 Weapon Science
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2023, 04:32:42 am »

Yep. I was a little surprised that the adamanite sword could be deflected at all, since the material advantage in edge is so strong.

I suspect it has to do with momentum, if the equations in this post are correct, an adamantine short sword should have 0.114x the momentum of a steel short sword, it has 6.9x the shear fracture and 10x the max edge, so overall it should have 7.2x the penetration ability. That's a low enough advantage that I can see how a deflection is possible.

The axe on the other hand, being much heavier, should when made of addy have something like 0.23x the momentum of a steel axe and overall 15.9x the penetration ability.

In short, the sword is so light that its momentum suffers badly when made from addy. It's still much more penetrating than a steel sword, but the axe benefits a lot more from addy than the sword does.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:19:51 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]