Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !Fun! fortress death spiral  (Read 901 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!Fun! fortress death spiral
« on: February 14, 2023, 01:12:51 pm »

I just had my first fortress destruction with the Steam version, had some fun features.  A demon popped out to attack a careless miner. Both the miner and the demon were killed quickly, no biggie, happens all the time.  But shortly afterward, I started getting reports of mass deaths.  I couldn't figure out quite what was going on but the deaths were clustering around the dining hall.  I then noticed a puddle of "demon goo" in the mist generator, presumably washed off the axedwarfs who killed the fiend.  Other dwarfs then walked through the puddle (or it was spread by the mist?), caught the syndrome and died horribly.  Interestingly, some dwarfs tried to go the well to wash the goo off.  Inevitably, some died while doing so...and the visiting poet hanging out there turned out to be a necromancer, who then animated the corpses, who then killed any other dwarfs trying to wash the goo off.  Population dropped from 120 to 20 within one season, and the miasma from the corpses drove the rest insane. I haven't had a fort collapse so suddenly in years. Good fun!   

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: !Fun! fortress death spiral
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 11:40:57 pm »

Oh, very nice. I remember the last time I had a full collapse was a were-animal-caused loyalty cascade.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !Fun! fortress death spiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 01:06:31 pm »

It is good to know the syndromes form the goo and such still work. All the forgotten beasts I have faced with deadly spittle and deadly dust and deadly blood that didn't seem to do anything to my dwarves had me worried it was bugged out of existence.