Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions from a beginner  (Read 1285 times)

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
Some questions from a beginner
« on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:00 pm »

Greetings!

My first question is what is the best armor I can get, and where can I look for it?

I was wondering also if it was possible to break necks in wrestling mode. I know you can strangle, and throw by the head, but is there any deadlier methods?

My last question is what is the best way to make money? So far, I've gotten most of my money from the equipment of fallen comrades, but I don't like seeing them die all the time, lol.

Thanks!

You die in the heat.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions from a beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:17:00 pm »

The best armor you can get is only available if you made a set in fortress mode and then abandoned it, AFAIK. Normally, the best material is iron, and look for items with "quality" levels that are high.

Breaking necks, slitting throats, tearing off limbs and so on aren't in right now, but Toady is working on getting them in later.

IMO the best way to make money is to find a goblin fortress and rob them blind.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »

Why do you need the money? I haven't found anything that I couldn't trade up for, you'll find the occasional masterwork doodad in a ruin and can trade up your chain to plate. My adventured is decked in exceptional or better iron plate and I've never touched a coin, i tried selling for cash once but i was given an IOU

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »

Thanks for your input!

Coins should appear next to the merchant's stack, those are the "IOU". Basically, anything that doesn't have $'s beside it is fair game to take.

I was also wondering if it was possible to do anything with the corpse of creatures in adventure mode. For example, taking them to the butcher, or tanner to make edible meat, or armor. (not quite so edible)

BTW- Dwarf Fortress is one of my top three favortie freeware games. Hip Hip Huzzah!

You die in the heat.

Somagu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »

No, you can't do anything with corpses, I don't think, not yet.

Toady is still putting such features in.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

They do make good projectiles, especially when on fire.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Syreal:
<STRONG>
BTW- Dwarf Fortress is one of my top three favortie freeware games. Hip Hip Huzzah!</STRONG>

Um, sorry to tell you dude, but its not freeware. Its free right now, because its an alpha version being basicly playtested. But eventually, it will cost money for the game.

But, that said, its like no other game I have played in 3 decades of gaming. I have never heard of any alpha being playable. At best alphas are barely interactive at all. But this game, just as it is right now, plays better than most commercial games I've played. and its far more replayable than most of the games I've played that bragged about how "replayable" they were. Toady and Three Toe could stop work on it right now, and it would still blow most commercial games out of the water! OK, the graphics bite and the controls are clunky, but the gameplay is already better than almost every other game ever done.

So its a fantastic game, but its not freeware, its only free-for-now-ware. I dont know how I will buy the full game when the time comes (I'm on a very small fixed income.), but I will damn sure find a way!

ho watches those that watch us???

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

Hate to rain on your parade Darkie, but didn't ToadyOne say that the games he is making and will make in the future be free for all eternity, the same applying to all the bay12games?

WolfRaider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

Well... if it will truly remain freeware, then donations are certainly gonna flow in.
At least, I'm certain that I'll donate every now and then, because of the quality and work that has been, and will be put into the game.

Keep up the good work!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by darknight:
<STRONG>

Um, sorry to tell you dude, but its not freeware. Its free right now, because its an alpha version being basicly playtested. But eventually, it will cost money for the game.
</STRONG>

This is wrong.   Where did you get such an idea?

I believe it is part of the Bay12Games spirit to provide games for free. THAT BEING SAID: Donations are important and everyone should try to donate once in a while.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

Do note that while it's freeware, that means it's gratisware*, not librisware**.  I might wish it were the latter, because I'd love to tinker with the guts of the thing and I'd bet that more coders could optimize routines and improve the UI greatly, but this is how Toady prefers to work, and given how awesome it's been so far, I can't complain too much.

*Free as in beer
**Free as in freedom

[ January 05, 2007: Message edited by: Fieari ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

Yeah, all Bay 12 Games are and will be beerware.  A few of them are freedomware, when I want to hurt people.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

My bad then. I misunderstood some other posts I read. My apologies to one and all.

But if anything, being beerware, or dwarven aleware(!), just makes you and this game even more impressive. Specially as militantly commercial as most people are today! I have found a few others doing the same thing with other programs, but not with games. People see games as cash-cows today.

I was already planning to add a DF fan site to my domain. Wont be the same as donating cash, but maybe I can turn a few more onto the game, and they might contribute. Until Uncle Sam decides to give disabled people an income they can actually LIVE on, or until I find some way to add to my meager pay, its the best I can do. (Too bad being an outspoken opinionated agitator doesnt pay anything, or I'd be rich! [Former political activist.])

ho watches those that watch us???